Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 12/3

davidwboswell

Dec 3, 2009, 3:45:03 PM12/3/09
present: kairo, ss, chelsea, reed, elika, davidwboswell

- p1 bugs

The Get Involved form is partially fixed. The bug isn't ready to be
closed but we can drop priority since the partial fix is solving the
urgent problem with mail overload.

Reed gave an update on the staging server changes. He's in the middle
of changes that we're hoping to have ready to go live by January.
Specifics of changes are in previous meeting notes or bug 525522.

- Design

We skipped over this section this time.

- Content

The current project is about creating a Parks page. Chelsea gave an
overview and details are on the wiki at:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Parks

The result of the discussion is that as it is planned now this is too
narrow to fit on the general community site. We should figure out a
better container for this that can include non-Firefox specific
campaigns (raising money for birds linked to Thunderbird releases) and
have Parks content be a part of that. Chelsea to think through this
and make suggestion. For now a single page that lives at
www.mozilla.org/about/parks is fine.

- L10n

The web l10n community is busy right now but we want to make sure we
can work with them when their schedule clears. The main blocking
issues right now are the staging site (mentioned in p1 section) and
the l10n infrastructure on our server. fantasai and Reed to look into
technical issues she is having with mod_rewrite. David will ping Seth
and Pascal about availability when the blockers are removed.

- Back-end

Reed is going to take a look into Bespin stuff. Nothing else to say
for now.

- Testing / Stats / Getting New People Involved

We skipped over these sections this time.

- Role of Community Group

This was an open ended discussion of changes to the community group.
The group has been in charge of doing everything with the site and is
becoming more of a group that oversees much of the site work being
done by others. The end result is that we decided to split up the
governance into a technical site owner (Reed) and planning owners (Sam
and David).

We also discussed how we'd move forward next year when we have more
resources to work on site projects. We looked at the content
priorities list and brainstormed about what the top priority should
be. Suggestions included redesigning old Suite Start page, fixing
site design to work on mobile devices, redesigning top-level sections
(about, community, causes) and finding gaps and creating new content.
Next steps is to think about this and make decision at meeting at the
beginning of January.

There was also a discussion about how the site has many stakeholders
and some projects may be done by other groups, for instance the Rhino
developers don't have to get their pages on our priority list since
they can edit them directly. Also, a project like Parks is being done
as part of Chelsea's fundraising budget and isn't a conflict with the
group's priorities.

- New Time

The 10:30 pacific time won't work for Reed next semester so we're
moving it to 9:30 pacific on the first Thursday of each month (just an
hour earlier).