Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 10/1

davidwboswell

Oct 1, 2009, 2:18:03 PM10/1/09
Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 10/1

Present: david, fantasai, kairo, chris

- P1 Bugs

None for this meeting.

- New Design

There are still a few items to wrap up (triage list of template
tweaks, integrating Bespin...) although for future meetings it makes
sense to include these among other open issues instead of still having
a new design section.

The main discussion was around what to do with Bespin (a tool that
would let us edit the site online) now that the two people we had been
coordinating with about integration are no longer working at MoCo.
Bespin itself is not going away, so we decided to stick to our plans
and identify new project members to discuss this with.

- Content

The Get Involved page redesign is the current focus right now for
updating content. The latest mockups for the page are at:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Contribute

We discussed how this page at mozilla.org/contribute relates to the
contribute.mozilla.org site and if we are going to replace one with
the other. CMO is a parallel effort being run by Gandalf and he's
been involved in this redesign project. The new Get Involved redesign
would initially go on the mozilla.org page but could turn into a new
home page for CMO later if it were integrated into mozilla.org as a
replacement for the current page. David believes though that CMO is
in beta and Gandalf is still working on some things so it's not ready
to link to yet from mozilla.org.

- Localization

David has had a recent discussion with Pascal and Delphine who are
interested in helping us get localizations moving forward now that
we're on Subversion. They've identified a few issues to resolve:

* We need to finalize our back-end l10n system
* We need a strategy for dealing with dynamic content (should dynamic
content be dropped in localized pages or replaced with language-
specific substitute content, such as a French news feed)
* We need to think through how we can provide a better staging option
for localizers who want to see their changes before they go live

Pascal and Delphine couldn't make this meeting due to a conflict with
the Prague MozCamp, but we may want to set up a special meeting later
this month dedicated to localization issues.

- Testing

David mentioned that several new people have expressed interest in
helping with site QA. He's identified a few good projects for people
to get started on (such as triaging the relaunch tweaks and validating
pages) but is open to other ideas people may have. Chris mentioned
that a general document about how to report bugs for the site could be
helpful since he sees people asking about this in newsgroups.

- Promo spots

David recently documented the promo spots on the site due to questions
from the Foundation about promoting OneWebDay. That can be found at:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Promo_spots

- Future Direction

Now that the relaunch is done, we had a discussion about everyone's
new priorities and interests for the site. Localization and content
updates, specifically with improving Getting Involved content, were
top priorities identified. We should continue to work on determining
our direction since we currently lack a clear goal such as a relaunch.