Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 11/6

davidwboswell

Nov 6, 2008, 2:17:42 PM11/6/08
Present: sheppy, davidwboswell, kairo, cilias, ss, reed

- Recent Activity

Since the last meeting there has been more work done on archiving
content, bug triage and updating content.

- New Design

We are getting closer but aren't ready to get the process started
yet. We have bids from four design agencies and recently had a budget
approved, so there should be more news soon.

- Localization

There are now several translations of the Manifesto ready (see bug
433928 for details) so we'd like to go ahead and get these posted.
The redirects that were recently set up still aren't working, so we
decided to post the files and link to them directly for now and we can
sort out the redirect issues later.

- Archiving and Migrating

David estimates that about 1/3 of the archiving has been completed
(based on no data in particular). Work is ongoing, but it will speed
up the process to get the automatic redirect script working. Reed
will look into this when he gets a chance.

There was a discussion about if we want search engines to index the
archive site. Our current thinking is that this is fine since only
historical documents should be showing up in search engine results.
Other content, such as old documentation that now lives on MDC should
have redirects set up to the new pages so people won't end up on the
archive. We decided to keep an eye on this and deal with it if people
are accidentally finding there way to the archive site.

For migrating content, the evangelism team is considering bringing
someone on who can help move the migration process forward. Sheppy
will provide more news when there's an update.

- Staging Server

The staging server setup is in progress (see bug 458309 for details).

- Updating Content

The two main sections that still need some work are the Developer and
Support sections. Chris will take a pass at updating the Support
pages.

David mentioned that the Projects pages are now up to date (not
counting the various project directories) with the removal of the old
Projects list and the addition of the Specifications and Technologies
pages. The next main task for the Projects area is to help Calendar
move to it's own site if that's still the plan. Reed will email Simon
to check in.

- Other

Reed mentioned that we should fix the issue where users of Firefox
betas get 404 pages on the site pointing to non-existing release
notes. We decided to set up a redirect to point to the Contribute
page for now and then we can create a specific page based off of the
Minefield page later as needed.