Firefox 3.5 Preview now available for beta users

Samuel Sidler

Jun 8, 2009, 8:16:54 PM6/8/09
to dev. planning
(Please note: This Firefox 3.5 Preview is intended for developer
testing and community feedback. We recommend that most users wait for
the official Firefox 3.5 release, which is coming soon.)

The 800,000+ users of Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 will be receiving an update
to a "Firefox 3.5 Preview" release in order to assist us with further
testing and feedback. This update contains many fixes for stability
bugs, correctness fixes for our JavaScript engine, and improvements to
our built in support for open Ogg based video and audio playback.
While this release has not yet completed the testing required to be
declared a release candidate, it is considered stable for daily
browsing use and we appreciate your assistance in helping us test and
evaluate this preview release.

If you're a Firefox 3.5 Beta user you should be receiving this update
automatically within the next 24 hours. To get the update immediately,
select "Check for Updates..." in the "Help" menu.

If you're not yet a Firefox 3.5 Beta user, we recommend that you wait
for the upcoming Firefox 3.5 Release Candidate, which should be in the
next 1-2 weeks. If you'd like to become a beta tester for Firefox 3.5
and subsequent updates, please install the latest available beta and
install any offered updates.

You can download Firefox 3.5 Beta from: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

Developers should also read the Firefox 3.5 for Developers article on
the Mozilla Developer Center: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Firefox_3.5_for_developers

Note: Please do not link directly to the download site. Instead we
strongly encourage you to link to this Firefox 3.5 Preview milestone
announcement so that everyone will know what this milestone is, what
they should expect, and who should be downloading to participate in
testing at this stage of development.

palmo...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2009, 10:06:15 PM6/8/09
> You can download Firefox 3.5 Beta from:http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

links are 3.5b4, not 3.5 preview.
where is 3.5 preview ?

John J. Barton

Jun 9, 2009, 10:49:13 AM6/9/09
FYI, I'm not sure if this is connected to the 3.5b5-but-not-b5 thing,
but my nightly build:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1pre)
Gecko/20090605 Shiretoko/3.5pre

has not succeeded in updating since this announcement.

jjb

Dave Townsend

Jun 9, 2009, 10:40:23 AM6/9/09

Only beta users will see the update. You are on a nightly build which
ought to be receiving updates once a day, not sure why yours hasn't though.

Mike Beltzner

Jun 9, 2009, 10:41:13 AM6/9/09
to John J. Barton, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
You're running a nightly build; that won't update to the "Preview". If
you're running a beta, it will.

cheers,
mike

John J. Barton

Jun 9, 2009, 11:33:50 AM6/9/09

I think I figured it out: one update had already been downloaded, but it
could not install because I had a second copy of FF 3.5 running. When I
exited both of them and restarted one, the install completed. Then I
could update again.

jjb

John J Barton

Jun 9, 2009, 12:57:10 PM6/9/09
Samuel Sidler wrote:
> (Please note: This Firefox 3.5 Preview is intended for developer testing
> and community feedback. We recommend that most users wait for the
> official Firefox 3.5 release, which is coming soon.)

Unfortunately I will have to recommend that Firebug users avoid FF
3.5b99 because of Bug 497119. Since 3.5b4 has a different set of
problems for Firebug, we'll have to look for a nightly from a few days
ago to recommend.

jjb

Mike Beltzner

Jun 9, 2009, 4:01:40 PM6/9/09
to johnj...@johnjbarton.com, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Is that bug marked as firebug-p1 and nominated or marked as blocking?
Firefox Preview is closer to what we plan on shipping as 3.5 than b4.

cheers,
mike

jjb

John J Barton

Jun 9, 2009, 4:13:40 PM6/9/09
Mike Beltzner wrote:
> Is that bug marked as firebug-p1 and nominated or marked as blocking?
> Firefox Preview is closer to what we plan on shipping as 3.5 than b4.

Yes and yes.
A Firefox version that will work with Fireubg and is closer to Preview
than b4 is:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/2009-06-05-04-mozilla-1.9.1/

jjb

Nicholas Nethercote

Jun 9, 2009, 6:45:12 PM6/9/09
to John J. Barton, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM, John J.
Barton<johnj...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:

>>> FYI, I'm not sure if this is connected to the 3.5b5-but-not-b5 thing,
>>> but my nightly build:
>>>
>>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1pre)
>>> Gecko/20090605 Shiretoko/3.5pre
>>>
>>> has not succeeded in updating since this announcement.
>>
>> Only beta users will see the update. You are on a nightly build which
>> ought to be receiving updates once a day, not sure why yours hasn't though.

I too am running a Shiretoko nightly build. Unfortunately, I've found
the naming scheme used (and thus this whole thread) totally confusing,
and have no idea the difference between previews, betas, nightly
builds, and which one I should be running.

Nick

Mike Shaver

Jun 9, 2009, 6:46:56 PM6/9/09
to Nicholas Nethercote, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Nicholas
Nethercote<n.neth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I too am running a Shiretoko nightly build.

Stay the course.

Mike