Notes from Web Site Task Force Meeting on September 23

davidwboswell

Sep 23, 2010, 3:16:21 PM9/23/10
Notes from Web Site Task Force Meeting on September 23

Present: davidwboswell, lforrest, kairo, rafael, mary, aakash, ryan,
jay, mary, williamr, jslater, ned, fuzzyfox, janet

- Domain Name Strategy

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Websites/Taskforce/Proposals/Domain_Name_Strategy

In general people felt that having a domain name scheme is a good idea
and this particular scheme seemed reasonable.

There was discussion about how mobile sites should be addressed in
these plans -- do we standardize on mobile domains such as
m.mozilla.org or mozilla.org/m or do we even need this if different
style sheets can be served depending on type of device? We'll run our
plans by webdev to make sure issues like these are taken into account
before finalizing.

For next steps, we'll get feedback from webdev and the governance list
and then we'll take that feedback and make changes as needed and will
make a decision at the next task force meeting. If there are any
other people or forums that you think should be aware of this, feel
free to post the link to the proposal.

- Common Footer

FuzzyFox has created a demo for how to integrate the Community Map
into a common footer. You can see it by clicking on the dino head in
the footer at

http://store.mozilla.org/diy/

Note that this is just an example of what an integrated map might look
like and this specific footer was just a place to test things and is
not the recommendation for what a common footer should look like.

For next steps, we will continue to gather content for a common footer
from legal and any other group that is interested, people can help
FuzzyFox with the technical parts of integrating with the map and then
we'll bring in a designer at some point to help us pull it all
together.

- Abandoned Sites

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Websites/Taskforce/Proposals/Abandoned_Sites

There was general agreement that out of date content shouldn't be
presented as current information, but instead of taking these sites
down we should label them as historical. Some possible examples of
ways to add an informational header like this to a site include:

http://www-archive.mozilla.org/
http://people.mozilla.com/~chowse/drop/sumo/customer-care/v1/top.html

In addition to labeling, we can provide a wrap-up that gives
information about what the site did and where you can find more
current information about similar topics. For example, this is what
happened with the firefoxcup.com domain after that campaign was over.

For next steps, we'll use mozillaservice.org as a test case by
archiving that and then reporting back to the group about how that
went and then picking other sites to archive next.

- Web Fonts

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Websites/Taskforce/Proposals/Web_Fonts

There was interest in this topic and an agreement that the idea of
creating a more consistent font style is worth working on. In terms
of timing this looked like something to look at more seriously in 2011
due to scheduling issues for the rest of 2010, although we talked
about things that could be done now for anyone interested in driving
things forward.

One of the reasons for the delay is that a Mozilla and Firefox brand
study is being done now and we should see the results of that before
making decisions that could effect logos and sites. Another reason
was that web projects for the end of the year are already under way
that include the Meta font and we don't want to delay those because of
this font discussion.

In the meantime though, we can do research on available open fonts
that might serve some or all of our needs and we can also look into
the technical issues with serving an open font in a way that could be
re-used widely in the community. Neither of these things depends on
what the final font choice will be so we aren't blocked by not knowing
the answer to that now (for instance, we can set up a test font and
change to a different font later for production use.)