[Announce] Firefox 3.1 becoming Firefox 3.5

Axel Hecht

Mar 5, 2009, 4:06:44 PM3/5/09
Hi all,

here's news from .planning that should be of interest to you.

On 05.03.2009 20:18 Uhr, Mike Shaver wrote:
> As was discussed at the delivery meeting yesterday, we're proposing to
> change the version number of Shiretoko from 3.1 to 3.5. The increase in
> scope represented by TraceMonkey and Private Browsing, plus the sheer
> volume of work that's gone into everything from video and layout to
> places and the plugin service make it a larger increment than we
> believe is reasonable to
> label ".1". 3.5 will help set expectations better about the amount of
> awesome that's packed into Shiretoko, and we expect uptake help from that as
> well.
>
> It's important to note that 3.5 represents a better labelling of our
> *current* scope, and not an indication that we intend to significantly
> increase this release's scope any further.
>
> Beta 3 will be the last milestone release with the 3.1 version number, and
> Firefox 3.5b4 will be the following one. mozilla-central's Minefield
> version will be changed to 3.6pre as a placeholder. For an abundance of
> clarity: this does not indicate that the next version will be called
> "Firefox 3.6" when it's shipped.
>
> The Gecko version number will remain 1.9.1 on the mozilla-1.9.1 branch, and
> will remain 1.9.2 on mozilla-central for the foreseeable future.
>
> Work is underway to make sure that we can get the version identifiers
> updated in relevant places like AMO, bugzilla, crash-stats and tinderbox
> with minimal disruption. Those changes will start to roll out this week.
>
> There has been a lot of great conversation over the last few weeks about how
> to balance product cadence (and its attendant impact on users) with
> web-technology delivery and support for multiple dependent products; I
> expect more concrete proposals to manifest here in the coming weeks, as we
> get Firefox 3.5 (woo!) closer to ship.
>
> Mike

In addition to this, there is no impact on either the new B4 nor the
rename on what we intend to do with string freeze. There's more clarity
on how we're going to take the remaining string changes that I have
talked about in earlier posts.

The time between 3.1 B3 and 3.5 B4 will be something around 4-5 weeks,
and we're going to get the remaining string changes in to the tree in
the first two weeks, which should leave you with some 2-3 weeks to catch
up. The total amount shouldn't exceed some 20 strings, at least that's
what we target.

Once we have B3, we'll ask you to do outreach with blogs and stuff to
get your testers on. There's going to be some exposure of B3 on the
startpage snippets, too. Pascal?

I hope that you'll use the window we have here to polish your
translation work and incorporate loads of community feedback.

I'm currently working on getting unchanged-strings pages up again, so
that you can hunt down those, too.

Cheers

Axel