L10n status for Sunbird 0.3 release

Simon Paquet

Sep 17, 2006, 4:44:29 PM9/17/06
[X-Post to m.d.l10n and m.d.apps.calendar, F'up m.d.l10n]

Hi everyone,

while the Sunbird developers are still hard at work to get Sunbird in
shape for the 0.3 release, I took a look at the current state of
localization regarding all Sunbird-specific files on the trunk. Therefore
I ran the compare-locales script for all 20 languages that currently have
strings checked in for the calendar subdirectory.

I DID NOT CHECK the state of trunk localization for Core-files, that will
also be needed to localize Sunbird (e.g. security, dom, netwerk,
toolkit). You can find the results for these for your locale on your
l10n-tinderbox page.

Please also note, that only Sunbird will be released from trunk.
Lightning will be released from the 1.8 branch. Therefore all results,
mentioning some missing Lightning strings should not bother you at the
moment.

Now here are the results in short:
==================================
- ca, cs, eu, it, mn, ru, sl do not have any issues at the moment.

- de, fr, ga-IE, nl, pl, sk also look fine, but please remove the
obsolete files or entities from your localization

- The same goes for de, which also misses one string in one file

- es-ES and hu have some work before them, but have already made some
strides towards completion. You should continue as fast as you can.

- ja, pt-BR, sv-SE, tr, zh-CN all have quite a lot to do to catch up. If
you want your localized release to coincide with Sunbird 0.3 in en-US,
you have to start right now and move fast.

And here are the detailed results:
==================================
http://www.babylonsounds.com/calendar_l10n/index.html

I hope you find this useful.

Thanks for your contribution
Simon
--
Sunbird/Lightning/Calendar Website Maintainer:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar

Stefan Sitter

Sep 17, 2006, 4:59:05 PM9/17/06
> http://www.babylonsounds.com/calendar_l10n/index.html

The links on your page all point to '..._ca.txt' file.

/Stefan

Toni Hermoso Pulido

Sep 17, 2006, 5:18:48 PM9/17/06
to Stefan Sitter, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org

Marek Stępień

Sep 17, 2006, 5:56:09 PM9/17/06
Simon Paquet napisał(a):

> while the Sunbird developers are still hard at work to get Sunbird in
> shape for the 0.3 release, I took a look at the current state of
> localization regarding all Sunbird-specific files on the trunk. Therefore
> I ran the compare-locales script for all 20 languages that currently have
> strings checked in for the calendar subdirectory.

Fixed for pl on behalf of Stanislaw Malolepszy.

When do you plan to release Sb 0.3? We were hoping to do a complete
review of Calendar translation this week.

--
Marek Stępień <mar...@aviary.pl>
AviaryPL - polski zespół lokalizacyjny Mozilli

Simon Paquet

Sep 17, 2006, 6:32:01 PM9/17/06
And on the seventh day Toni Hermoso Pulido spoke:

>>> http://www.babylonsounds.com/calendar_l10n/index.html
>>
>> The links on your page all point to '..._ca.txt' file.
>
>And ca is Catalan, not Canadian ;)

Both issues are fixed now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Simon Paquet

Sep 17, 2006, 6:37:46 PM9/17/06
And on the seventh day Marek St?pie? spoke:

>> while the Sunbird developers are still hard at work to get Sunbird in
>> shape for the 0.3 release, I took a look at the current state of
>> localization regarding all Sunbird-specific files on the trunk. Therefore
>> I ran the compare-locales script for all 20 languages that currently have
>> strings checked in for the calendar subdirectory.
>
>Fixed for pl on behalf of Stanislaw Malolepszy.
>
>When do you plan to release Sb 0.3? We were hoping to do a complete
>review of Calendar translation this week.

We are still aiming for the end of September, but the release date may
slip into October. But that's just an educated guess, since I'm not a
real developer and only the developers can give you a good estimate.

But since our strings are frozen since last week, this shouldn't affect
you and a complete review until the end of the the coming week is
definitely a good thing.

Thorsten Fritz

Sep 18, 2006, 6:37:35 AM9/18/06
Simon Paquet wrote:
> - The same goes for de, which also misses one string in one file
Fixed.

Thorsten

--
http://www.nvu-composer.de
http://www.sunbird-kalender.de

Iacopo Benesperi

Sep 18, 2006, 1:43:28 PM9/18/06
Do you think there will be localized test build before 0.3? Just to
check everything is ok.

Iacopo

Simon Paquet

Sep 18, 2006, 2:59:48 PM9/18/06
Iacopo Benesperi wrote on 18. Sep 2006:

> Do you think there will be localized test build before 0.3? Just to
> check everything is ok.

You can use the langpacks that Stefan Sitter provides at
http://ssitter.googlepages.com/langpack to check your localization.

--
Simon Paquet
Sunbird/Lightning/Calendar website maintainer
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar

wladow

Sep 19, 2006, 6:36:41 AM9/19/06
Slovak locale fixed. We hope this locale will be ready for shipping this
week.

wladow

João Pinheiro

Sep 24, 2006, 1:18:22 PM9/24/06
Hey there,

I noticed that the pt-PT localization doesn't show up in the status
report, most probably because I haven't committed any of my currently
translated files yet. Either way, I doubt I'll be able to make it for
the 0.3 release date. My current plan is to have the localization for
0.3 ready some time after the release and keep on working for an
on-schedule 0.4 release, whenever that may be.

Sincerely,
João Pinheiro

signature.asc

Simon Paquet

Sep 24, 2006, 1:57:37 PM9/24/06
And on the seventh day João Pinheiro spoke:

>Hey there,
>
>I noticed that the pt-PT localization doesn't show up in the status
>report, most probably because I haven't committed any of my currently
>translated files yet. Either way, I doubt I'll be able to make it for
>the 0.3 release date. My current plan is to have the localization for
>0.3 ready some time after the release and keep on working for an
>on-schedule 0.4 release, whenever that may be.

Actually I was not aware that there is a calendar translation for pt-PT.
It would be good if localizers could let us know, if they decide to
translate mozilla/calendar so that we can act on that information (e.g.
adding those languages to the all-locales file).

Jesper Kristensen

Sep 24, 2006, 2:35:19 PM9/24/06
Simon Paquet skrev:

> And on the seventh day João Pinheiro spoke:
>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I noticed that the pt-PT localization doesn't show up in the status
>> report, most probably because I haven't committed any of my currently
>> translated files yet. Either way, I doubt I'll be able to make it for
>> the 0.3 release date. My current plan is to have the localization for
>> 0.3 ready some time after the release and keep on working for an
>> on-schedule 0.4 release, whenever that may be.
>
> Actually I was not aware that there is a calendar translation for pt-PT.
> It would be good if localizers could let us know, if they decide to
> translate mozilla/calendar so that we can act on that information (e.g.
> adding those languages to the all-locales file).
>
> Simon

There is also a person working on a danish localization of calendar, i think.

Kim Ludvigsen

Sep 24, 2006, 4:16:24 PM9/24/06
Den 24-09-06 20.35 skrev Jesper Kristensen følgende:

> There is also a person working on a danish localization of calendar, i
> think.

Indeed! I have made a quick and dirty translation, but I need to see the
strings in the program in order to finish the translation.

I don't know how do get a version of Sunbird with my translation or a
danish xpi in order to get any further. Any help would be appriciated.

Kind regards
Kim Ludvigsen

Simon Paquet

Sep 24, 2006, 4:45:24 PM9/24/06
And on the seventh day Kim Ludvigsen spoke:

As you can see from
http://ssitter.googlepages.com/compare-locales-full.txt there is still a
lot to do regarding the translation of core files (security, netwerk,
dom, toolkit) before a full Sunbird or Lightning translation becomes a
reality.

Stefan Sitter provides language packs for Sunbird for a lot of languages
on a daily basis (see http://ssitter.googlepages.com/langpack), but for
the language pack to finish building, the localization has to be
complete, which is not the case for da at the moment.

So you or a team member should fix the outstanding issues and then you
can finish work on the Danish calendar localization.

Stefan Sitter

Sep 24, 2006, 4:47:47 PM9/24/06
Hello Kim,

I'm offering language packs for Sunbird at
[http://ssitter.googlepages.com/langpack] on a almost daily basis as
long as there are no calendar l10n tinderboxes. At the moment Danish
language packs doesn't build because of some missing toolkit files.
For a more complete list of issues see
[http://ssitter.googlepages.com/compare-locales-full.txt].

/Stefan

João Pinheiro

João Pinheiro

Sep 24, 2006, 5:01:18 PM9/24/06
to Simon Paquet
First of all, pardon the double-reply.

Regarding the translation for mozilla/calendar, I thought such a notice
had already been given with the registration bug for the pt-PT
localization. That not being the case, you can take this as a notice
that there is someone working on the pt-PT version. Mea culpa.

Sincerely,
João Pinheiro

signature.asc

Kim Ludvigsen

Sep 25, 2006, 3:41:13 AM9/25/06
Den 24-09-06 22.47 skrev Stefan Sitter følgende:

> At the moment Danish
> language packs doesn't build because of some missing toolkit files.

Thanks to both you and Simon. I will send a mail to the toolkit translator.

Kind regards
Kim Ludvigsen

Simon Paquet

Sep 26, 2006, 9:00:30 AM9/26/06
João Pinheiro wrote on 24. Sep 2006:

> Regarding the translation for mozilla/calendar, I thought such a notice
> had already been given with the registration bug for the pt-PT
> localization. That not being the case, you can take this as a notice
> that there is someone working on the pt-PT version. Mea culpa.

Hi Joao,
I just filed a bug (bug 354312) about making the building of language
packs possible from our side.

Unfortunately, there is one issue open on your side, before we can fix
this. It would be great if you could fix this. Then we can also include
you in our language comparison stats.