weekly development meetings

Mike Shaver

Aug 30, 2008, 12:02:48 PM8/30/08
to mozilla.dev.planning group
[I tried to send this yesterday, but apparently can't spell
"planning", and the group for development of wood-smoothing techniques
hasn't been created yet.]

Beltzner is on a well-deserved extended long weekend, so I am posting
this on his behalf. I have made some edits, which are responsible for
any confusion and error below; the improvement to our process is due
to him, and the folks who have given feedback on our current meeting
model.

We're going to change up our pair of weekly meetings a bit, in order
to make it easier for people to be present for the discussions they
need to be part of, and for people to skip meetings they can skip. It
should reduce duplication between the two meetings, while also making
it easier for the support and QA teams to deliver high level feedback
to the product drivers, and keep the outbound communication groups
more in the loop. The goal is to have:

- a meeting that allows developers working on the trunk to collaborate
and co-ordinate their efforts, ask for help, and get input
- a meeting for all the various teams and people involved in shipping
the next branch and trunk versions of Firefox

So, starting this coming week, we have

== The DEVELOPMENT MEETING (Tuesday, 11AM Pacific) ==

PURPOSE: This meeting will be for developers working on future
versions of Firefox to co-ordinate and collaborate in order to ensure
that focus and attention are being paid to the right areas, and that
shared development milestones can be met.

GENERAL AGENDA:
- status updates on feature development (both front-end and platform)
- identifying areas of code risk for upcoming milestones
- discussion of security review impacts, standards/spec compliance
work, internal and external dependencies

There is an agenda and notes template here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2008-09-02

WHO SHOULD ATTEND: If you're a developer working on future versions of
Gecko or Firefox, you should try to be there or at the least to have
your status/needs/preferences captured in the wiki beforehand.

== The FIREFOX DELIVERY MEETING (Wednesday, 11AM Pacific) ==

PURPOSE: This meeting will be for people involved with building,
testing, delivering, publicizing and supporting Firefox as we work to
ship it to end-users. This is an expansion on the latter parts of the
Firefox (3, 3.1, etc.) meetings, allowing us to collaborate and
prepare for the delivery of various versions of Firefox. The support
and QA teams will deliver feedback from the community, the
localization, build and QA teams will co-ordinate their activities to
the Firefox schedule, and the evangelism and marketing teams can keep
up to date about new and upcoming technologies.

GENERAL AGENDA:
- delivery schedule updates (informed by development meeting)
- what's new on the trunk / alpha / beta builds
- early feedback from support, developer relations and other communities
- upcoming localization, QA, build activities on Firefox
- areas to evangelize with the community and promote more widely

There is an agenda and notes template here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2008-09-03

WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Anyone interested and involved in the delivery of
the next version (branch or trunk) of Firefox. Product drivers, QA
reps, localization leads, build reps, marketing and evangelism reps
and support reps should be there.

The wiki structure needs to be altered a bit to support this, which we
can do next week, and we should see how these meetings go for the
first few iterations to see if we need to tune timing or ordering
based on the new attendee mix.

Thanks,
Some Mikes