Moving mozilla-aurora, mozilla-beta repos on hg.m.o

John O'Duinn

May 3, 2011, 5:28:08 PM5/3/11
to dev. planning, dev-tree-management
(reposting after platform meeting, as promised.)
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2011-05-03#Tree_Management

NOTE: If you are using mozilla-central, or any of the project branches,
hit delete now. This change *only* impacts the few people landing
patches directly into mozilla-aurora, or mozilla-beta.

On hg.mozilla.org, we are moving two repos:
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-aurora -->
http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-aurora
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-beta -->
http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-beta

For the last few weeks, we've had symlinks in place, so people didnt
notice the repo move. These symlinks will remain for the next few weeks to:

* allow the few developers who have a patch-in-progress for aurora/beta
to still be able to land the patch. However, people starting new patches
for mozilla-aurora, mozilla-beta should reclone or update their .hg/hgrc
file.
* allow releng automation to be changed with no/little disruption to
production trees
* workaround a problem with web UI for hg.m.o.

To avoid complications, this transition will be completed a) after
FF5.0b1 build work is done (today) and b) before mozilla-beta goes live
on the the first scheduled drop from mozilla-aurora --> mozilla-beta on
17may. Once the last of the Release automation changes are live in
production, we will then remove the symlinks.

Further details, and comments/feedback, in bug#652229.

timeless

May 3, 2011, 5:36:13 PM5/3/11
to jod...@mozilla.com, dev. planning, dev-tree-management
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM, John O'Duinn <jod...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> (reposting after platform meeting, as promised.)
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2011-05-03#Tree_Management

> This change *only* impacts the few people landing

> patches directly into mozilla-aurora, or mozilla-beta.

And anyone running cross references....

> For the last few weeks, we've had symlinks in place, so people didnt
> notice the repo move. These symlinks will remain for the next few weeks to:

> Further details, and comments/feedback, in bug#652229.

grumble. i don't consider this proper planning.

Ms2ger

May 3, 2011, 6:01:40 PM5/3/11
On 05/03/2011 11:28 PM, John O'Duinn wrote:
> we will then remove the symlinks.

Does that mean all links to m-aurora changesets (in bugzilla comments,
say) will break? If so, do we consider that acceptable?

(I suppose m-beta is fine, since that repository isn't yet in use.)

Thanks
Ms2ger

Kyle Huey

May 3, 2011, 6:10:52 PM5/3/11
to Ms2ger, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Well, we've already broken (or will break) a bunch of changeset links to the
twig repos when they are reset ... so this isn't anything new.

- Kyle

Gavin Sharp

May 3, 2011, 6:22:46 PM5/3/11
to Kyle Huey, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, Ms2ger
It's much more serious, though, since these repos *are* longstanding
(and having references to aurora-branch landings being broken is more
annoying). Seems like we should make an effort to keep the http://
links working with server-side redirects.

Gavin

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Kyle Huey <m...@kylehuey.com> wrote:
> Well, we've already broken (or will break) a bunch of changeset links to the
> twig repos when they are reset ... so this isn't anything new.
>
> - Kyle

L. David Baron

May 3, 2011, 6:31:45 PM5/3/11
to John O'Duinn, dev. planning, dev-tree-management
On Tuesday 2011-05-03 14:28 -0700, John O'Duinn wrote:
> On hg.mozilla.org, we are moving two repos:
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-aurora -->
> http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-aurora
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-beta -->
> http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-beta
>
> For the last few weeks, we've had symlinks in place, so people didnt
> notice the repo move. These symlinks will remain for the next few weeks to:
>
> * allow the few developers who have a patch-in-progress for aurora/beta
> to still be able to land the patch. However, people starting new patches
> for mozilla-aurora, mozilla-beta should reclone or update their .hg/hgrc
> file.
> * allow releng automation to be changed with no/little disruption to
> production trees
> * workaround a problem with web UI for hg.m.o.

Pushing to the new locations (the ones with "/releases/") doesn't
actually work correctly yet since:
* the hgweb cache for the old location (without /releases/) isn't
cleared, so it shows old data
* builds aren't triggered automatically
* if builds are manually triggered, they fail (with "abort: unknown
revision '20c138133cee'!", probably because of hgweb cache not
being cleared)

So anybody pushing to aurora should continue to push to the old
locations (unlike what I just did) until these problems are fixed.

John, could you send a note around again when it's safe to push to
the new locations?

-David

--
L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/
Mozilla Corporation http://www.mozilla.com/

John O'Duinn

May 3, 2011, 8:32:32 PM5/3/11
to L. David Baron, dev. planning, dev-tree-management

> -David

dbaron: You should now be able to push a changeset to either location
right now and have hooks detect and clear cache correctly. There was a
bug in how hg hook cleared cache, which is now fixed. See details in
bug#652229.

Please let me know if you still see any problems.

(And sorry!)
John.

John O'Duinn

May 27, 2011, 4:39:54 AM5/27/11
to dev. planning, dev-tree-management
hi;

NOTE: This change *only* impacts people land patches directly into
mozilla-aurora, or mozilla-beta. Everyone else can hit delete now.

tl;dr: The mozilla-aurora, mozilla-beta repos finished moving.

Details:
========
Last night we completed the project to migrate these repos:

Notes:
* During the transition phase, we put symlinks in place, as described
below. This was so people using the repo in either location would see
things working just fine during the transition phase. Last night we
removed the symlinks, and cleaned up http://hg.m.o to remove the
duplicate entries.

* We added HTTP redirects to hg.m.o, in order to maintain existing urls
in any bugs that refer to the old location. Manual tests show this is
working fine. We were not able to find any bugs that actually had links
to these repos in the previous locations, but if you find any, and see
problems with the links, please let me know.

* People starting new patches for mozilla-aurora, mozilla-beta should

reclone or update their .hg/hgrc file.

The last few weeks have been mostly wait-and-see, waiting for this quiet
time between the m-c --> aurora merge on Tuesday, and the end of the
quiet period for new aurora builds tomorrow morning. However, if you see
*any* problems, please reopen and comment in bug#652229.

Many thanks to NoahM in IT for all his help.

thanks
John.
=====

On 5/3/11 2:28 PM, John O'Duinn wrote:
> (reposting after platform meeting, as promised.)
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2011-05-03#Tree_Management
>

> NOTE: If you are using mozilla-central, or any of the project branches,

> hit delete now. This change *only* impacts the few people landing

> patches directly into mozilla-aurora, or mozilla-beta.
>

> On hg.mozilla.org, we are moving two repos:
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-aurora -->
> http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-aurora
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-beta -->
> http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-beta
>
> For the last few weeks, we've had symlinks in place, so people didnt
> notice the repo move. These symlinks will remain for the next few weeks to:
>
> * allow the few developers who have a patch-in-progress for aurora/beta
> to still be able to land the patch. However, people starting new patches
> for mozilla-aurora, mozilla-beta should reclone or update their .hg/hgrc
> file.
> * allow releng automation to be changed with no/little disruption to
> production trees
> * workaround a problem with web UI for hg.m.o.
>

> To avoid complications, this transition will be completed a) after
> FF5.0b1 build work is done (today) and b) before mozilla-beta goes live
> on the the first scheduled drop from mozilla-aurora --> mozilla-beta on
> 17may. Once the last of the Release automation changes are live in

> production, we will then remove the symlinks.

> Further details, and comments/feedback, in bug#652229.

Dao

May 27, 2011, 6:46:23 AM5/27/11