Original Document Information footer

George3

Sep 12, 2007, 12:04:58 PM9/12/07
The example footer for migrated docs:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/MDC:Examples:Original_Document_Information

is missing the "Original Location:" and "Note:" fields that exist in
some docs (e.g., http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SOAP_in_Gecko-based_Browsers#Original_Document_Information
).

1) Should those fields be added to the example footer?
2) Wouldn't implementing this footer as a template instead of copy-n-
paste block be more maintainable? (You also get the "What links here"
functionality if you use a template, should there be a need to list
all the pages it's used on)

-george3

George3

Sep 15, 2007, 9:42:21 PM9/15/07
To update my original post:

> 1) Should those fields be added to the example footer?

Received no feedback on this.
Wouldn't at least the "original" URL field be useful, especially if
something like images or helpful formatting is lost or a doc is split
up in the migration? As for as what fields should be included, I set
up a "test" template (see below) where all the fields are optional.

> 2) Wouldn't implementing this footer as a template instead of copy-n-
> paste block be more maintainable? (You also get the "What links here"
> functionality if you use a template, should there be a need to list
> all the pages it's used on)

Two templates:
{{OrigDocInfoMini}} http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Template:OrigDocInfoMini
and {{OrigDocInfo}} http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Template:OrigDocInfo
had already been created back in April 2005, but they were only used
on a handful of pages. I modified {{OrigDocInfo}} as an experiment,
making its fields/values named and all optional (this makes
{{OrigDocInfoMini}} unnecessary since it was just a two field version
of {{OrigDocInfo}}).

Note: Section-level editing of the section contained in the template
("= Original Document Information =") is odd because it takes you into
editing a portion of the template itself. If HTML ("<h2>"), instead
of wiki-headings/sections are used, clicking on the "[edit]" of the
section, takes you instead into a blank edit field. The workaround is
to edit the section above or the entire page.