Firefox 3 Beta 4 now available for download

Mike Beltzner

Mar 10, 2008, 8:15:35 PM3/10/08
to dev. planning, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org, anno...@lists.mozilla.org, support...@lists.mozilla.org, gen...@lists.mozilla.org
* follow-up to: mozilla.dev.planning
* or, reply-to: dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org

Please note: We do not recommend that anyone other than developers and
testers download the Firefox 3 Beta 4 milestone release. It is intended
for testing purposes only.

Firefox 3 Beta 4 is now available for download. This is the twelfth
developer milestone focused on testing the core functionality provided
by many new features and changes to the platform scheduled for Firefox
3. Ongoing planning for Firefox 3 can be followed at the Firefox 3
Planning Center, as well as in mozilla.dev.planning and on
irc.mozilla.org in #granparadiso.

New features and changes in this milestone that require feedback include:

* Improvements to the user interface: better search support in the
Download Manager, ability to zoom entire page or just the text,
continuing look and feel improvements on Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac
OS X and Linux.

* Richer personalization through: location bar that uses an
algorithm based on site visit recency and frequency (called "frecency")
to provide better matches against your history and bookmarks for URLs
and page titles, as well as an adaptive learning algorithm which tunes
itself to your browsing habits.

* Improved platform features such as: support for HTML5's
window.postMessage and window.messageEvent, JavaScript 1.8 improvements,
and offline data storage for web applications.

* Performance improvements: changes to our JavaScript engine as
well as profile guided optimization resulted in significant gains over
previous releases in the popular SunSpider test from Apple, web
applications like Google Mail and Zoho Office run much faster, and
continued improvements to memory usage drastically reduce the amount of
memory consumed over long web browsing sessions.

You can find out more about all of these features in the "What's New"
section of the release notes:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/3.0b4/releasenotes

Testers can download Firefox 3 Beta 4 builds for Windows, Mac OS X and
Linux in over 30 different languages:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all-beta.html

---------
Note: Please do not link directly to the download site. Instead we
strongly encourage you to link to this Firefox 3 Beta 4 milestone at:
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2008/03/10/firefox-3-beta-4-now-available-for-download

AndrewM

Mar 10, 2008, 10:01:33 PM3/10/08
Two small comments on the release notes:

* Under Known Issues - All Systems, there is an extra 'bug': "bug bug
406807"

* The link under Known Issues - Microsoft Windows about Windows Media
Player links to the MozillaZine KB article at <http://
kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Media_Player#Missing_plugin>; there is now
an article on SUMO (adapted from the MozillaZine article) at <http://
support.mozilla.com/kb/Windows+Media+Player> which I find clearer and
more concise. And for users who want more technical details they can
always click on the link to the MozillaZine article at the bottom.

AndrewM

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Mar 11, 2008, 1:42:04 PM3/11/08

Have they cured the problem on Mac version here the FireFox (called
GranPardisio) would take over all icon of Firefox and Seamonkey and even
if you had seamonkey set up as your choice of web Browser GranPardiso
would take over those settings. and if you opened Profile folder of
Seamonkey or FireFox all SeaMonkey /Firefox icons would change to
Grandpardiso icon

If they haven't fixed those problem I want no part of it. And recommend
that anyone using Macs stay away from it until fixed. I even have a
Bugzilla report (old) about it.

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com