The JavaScript reference and breadcrumbs

1 view

Nickolay Ponomarev

Dec 22, 2006, 5:35:04 AM12/22/06
to dev-mdc
Hi,

The pages in the JS reference currently all have "Core JavaScript 1.5
Reference" in their names, which is confusing, as was recently noted
here: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Talk:Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference#for_each...in

There was a plan for a while to rename pages to have shorter names,
see http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/reorg
The reason I didn't go ahead with this is that performing those moves
results in losing most hierarchy information from breadcrumbs. It was
promised that the breadcrumbs MediaWiki extension will be updated to
get the hierarchy info from the text inside
<breadcrumbs></breadcrumbs> tag in addition to the page's name (see
bugzilla for the specific proposal), but it was postponed several
times and I'm not sure if anyone is working on that.

So how do we go forward? Does anyone plan to work on the breadcrumbs
extension or should I forget about it? Should the reference page's be
left as is or do we care about the confusion caused by the specific
version number ("1.5") in the pages' names? Do we care about losing
the useful breadcrumbs in the reference and in the guide in case of
moving the pages without waiting for the updated breadcrumbs extension
(I think I do).

Nickolay

Justin Wood (Callek)

Dec 23, 2006, 3:48:41 AM12/23/06
to Nickolay Ponomarev, dev-mdc
Hmm, if no-one is currently working on breadcrumbs I *should* be able
to start back up again come February, but I can't make any promises
yet.

IMHO though, renaming the pages and using a pseudo-manual breadcrumbs
might be the best "current" solution in the meantime, as getting the
JS ref/guide in good shape should take priority over a 'hopefully
soon' backend change/fix, where possible; and it is "possible".

Anyway, good luck in the endeavor to re-organize it.

~Justin Wood (Callek)

Eric Shepherd

Dec 23, 2006, 7:57:38 PM12/23/06
to Justin Wood (Callek), dev-mdc, Nickolay Ponomarev
Sancus was in theory going to do work on breadcrumbs but I think he's
been switched over to other stuff; I don't know if or when he's
slated to work on this in the future.

Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
she...@mozilla.com