Mozilla Firefox, now in Gujarati and Punjabi

Sangeeta Kumari

Jun 23, 2008, 8:11:47 AM6/23/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1172857

**It seems from the news the rest of Indian Languages are not 'motivated'?!
What FireFox is doing to increase the motivation of the communities.

I can see lot of languages from long time here at

http://l10n.mozilla.org/~buildslave/incubator/

What is the plan for these langs?

Thanks,

Sangeeta

shankar prasad

Jun 23, 2008, 8:42:07 AM6/23/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
True, when it comes to the motivation part, indic language community is
self driven and most of the languages are above 75% translated state, and
still eagerly waiting to get it included in the release!!

Shankar

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Sangeeta Kumari <sange...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1172857
>
> **It seems from the news the rest of Indian Languages are not 'motivated'?!
> What FireFox is doing to increase the motivation of the communities.
>
> I can see lot of languages from long time here at
>

> http://l10n.mozilla.org/~buildslave/incubator/<http://l10n.mozilla.org/%7Ebuildslave/incubator/>

> What is the plan for these langs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sangeeta

Axel Hecht

Jun 23, 2008, 10:12:06 AM6/23/08

Sangeeta,

it is rather rude to put a whole subcontinent of languages into one
bucket, and even more so if you put a "not motivated" label on that.

Provocation is not going to get anything done.

We have a few very devoted volunteers for some Indic languages, sadly we
had process problem, technical problems and then Firefox 3 just flooded
the gates of folks like me, who are needed to make this happen.

Axel

chris hofmann

Jun 23, 2008, 10:50:38 AM6/23/08
to shankar prasad, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org

The part of the article that talks about motivation is definitely a
misquote, it is unfortunate, and I applogies to for any misunderstanding.

The question from the reporter was "Why doesn't Mozilla ship Hindi?",
and the response was to say that we have worked to 46 different locale
teams to get them shipping simutaneously with Firefox 3. We also talked
about addons.mozilla.org which host other locales that are in
development and some of which should be shipping soon.

Our PR folks will follow up with the reporter to clear the
misunderstanding around any lack of motivation that was implied in the
article which is definitely not true, and the fact that we are very
excited about the possibility of Hindi and other Indic languages
shipping soon.

Chris Hofmann

shankar prasad wrote:
> True, when it comes to the motivation part, indic language community is
> self driven and most of the languages are above 75% translated state, and
> still eagerly waiting to get it included in the release!!
>
> Shankar
>
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Sangeeta Kumari <sange...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1172857
>>
>> **It seems from the news the rest of Indian Languages are not 'motivated'?!
>> What FireFox is doing to increase the motivation of the communities.
>>
>> I can see lot of languages from long time here at
>>

>> http://l10n.mozilla.org/~buildslave/incubator/<http://l10n.mozilla.org/%7Ebuildslave/incubator/>

>> What is the plan for these langs?

Sangeeta Kumari

Jun 23, 2008, 10:55:27 AM6/23/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Axel Hecht
Hi Axel,

I didn't started discourse on "Motivation". Please read the whole
news. That comes from Mozilla office:

"It's not that Mozilla hasn't given Hindi a chance. In fact, if you
visit the addons.mozilla.org website, you will find language packs for
Hindi and Tamil. However, these packs need to be developed by
'motivated' individuals into the respective Firefox languages."

I know your passion about open source and I am not telling you
personally. Actually Mozilla should not take only the ownership of
success of communities, they should take ownership of failure as well.

I am really sorry if my comments hurt anybody.

regards,

Sangeeta

chris hofmann

Jun 23, 2008, 12:23:50 PM6/23/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Sangeeta Kumari, Axel Hecht

my first reply bounced, resending

-chofmann

Chris Hofmann wrote:
> Sangeeta Kumari wrote:
>> Hi Axel,
>>
>> I didn't started discourse on "Motivation". Please read the whole
>> news. That comes from Mozilla office:
>>
>> "It's not that Mozilla hasn't given Hindi a chance. In fact, if you
>> visit the addons.mozilla.org website, you will find language packs for
>> Hindi and Tamil. However, these packs need to be developed by
>> 'motivated' individuals into the respective Firefox languages."
>>

> Hi Sangeeta,
>
> The quoted text came from the reporter, not the Mozilla office, and
> was very unfortunate.
>
> This part, "It's not that Mozilla hasn't given Hindi a chance", was
> the reporter turning around our words to say that we work with
> localization communities around the world to ship as many locales as
> we possibly can with each release.
>
> The second part, "However, these packs [need to be] developed by
> 'motivated' individuals into the respective Firefox languages",
> should have said something like "language packs and full versions or
> Firefox *are being* developed by highly 'motivated' individuals.
>
> That's really the way that we feel about things, and we need to say it
> more! We really appreciate the work that all l10n teams do to bring
> Firefox to users around the world.
>
> -Chris Hofmann

>> I know your passion about open source and I am not telling you
>> personally. Actually Mozilla should not take only the ownership of
>> success of communities, they should take ownership of failure as well.
>>
>> I am really sorry if my comments hurt anybody.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Sangeeta

Ankit Patel

Jun 23, 2008, 12:31:22 PM6/23/08
to Sangeeta Kumari, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Axel Hecht
Hi Sangeeta,

I am taking care of Gujarati Firefox Localization since last three years and it was really challenging (and Important too) task to get Gujarati included into official mozilla website. The process is challenging but it's important too because it makes sure that the language shipped from official mozilla website is perfect. So, I think language co-ordinators might need to put more efforts than they are putting now to get their languages released. However, I admit that the localization process is quite difficult compared to other project localizations, which we are working on.

Btw, You can find all indic language co-ordinators from this URL: http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Teams , who takes care of the specific indic Firefox localizataion efforts. That will help you to reach Hindi Mozilla Language co-ordinator or whatever the language you would like to see in Firefox. Specific Indic Language co-ordinator would probably answer why their language couldn't make this time. Btw, we have a group for Indic Mozilla Localizers, where you can catch all Indic Mozilla Localization co-ordinators... https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n-in

Nice to see someone from India really interested in seeing Firefox in Indic languages... We are happy to see more contributors from India working on Mozilla localization, which helps us to introduce as many possible indian languages as we can in next versions of Firefox.

Thanks a lot!
Ankit Patel
www.indianoss.org

I didn't started discourse on "Motivation". Please read the whole
news. That comes from Mozilla office:

"It's not that Mozilla hasn't given Hindi a chance. In fact, if you
visit the addons.mozilla.org website, you will find language packs for
Hindi and Tamil. However, these packs need to be developed by
'motivated' individuals into the respective Firefox languages."

I know your passion about open source and I am not telling you

regards,

Sangeeta

Get an email ID as your...@ymail.com or your...@rocketmail.com. Click here http://in.promos..yahoo.com/address

Ankit Patel

Jun 23, 2008, 12:31:43 PM6/23/08
to Sangeeta Kumari, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Axel Hecht

danishka

Jun 24, 2008, 5:22:51 AM6/24/08
Hi All,

This is my personal view.
I'm taking care of Sinhala (si).
I was wondering why this topic wasn't reached over the mozilla indic
list.
You should rais this question for your community.

>http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1172857

>**It seems from the news the rest of Indian Languages are not 'motivated'?!
>What FireFox is doing to increase the motivation of the communities.

Did you ask the same from your community/coordinator?
Did you checked Fedora, gnome and OOO motivation?
AFAIK no, they don't do any thing for their l10m contributors.

>I can see lot of languages from long time here at

>http://l10n.mozilla.org/~buildslave/incubator/

Pls understand this is a community project and we are working as
volunteers.
I really worried about your comment as Mozilla upstream serving to all
in a similar manner.

And did you checked the progress of the Tamil translation? (NOT the
language pack)
It wasn't moved up? Is it a issue with Mozilla?
It is a problem with those who working for the particular language.

AFAIK, all these Indic languages started Fx 2 translation on same time
parallel to the Sinhala.
Finally Sinhala released, but I didn't get any extra favour from the
Mozilla.

Releasing a language pack is a easy task but not a fully localized
locale.
If you are interested on l10n why don't you contribute to Mozilla
instead of just looking here and there?
Welcome to the Mozilla community. :)

Now new locale is coming for the Tamils it is ta-LK, but Mozilla
didn't requested them to work on Fx.
But there are working. It is there self motivation.

>== 2 of 8 ==
>Date: Mon 23 Jun 2008 05:42
>From: "shankar prasad"

>True, when it comes to the motivation part, Indic language community is

>self driven and most of the languages are above 75% translated state, and
>still eagerly waiting to get it included in the release!!

Dude, are you getting any single needle from the gnome or OOO?
Even external (non RH) contributors are working without any
Motivation.
Lets work together.
Please keep in your mind, you are working for your community.

I' really happy to see how Sri Lankan Government going to implement Fx
si.
It is my motivation point. :)

Best Regards,
Danishka
PS: Don't be a patient who needs medicine/drugs tries a day. You
should be self motivated.

shankar prasad

Jun 24, 2008, 5:55:27 AM6/24/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, danishka
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 2:52 PM, danishka <dani...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is my personal view.
> I'm taking care of Sinhala (si).
> I was wondering why this topic wasn't reached over the mozilla indic
> list.
> You should rais this question for your community.
>
> >http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1172857
>
> >**It seems from the news the rest of Indian Languages are not
> 'motivated'?!
> >What FireFox is doing to increase the motivation of the communities.
>
> Did you ask the same from your community/coordinator?
> Did you checked Fedora, gnome and OOO motivation?
> AFAIK no, they don't do any thing for their l10m contributors.
>
> >I can see lot of languages from long time here at
>

> >http://l10n.mozilla.org/~buildslave/incubator/<http://l10n.mozilla.org/%7Ebuildslave/incubator/>

By motivation what i meant was not just the any gifts or favor, we need to
have some easy process to get our language included. If you are comparing
this with other community project, they never go through this kind of
complicate process. I never felt any difficulty to get my translation
included in the release of these projects... So we are talking about the
ease in process not the monetary benefit!!

> Lets work together.
> Please keep in your mind, you are working for your community.

Thats why I am here!! ;)

> I' really happy to see how Sri Lankan Government going to implement Fx
> si.
> It is my motivation point. :)
>

> Best Regards,
> Danishka
> PS: Don't be a patient who needs medicine/drugs tries a day. You
> should be self motivated.

Danishka Navin

Jun 24, 2008, 6:11:27 AM6/24/08
to shankar prasad, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:25 PM, shankar prasad <prasa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 2:52 PM, danishka <dani...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is my personal view.
>> I'm taking care of Sinhala (si).
>> I was wondering why this topic wasn't reached over the mozilla indic
>> list.
>> You should rais this question for your community.
>>
>> >http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1172857
>>
>> >**It seems from the news the rest of Indian Languages are not
>> 'motivated'?!
>> >What FireFox is doing to increase the motivation of the communities.
>>
>> Did you ask the same from your community/coordinator?
>> Did you checked Fedora, gnome and OOO motivation?
>> AFAIK no, they don't do any thing for their l10m contributors.
>>
>> >I can see lot of languages from long time here at
>>

>> >http://l10n.mozilla.org/~buildslave/incubator/<http://l10n.mozilla.org/%7Ebuildslave/incubator/>

> By motivation what i meant was not just the any gifts or favor, we need to
> have some easy process to get our language included. If you are comparing
> this with other community project, they never go through this kind of
> complicate process. I never felt any difficulty to get my translation
> included in the release of these projects... So we are talking about the
> ease in process not the monetary benefit!!

wow..
Can't you remember the OOO process ?
Did you submitted last time (for 2.3.1) ? ;)
It is the most difficult one.
Dude, what about KDE process?

>> Lets work together.
>> Please keep in your mind, you are working for your community.
>>

> Thats why I am here!! ;)
>

>> I' really happy to see how Sri Lankan Government going to implement Fx
>> si.
>> It is my motivation point. :)
>>

>> Best Regards,
>> Danishka
>> PS: Don't be a patient who needs medicine/drugs tries a day. You
>> should be self motivated.

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com (use Sinhala Unicode fonts)

Rajesh Ranjan

Jun 24, 2008, 6:12:15 AM6/24/08
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Danishka,

Your language pack is not for FF2.x. You see here, all are here at incubator release.

http://l10n.mozilla.org/~buildslave/incubator/

Due to some technical reason, we all are still with ff2.x. Axel knows better about it and he explained it in his mail here on this thread.

The cause by which this thread has started, got answer from responsible person.

I appreciate Chris/Axel clarification but need is to concentrate on the langauge which is still with incubator from long time!!

Regards,

Rajesh

I was wondering why this topic wasn't reached over the mozilla indic
list.
You should rais this question for your community.

>http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1172857

>**It seems from the news the rest of Indian Languages are not 'motivated'?!
>What FireFox is doing to increase the motivation of the communities.

Did you ask the same from your community/coordinator?
Did you checked Fedora, gnome and OOO motivation?
AFAIK no, they don't do any thing for their l10m contributors.

>I can see lot of languages from long time here at

>http://l10n.mozilla.org/~buildslave/incubator/

Pls understand this is a community project and we are working as

Lets work together.
Please keep in your mind, you are working for your community.

I' really happy to see how Sri Lankan Government going to implement Fx

danishka

Jun 24, 2008, 3:23:47 PM6/24/08
Hi Rajesh,

Nice to see you over here.
I was wondering why that lady is talking over here instead talking on
mozilla.in mailing list 1st.
Never saw such a person on the irc too. :)

On Jun 24, 3:12 pm, Rajesh Ranjan <rajeshka...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Danishka,
>
> Your language pack is not for FF2.x. You see here, all are here at incubator release.

As you know we started Fx 2.x translation together under the same
roof. :)
I have submited my language pack over the registration bug, both Ankit
verfied locally and Axel checked and fix few issue.
Due to early conversations with resposible people, they asked me to
work on trunk instead of playing on language pack.
I (After leaving your employer) used work as per Mozilla/Firefox
comments.
And bug them so many times. Finaly si and sl locales released with RC
2.

Yes, I agreed, large number of people are using hi-IN, it should be
in.

> http://l10n.mozilla.org/~buildslave/incubator/
>
> Due to some technical reason, we all are still with ff2.x. Axel knows better about it and he explained it in his mail here on this thread.
>
> The cause by which this thread has started, got answer from  responsible person.
>
> I appreciate Chris/Axel clarification but need is to concentrate on the langauge which is still with incubator from long time!!

Hope they will fix it ASAP.

Bye Rajesh
Dosth, hope to see you again. :)

This for those who telling that the Mozilla Process is dificulties
than other systems:

People those who worked on gnome|l10n can see the progress value(%)
for your translation, but not a hourly or daily graph.
But in Mozilla you can access such information. And Mozilla is not
asking to build your locale after submiting to the trunk.
It will automatically start the building process, but gnome doesn't.
Even OOO require more than 15hrs local build before the submission.

If you all noticed, they came up with nice interfaces to get good idea
about the translation work.
For examplethe dashboard, and comparion scripts with GUI.
They didn't asked to do duplicate submissions as we did start of the
Fedora transflex.

Appreaciate the help rendered by Axel, Mic, Pascal, Ankit, Aman and
Sandy (mr-IN).

Best Regards,
Danishka

PS:
The Gnome is a community (FOSS) project, but control by the RH as they
have more internal ppl contributing to it.
The KDE is a community (FOSS) project, but control by the Suse as
they have more internal ppl contributing to it.
The Mozilla is a community (Organic/FOSS) project, but neither can't
control the Mozilla. ;)

chetan...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2012, 6:28:18 AM12/26/12
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
सोमवार, 23 जून 2008 5:41:47 pm UTC+5:30 को, Sangeeta Kumari ने लिखा: