Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 7/1

davidwboswell

Jul 1, 2010, 4:49:50 PM7/1/10
Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 7/1

present: sheppy, david, milos, reed, kairo, fantasai

- P1 Bugs

We've haven't made progress on the staging site that will allow us to
work with the l10n community, so David is looking into contracting
with a web development agency to help us get this in place. More news
about this soon.

For the template overflow bug, we may be updating the design of the
header as part of the home page refresh so we could look into changing
the design if that would make working around this problem in the code
any easier. fantasai thought it wasn't really a design problem
though, so we'll make sure the coders are aware of this issue when
they implement the new design and fantasai can provide any guidance as
needed.

- Content

David has been working with John Slater on an interactive community
map that is unfortunately not publicly available right now. It will
be available to play around with at the Summit and will be made public
soon. The current thinking is to make this the new content on the Our
Community page. fantasai pointed out that we'd need to make sure
whatever we do is accessible and has a fallback option for people
unable to access the interactive version. The existing Directory list
can be used as a backup since it will have the same content as the
map, just not in the same structured format.

The home page design process is starting up again. The goal is the
same as the earlier design effort that was started a few months ago
but didn't get completed. When there is news or mockups we'll post
more about it.

- Coding

We had a discussion about how to deal with an increase in the number
of patches for review for the site. In short, Reed would like to be
in a place where he can set guidelines that other people who are
familiar with the site's code can use to review patches. Reed will
talk with Paul at the Summit more about this.

- Localization

As mentioned above, the current blocker for l10n is the need to get a
staging server in place. Once that is done we will be looking for
someone to help us coordinate with the l10n community to help them
understand what our l10n priorities are and how to work with the
site. Milos expressed interest in this role.

- Archiving/Migrating

Sheppy gave us an update on what is going on with MDN. There is going
to be some internal changes and a move to a new documentation platform
that is going to take several months. Once that is done that should
make it easier to move documentation from www.mozilla.org to the new
platform and the number of people involved in documentation who can
help will also hopefully be increased.