Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 9/2

davidwboswell

Sep 2, 2010, 2:28:39 PM9/2/10
Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 9/2

present: davidwboswell, kairo, casey

- Content

The new home page design is currently being coded, but is not yet
ready for review. When it's at a point where silverorange is ready
for feedback, I'll send information around about the staging site.

With the new home page design in place we're working on creating a sub-
page design that will keep things in sync. We'll roll this out for at
least the key sub-pages, but perhaps not for every single page on the
site. We've just recently started this process with a designer and
I'll post some designs when there's something ready for review. For
sub-pages we'll also be moving some content over from mozilla.com as
it transitions to a Firefox-specific site and can use some help here
if anyone is interested.

- Coding

The current review process for technical bugs is broken and there have
been several patches from several contributors that have just been
sitting around for months. Reed was not on the call so we were unable
to have a discussion about how to deal with this.

- Localization

I talked with Seth recently and there is now a plan in place to import
the HTML of key pages into Verbatim so localizers can use that to
start localizing content. Any localized content will need to be
checked in by someone with check-in access but we can work on
expanding access to localizers.

In addition to using Verbatim, we'll also need to update the site to
include a way for people to toggle between localized versions of a
page and also have language detection enabled to serve pages based on
user's preferences. There has been talk about community members doing
this work, but at this point it's probably best to bring in a
contractor.

- Stats

We are currently using both Urchin and WebTrends for stats on the site
and this isn't ideal since it adds extra js files to include and
increases page weight. David is working with Laura in MoCo to get the
Urchin reports duplicated in WebTrends so we can turn Urchin off for
the site.

- Archiving/Migrating

No update, although this is still an important issue since it is
making the roll-out of an l10n system and a new sub-page design harder.