Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 8/6

davidwboswell

Aug 6, 2009, 3:25:57 PM8/6/09
Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 8/6

Present: sheppy, david, reed, mike gauthier, kairo, cilias, fantasai,
ss

- Deploying New Design

There was no disagreement with going live without fixing issues with
all 11,000 files on the staging site. The question was where do we
draw the line? As long as all of the content is there, it's OK if
some documentation that isn't viewed often has some CSS issues but
there are key pages we will want to make sure are solid.

We thought that the home page and the pages linked to directly from
the top-level nav would all be considered key pages. We will address
issues with other pages as we can get to them after the relaunch.

As far as what those issues are that need to be addressed, we didn't
go through the specifics in this meeting. We will have a call next
week when Steven Garrity is back from vacation where we go into the
list of tweaks and everyone is invited to that call. In the meantime,
please test the staging site and add any issues you find to this page:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Redesign/Template_tweaks

Our plans with replacing Doctor with Bespin haven't changed -- we do
want to make this available soon but it won't be available on the day
of the relaunch. If people have any issues with not having access to
a web editor, contact David and he can help check-in changes.

For changes being made to the current site, those will be synced over
to the staging site before going live. To make sure all site
committers are aware of this, David will send out a note about syncing
and history for those changes not being carried over to Subversion.

- Testing

Although we feel that the staging site has received a good amount of
testing so far, it is important for us to build up a QA team for
ongoing testing after the new site goes live. If anyone is interested
in helping and owning the site QA, please let us know.

- Archiving, Migrating and Updating Content

Sheppy and David discussed migrating content -- it is worth doing, but
it is a lower priority and it's not clear yet when or who will do this
work. After the relaunch though, migrating will become more of a
priority as we focus on content issues. We briefly talked about
archiving and updating content as well, but moved on to make sure we
had time for other issues.

- Localization

We need to sort out how we want to set up our localization system --
the options include using the system in place on www.mozilla.com and
going with another system that has better URL handling, language
negotiation and language fallback.

The potential downside of not going with the www.mozilla.com model is
making it difficult for the existing web l10n community to work with
www.mozilla.org. Sam is going to contact Pascal about this.

We also discussed ways to merge the best parts of both options -- can
we use Apache's language negotiation instead of a PHP system but
retain the separate repositories for each locale? Fantasai's initial
research indicates that this wouldn't be easy.

Sorting this out isn't a blocker for going live with the new site, but
we do want to sort this out soon since we'd like to focus on content
issues once the new design is in place.

- P1 Bugs

We haven't been prioritizing open site bugs since we have been using
these meetings as a way to identify the most pressing issues.
Tracking priority for top bugs (p1 and p2) can be useful though, but
there's no real need to assign priority to all open bugs. David had
recently set a few bugs as p1 and p2 and we'll go through top bugs in
these meetings going forward.

For this meeting, we discussed the issues with the automatic redirect
script breaking. Reed will look into this on the live site since it
seems to be interfering with some build processes. Mike from Silver
Orange will also look into converting the existing Perl script into a
PHP script for use on the new server.

The other P1 bug is about redirecting Firefox users to relevant pages
(in some cases people are getting sent to non-existent pages on
www.mozilla.org). There is a patch for this available and Reed and
Fantasai will take a look at it.