Quick Search bar is cropped in most locales

doutor.zero

Mar 14, 2007, 9:58:58 PM3/14/07
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
In most of the locales, the quick search bar get cropped. The problem is
that the main toolbar is full of icons, and that only work in plain
english. In my locale (pt-BR) the quick search is cut in a half, in
others it don't appear at all.

http://img46.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=18694_tb_122_92lo.jpg

Can you remove some icons, like Back/Forward?

--
/Se o conhecimento pode criar problemas, não é através da ignorância que
podemos solucioná-los./

doutor.zero

Mar 14, 2007, 10:02:38 PM3/14/07

Sorry, I forgot add a screenshot of some other locales:

http://img40.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=22836_tb_122_275lo.jpg

Robert Kaiser

Mar 15, 2007, 7:36:13 AM3/15/07
doutor.zero schrieb:

> In most of the locales, the quick search bar get cropped.

Oh, you meant in *Thunderbird*?

Please tell which product you're talking of when you're talking to a
non-product-specific newsgroup...

Robert Kaiser

Axel Hecht

Mar 15, 2007, 7:52:23 AM3/15/07

Yeah, this looks ungood. I don't see a short term solution for that,
though. For one, it of course depends on your window size, though 1020px
wide isn't too small.

I don't think that dropping buttons is the real way to go either.
Firefox goes for icons only, maybe for this very reason.

I'd personally release-note this problem, unless Scott wants to jump the
gun and go over to icons in a hurry.

Axel

Alexander Ihrig

Mar 15, 2007, 8:43:24 AM3/15/07
In general IMHO there are to much elements in Thunderbirds toolbar. This
is a result of moving the quicksearch and the views into the toolbar.
Maybe it would be a better solution to move the quicksearch into the
main menu bar?

For germans Thunderbird 1024 pixel are okay in Win XP with XP style. A
look into Outlook Express shows "Allen antworten" = "Allen antw.". Maybe
I should change this?

Regards
Alex Ihrig

Robert Kaiser

Mar 15, 2007, 9:09:56 AM3/15/07
Alexander Ihrig schrieb:

> For germans Thunderbird 1024 pixel are okay in Win XP with XP style. A
> look into Outlook Express shows "Allen antworten" = "Allen antw.". Maybe
> I should change this?

SeaMonkey has "Antw. an alle" there, just as a note - and I never heard
complaints about that abbreviation from users in years.

Robert Kaiser

doutor.zero

Mar 15, 2007, 9:28:55 AM3/15/07

Sorry Robert. I'm just came here late at night to do a favor for a
friend translator, so I ended doing a incomplete report.

It's for Thunderbird 2 (yesterday build) in Linux, Mandriva 2007 with
the default fonts (sans?).

Thanks

Alexander Ihrig

Mar 15, 2007, 1:37:32 PM3/15/07
> SeaMonkey has "Antw. an alle" there, just as a note

I'd prefer to have only 2 words instead of 3, so "Allen antw." would be
my prefered abbreviation.

Marek Stępień

Mar 15, 2007, 3:12:08 PM3/15/07
Alexander Ihrig pisze:

> In general IMHO there are to much elements in Thunderbirds toolbar. This
> is a result of moving the quicksearch and the views into the toolbar.
> Maybe it would be a better solution to move the quicksearch into the
> main menu bar?

That would make the menu bar to high on Linux and Windows. Also, you
can't do that on the Mac.

--
Marek Stępień <marcoos at aviary dot pl>
Aviary.pl Team