Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 11/5

davidwboswell

Nov 5, 2009, 3:17:07 PM11/5/09
Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 11/5

Present: davidwboswell, tiffney, sheppy, sam, cilias, kairo, chelsea

- Role of community group

We're considering moving mozilla.org to a retainer model similar to
how mozilla.com is run (this means having a contractor available
regularly instead of bringing contractors in on a project basis).
Doing this might cause some changes to how this group is run -- for
instance, we wouldn't have to worry about executing simple fixes for
bugs (see first p1 bug below). Further discussion about this can
happen at future meetings.

- p1 bugs

Bug 523403 -- The Get Involved form is currently run off of a script
on Gerv's server and this is just a temporary solution. This is
marked as a p1 since the Get Involved page is set to get a large
increase in traffic from a star page snippet and we don't want the
existing setup to fail. Reed wasn't on the call, so we didn't make a
decision about what to do with this.

Bug 525522 -- The current staging site isn't suitable for use by the
web l10n community since it automatically moves changes to the live
site after a certain amount of time. If we change how the staging
server works, we need to make sure it continues to be usable for all
current users (for example, we can't move to a push model since there
are a range of community members editing the site without central
coordination).

- Design

We discussed relaunch polishing and a style guide as design priorities
and mentioned these are projects that people can drive if they want to
get involved.

- Content

The new Get Involved page has gone live since the last meeting. For
planning future content projects, we've set up the content priorities
wiki page. Feel free to make changes there as needed.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Content_priorities

Archiving and migrating are on hold for now, but still something we
want to work on. It was also noted that now that SeaMonkey 2 has been
released, some content supporting earlier versions of SeaMonkey might
be able to be archived. Kairo will look into this when he gets a
chance.

- Localization

As noted above, the staging server situation is currently a blocker
for localization to move forward. Pascal had mentioned to David
recently that the web l10n community is booked until at least January,
so we have some time to come up with a fix for the staging server.

Another thing we'll need to sort out is our localization system, but
we didn't discuss that at this meeting since Reed and fantasai weren't
present.

- Back-end

We discussed that it is still a goal to have an easy way to edit pages
on the site and compared our options with Bespin, Kubla and Doctor.
There's not a great option to choose from, but our thinking was Bespin
is still our first choice, followed by hooking up Doctor to work with
Subversion and then getting Kubla working and taking out the push part
of things. David will follow up with Kevin about Bespin status.

- Testing and Stats

We mentioned that both testing and stats are areas that are currently
unowned and these are good projects for people to get involved with if
they're interested.

- Community News

Tiffney asked about how the site could be used to promote the grants
information she is putting on the site and if www.mozilla.org is the
right place for talking about this. We agreed that it was since the
goal was to have the site cover community-wide news and this wasn't
product related information that would fit better on mozilla.com. We
decided to bring this up for further discussion at future meetings.