Mozilla sponsored server for l10n

Chris Hofmann

Dec 8, 2006, 11:36:52 PM12/8/06
to l10n
The server should be up and running soon, but we need to figure out:

* access control policys, t
* he kind of applications that run on the server,
* and restrictions on the kinds of uses the space will be used for.

We could use your feedback and brainstorming ideas on this....
http://blog.mozilla.com/seth/2006/12/06/l10n-server/#comment-269

Post here or on the seth's blog. We most likely will start slow and
build out the
the things that are most critical as we go.

Thanks

Chris Hofmann

Ricardo Palomares Martinez

Dec 9, 2006, 5:58:38 AM12/9/06
Chris Hofmann escribió:

> The server should be up and running soon, but we need to figure out:
>
> * access control policys,
> * the kind of applications that run on the server,

> * and restrictions on the kinds of uses the space will be used for.
>
> We could use your feedback and brainstorming ideas on this....
> http://blog.mozilla.com/seth/2006/12/06/l10n-server/#comment-269
>
> Post here or on the seth's blog. We most likely will start slow and
> build out the the things that are most critical as we go.

What we (es-ES) are missing most right now is:

- Mac OS X builds for SeaMonkey (and, temporally, Sunbird)
- bandwidth for extensions repackaged with only es-ES, as opposed to
multi-language or en-US only XPIs available in AMO
- bandwidth for Nvu es-ES

As you can see, most of them fall outside of the "Mozilla official"
umbrella. Also, we are a bit especial, because the es-ES L10N team is
not involved with the spanish community, which spans beyond Spain and
covers all es-* translations and users, so we don't need something
like forums, for instance.

Ricardo.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Tsahi Asher

Dec 13, 2006, 3:40:29 PM12/13/06
ציטוט Chris Hofmann:
is that for web presence or something else?

tsahi

--
Tsahi Asher
Hebrew L10n Team

Chris Hofmann

Dec 14, 2006, 12:53:13 PM12/14/06
to Tsahi Asher, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
The thought is to start simple and then expand as needed.

Initially the server might be set up for file transfer and storage of
translation files, preliminary test builds, large test cases images, and
similar big development related files that are hard to move around and
distribute, but need to be shared. To provide this we might do
something like anonymous ftp upload to a staging area, and then ssh
account access to an account where you could share the files on public
web server. moco employees have something like this set up and I've
used it to get work started on things like
http://people.mozilla.com/~chofmann/l10n/draft-eulas/

Were in the process of figuring out disk space allocation for each
locale team for something like this. If your interested in this first
application of the l10n server you can mail Axel and I indicating your
interest, and some thoughts about how much space you might need.

Lets start to build a list about which kinds of applications should come
next; whether it be something that supports web presence, localization
team plan building and status reporting, something to coordinate the
specifics of localization and testing work for each individual locale,
or other applications. There will be some extra administrative work to
do some things like set up forums ( due to the need of meeting legal
requirements) so applications like that will take longer to get going.

ideas?

chris h.

Jesper Kristensen

Dec 14, 2006, 3:44:51 PM12/14/06
I am not sure what this server is for, but I can tell you about the situation
in the Danish l10n team, then you hopefully can tell me if it has something
to do with this at all.

Right now we have:

- A website, www.mozilladanmark.dk, where we have some pages telling a little
about us, Mozilla and the apps we are translating. We have one problem with
our hosting: we only have a password for our ftp. Only the people who
sponsored the hosting has the password for e.g. changing our domain name
configuration. But i think we have already found a new sponsor, and we just
have to find the best hosting solution for the money we have. We have a
couple of downloads on our site, that could be hosted elsewhere, like on your
server. But we would like to have it all hosted together. (The downloads are
Nvu and the danish dictionary for Thunderbird 1.5.)

- A forum, forum.mozilladanmark.dk. The hosting is a bit unstable, and we
plan to move it to the same server as our main website, when we finish moving
that.

In all, I don't think a Mozilla sponsored server could be of much interest
for our group, unless it is a (nearly) complete hosting of everything we
have. (This is only my opinion. Others in the team may have other opinions.)

One thing that we could really use, would be Mozilla to be the legal owner of
our domain names. But that is another subject.

--
Jesper Kristensen

Ricardo Palomares Martinez

Dec 17, 2006, 2:02:51 PM12/17/06
Chris Hofmann escribió:

> The thought is to start simple and then expand as needed.
> Initially the server might be set up for file transfer and storage of
> translation files, preliminary test builds, large test cases images, and
> similar big development related files that are hard to move around and
> distribute, but need to be shared. To provide this we might do
> something like anonymous ftp upload to a staging area, and then ssh
> account access to an account where you could share the files on public
> web server.

Before we (es-ES) can give a definitive answer, we would need a more
clear position about if:

- Could that space be linked from our own websites?
- Could we host mozilla-related products that don't belong to
mozilla.org? I think we are not the only one hosting Nvu and
extensions, and both things are eating most of our mensual traffic
quota.
- If we would have SSH access, could we arrange things so we could put
those files in our hosting space and synchronize them using
rsync+ssh (ideally, as a cron task)? That would be ideal for us.

From my POV, a web hosting is something more or less affordable for
most of us, except if too much bandwith is demanded. So that would be
the most useful feature. Other people may have constraints on what
features they get from their hosting (forums, PHP vs. plain HTML,
wikis, etc.) and they can benefit from those things, but I think they
would the exception, not the rule.