Post-launch priorities for www.mozilla.org

1 view

davidwboswell

Sep 3, 2009, 11:00:39 PM9/3/09
Now that the new design is live we should discuss what our new
priorities are. We've talked about many project ideas we've been
interested in, but we need to prioritize things to figure out what to
be working on next.

I've updated the following page on the wiki with a list of projects
we've discussed before and it would be useful for us to discuss what
the priorities are from this list (and if there's anything missing we
should talk about that too).

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Content_priorities

Related to this, we should also figure out what we can address
ourselves and what we need outside resources for -- for instance, for
a project to design a community dashboard do we have community members
interested in design projects or do we need to work with a design
agency?

David

Samuel Sidler

Sep 6, 2009, 10:51:52 AM9/6/09
to dev-moz...@lists.mozilla.org
On Sep 3, 2009, at 8:00 PM, davidwboswell wrote:

> I've updated the following page on the wiki with a list of projects
> we've discussed before and it would be useful for us to discuss what
> the priorities are from this list (and if there's anything missing we
> should talk about that too).
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Content_priorities

In general, this list looks good. I'd add a new, better Projects page
that maybe has some interaction. If we could keep a "complete" list of
projects and allow people to search them and discover other Mozilla
projects, it'd be pretty cool.

We could also use a new page like that to feature the "Powered by
Mozilla" projects and provide a searchable index of those.

As far as ordering goes, I propose we prioritize them in the following
order:

* Causes
* Manifesto Landing Page
* Community Dashboard
* About
** Timeline
** Other History-related pages
* Everything else

(I left my Projects proposal out for now, but I'd put it under the
"About" bullets.)

> Related to this, we should also figure out what we can address
> ourselves and what we need outside resources for -- for instance, for
> a project to design a community dashboard do we have community members
> interested in design projects or do we need to work with a design
> agency?

It'd be great to get community involvement wherever possible, but I
know we won't always be able to.

For the above, I think we should do the brainstorming work without a
design agency wherever possible, then, after we have as detailed a
plan as possible, ask for community involvement. If we can't find the
resources, we should reach out to a design agency.

It's not the best answer, because it's not very firm, but hopefully it
gives as much opportunity as possible for community involvement before
turning to a design agency.

-Sam

davidwboswell

Sep 8, 2009, 1:12:54 PM9/8/09
> As far as ordering goes, I propose we prioritize them in the following order:
>
>    * Causes
>    * Manifesto Landing Page
>    * Community Dashboard
>    * About
>    ** Timeline
>    ** Other History-related pages
>    * Everything else

Sounds good. I've updated the Content priorities page with this list
(and made some minor changes to include the style guide and home page
blurbs as top priorities).

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Content_priorities#Proposed_Priorities

Feel free to suggest additional changes here or edit the wiki page.

> It's not the best answer, because it's not very firm, but hopefully it
> gives as much opportunity as possible for community involvement before
> turning to a design agency.

I think that's a good approach and I'd like to make sure we are
flexible enough to allow people to contribute whenever and however
they want, but for planning purposes maybe we make a pass at guessing
what projects are more likely to attract contributors?

David