Topic/Category changes summary

Deb Richardson

Mar 7, 2006, 1:59:16 PM3/7/06
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Someone requested that I summarize the proposed final Topic Page and
Category changes into a single mail to avoid making people dig
through the whole thread.

Category changes:
* Replace all "type" categories on pages with top level topic
categories. For example, a page in "Category:XUL:Articles" will be
moved to "Category:XUL".
* Remove all type categories and redirect to their top level topic
categories. For example "Category:XUL:Articles" will redirect to
"Category:XUL". This is simply to avoid breaking links to the
original categories.

Topic page changes:
* "Selected Articles" and "Featured Content" will be merged into a
single "Documentation" section, which will be a hand-selected list of
the most useful/popular documentation in that topic area.
* Webwatch RSS Feeds will be removed.
* Major community links will be moved to the Topic page, although the
community subpage will continue to exist as a more comprehensive list
if there's not enough space on the Topic page for all the links.
* Primary developer tools will be listed and linked from the main
Topic page.
* "Other Pages" section (formerly linking to "type" subcategories)
would be removed.

Basically this:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Extensions
will turn into this:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Sandbox:Extensions

~ deb

(If I've missed something major, please let me know)

Deb Richardson

Mar 8, 2006, 7:33:04 AM3/8/06
to Justin Wood, dev...@lists.mozilla.org
> How are we handling "multi-page" content, (ie: book level... ala JS
> Reference/Guide, NSPR API Reference, JSAPI etc....) in terms of
> categories. ?

Those will have an appropriate subcategory. For example, the
JavaScript Reference pages would all go in the "Category:JavaScript
Reference". The JavaScript Reference category would then be set as a
subcategory of JavaScript.

~ deb