Notes from mozilla.org planning meeting on 3/4

davidwboswell

Mar 4, 2010, 7:29:22 PM3/4/10
Notes from mozilla.org planning meeting on 3/4

present: davidwboswell, fantasai, jslater, tara, abuchanan, chelsea,
sheppy, kairo

- Ownership

We discussed two changes to the ownership structure for the site. The
first was finding a replacement to take over the Firefox Nightly pages
and after discussion with Beltzner we recommend someone in QA should
own these. Juan has offered to be the new owner.

The other point was adding a new site-wide role category to what has
been so far been a directory based ownership structure. This new
setup will allow us to officially have people who are looking at
issues that cover the site as a whole, such as design consistency.
This has been happening but it has been informal so far. There was
general agreement that the new set of site-wide roles made sense.

We also discussed that the site-wide roles and directory-base roles
should be able to work well together and they can both be used as
resources for people (for instance, someone who owns a page now has
someone to go to for design advice). If any disagreements do occur,
they will either be resolved by the technical owner (Reed) or the
content owner (David).

The ownership page is at:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Owners_List

- Content

Tara gave an overview of the upcoming home page redesign. She has
blogged about this and posted a creative brief with more information
that is linked to from:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/HomepageRedesign

There was discussion about the best way to proceed with gathering
community input into the process and we mentioned that the process of
frequent blogging worked well for the last redesign and should work
well for this. If people wanted to have a dedicated meeting to
discuss this, they are welcome to contact Tara who can set something
up.

Once the home page redesign is done, the next set of content projects
will be going through the top-level pages of the site and syncing the
design and copy to fit with the new home page.

- p1 bugs

Alex gave an update on where things stand with the staging server
planning and his current thinking is to have a system that allows
localizers to stage pages that use gettext but not to have a true
staging server since that would introduce changes to our workflow that
we want to avoid. He mentioned he would have an example for this
running soon.

Alex also said he'd look at the template overflow problem soon too.
fantasai mentioned this is potentially a bigger project that could
involve rewriting the CSS. If that looked like a possibility it might
make sense to hold off and see what template changes were coming as
part of the home page design since that might involve rewriting things
as well.

- Timing

Since a few people needed to leave at 10 we mentioned that the meeting
time could be moved if there was another time that worked better for
people. If anyone is interested in moving things, let us know.