New version of reorg proposal posted

1 view

Gervase Markham

Jun 15, 2007, 12:51:46 PM6/15/07
Sorry for my verbosity in this newsgroup.

Version 0.2 is up at: http://www.gerv.net/temp/bmo-reorg.html

It contains most of the uncontroversial, clearly-defined changes
proposed in this group. Please check to see if your favourite is there,
and if so, if I got it right.

Gerv

Justin Wood (Callek)

Jun 15, 2007, 10:25:40 PM6/15/07

Gerv,

Somehow we got embedded a nesting level under "unclassified" a bit
longer than needed.

(Grendel and "Platform Obsolete" ended up under that heading)

~Justin Wood (Callek)

Steffen Wilberg

Jun 16, 2007, 6:07:30 AM6/16/07

On the right side:
> Startup and Profile System [moved from Firefox; merge in Core:XRE
Startup; bug 272026]
should be "merge in Toolkit:XRE Startup" instead.
Consequently, Toolkit:XRE Startup is to be removed.

Steffen

Serge Gautherie

Jun 16, 2007, 8:14:40 AM6/16/07
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

> Somehow we got embedded a nesting level under "unclassified" a bit
> longer than needed.

And "CCK" seems to be splitted under "Unclassified" and "Client Software
> Other Applications"...

Gervase Markham

Jun 18, 2007, 6:09:38 AM6/18/07
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> Somehow we got embedded a nesting level under "unclassified" a bit
> longer than needed.

I can't parse that sentence :-(

> (Grendel and "Platform Obsolete" ended up under that heading)

Both of these are supposed to be under "Unclassified".

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Jun 18, 2007, 6:10:28 AM6/18/07
Serge Gautherie wrote:
> And "CCK" seems to be splitted under "Unclassified" and "Client Software
> > Other Applications"...

Because that's how things are now. There's a CCK product, closed to new
bugs, and a CCK component as well (currently in use).

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Jun 21, 2007, 5:11:34 AM6/21/07
Gervase Markham wrote:
> Sorry for my verbosity in this newsgroup.
>
> Version 0.2 is up at: http://www.gerv.net/temp/bmo-reorg.html

And now version 0.4, with all issues raised in this group resolved.
Again, please shout if the change you wanted isn't in there, or you
don't like something.

Gerv

Stefan Hermes

Jun 21, 2007, 6:34:08 PM6/21/07
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Gervase Markham skriver:
Nit: "sl-SI / Slovene" and "sk-SK / Slovak" should change order ;-)

/Stefan

Stefan Hermes

Jun 21, 2007, 6:44:13 PM6/21/07
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Gervase Markham skriver:

SeaMonkey has "Search" *and* "Sidebar & Search". I bet one of them
should go ("Search"?).

/Stefan

David E. Ross

Jun 21, 2007, 10:42:54 PM6/21/07

I still think that, under Thunderbird, "View" should be split out of
"Mail Window Front End".

When I do a Bugzilla on Thunderbird for any of the terms "view",
"thread", or "sort" in the Summary, I get 411 open bug reports. That's
over 20% of all the Mail Window Front End bug reports.

Yes, I realize that those three terms might appear in a bug report that
has nothing to do with viewing a message. However, there might also be
bug reports about viewing messages that have none of those three terms.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997

Gervase Markham

Jun 22, 2007, 6:16:18 AM6/22/07
Stefan Hermes wrote:
> Nit: "sl-SI / Slovene" and "sk-SK / Slovak" should change order ;-)

Lots of them aren't in the right order; Bugzilla sorts them
alphabetically anyway.

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Jun 22, 2007, 6:16:58 AM6/22/07
to Robert Kaiser
Stefan Hermes wrote:
> SeaMonkey has "Search" *and* "Sidebar & Search". I bet one of them
> should go ("Search"?).

KaiRo?

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Jun 22, 2007, 6:17:50 AM6/22/07
David E. Ross wrote:
> I still think that, under Thunderbird, "View" should be split out of
> "Mail Window Front End".

How would people know which of the two components to file their bug in?

Gerv

Dan Mosedale

Jun 22, 2007, 1:54:45 PM6/22/07

The calendar protocol components are capitalized like so: CalDAV and WebDAV.

Dan

David E. Ross

Jun 22, 2007, 5:36:19 PM6/22/07

When you create a bug report and select a component, there is a
description of theat component to the right. The description for "Mail
Window Front End" could indicate that bugs for viewing, threads, etc
should be reported for the View component.

Robert Kaiser

Jun 22, 2007, 6:56:49 PM6/22/07
Gervase Markham schrieb:

Actually, just leave "Sidebar" as "Sidebar" then and "Search" as
"Search". This had been proposed originally anyways by some people
involved in the code.

Robert Kaiser

Gervase Markham

Jun 23, 2007, 8:17:41 AM6/23/07
David E. Ross wrote:
> When you create a bug report and select a component, there is a
> description of theat component to the right. The description for "Mail
> Window Front End" could indicate that bugs for viewing, threads, etc
> should be reported for the View component.

This basically boils down to "just read the documentation", which we
know nobody does.

"This component is too big" is not a particularly good reason on its own
to split it. "Different developers work on part A and part B", and/or
"Bug filers can easily distinguish between part A and part B" would be
good reasons for a split.

Notably, I believe that this is the only split (as opposed to rename or
combination) which has been suggested so far.

Gerv