Creating a <locale>.jar file from the CVS structure

Damjan Georgievski

Nov 22, 2006, 9:22:45 AM11/22/06
I think it was hinted in this news group how to do it.. but I can't find it.

So, is there some script that can package a <locale>.jar (mk.jar in my case)
from the CVS structure.

--
damjan

Marek Stępień

Nov 22, 2006, 10:07:06 AM11/22/06
Damjan Georgievski napisał(a):

> I think it was hinted in this news group how to do it.. but I can't find it.
>
> So, is there some script that can package a <locale>.jar (mk.jar in my case)
> from the CVS structure.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Creating_a_Language_Pack

This will get you the installation-ready XPI langpack. If you need the
jar itself (what for?), you can get it from inside that XPI.

--
Marek Stępień <marcoos at aviary dot pl>
Aviary.pl Team

Damjan Georgievski

Nov 22, 2006, 10:29:53 AM11/22/06
>> I think it was hinted in this news group how to do it.. but I can't find
>> it.
>>
>> So, is there some script that can package a <locale>.jar (mk.jar in my
>> case) from the CVS structure.
>
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Creating_a_Language_Pack

But I need the whole mozilla source for this... and it will try to build it
too, right?

Isn't there a simpler way?

> This will get you the installation-ready XPI langpack. If you need the
> jar itself (what for?), you can get it from inside that XPI.

I need the .jar to replace the one in my Firefox installation and test the
translation before submitting patches...

--
damjan

Marek Stępień

Nov 22, 2006, 10:41:20 AM11/22/06
Damjan Georgievski napisał:

> Isn't there a simpler way?

No, at least not by using the official Mozilla build tools.

If that's just for testing an updated jar, you can try to manually
replace the modified files inside the jar. It's easy to do e.g. with
Midnight Commander on Linux.

Marek Stępień

Nov 22, 2006, 11:28:53 AM11/22/06
Marek Stępień napisał(a):

> Damjan Georgievski napisał:
>> Isn't there a simpler way?
>
> No, at least not by using the official Mozilla build tools.

...but check Dwayne's thread "Quick builds for localisers (full or
partial)" for sth that may help you.

Axel Hecht

Nov 22, 2006, 1:12:21 PM11/22/06
Damjan Georgievski wrote:
>>> I think it was hinted in this news group how to do it.. but I can't find
>>> it.
>>>
>>> So, is there some script that can package a <locale>.jar (mk.jar in my
>>> case) from the CVS structure.
>> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Creating_a_Language_Pack
>
> But I need the whole mozilla source for this... and it will try to build it
> too, right?

No, you just need what l10n-checkout gives you. On a linux box, you
should in general have all the development tools you need, too.

The requirements start with the fact that you need the autoconf output,
which requires a run of autoconf (and a build dir), which requires
/bin/sh, i.e., a unix shell to run it. That is, cygwin or mingw(?) on
windows to run it. bsmedberg is working on a replacement for that, which
will start to do not use configure for tamarin.

> Isn't there a simpler way?

Working on it. Sadly, it's not straight simple, because I need to
recreate the jar building, which means recreating the preprocessing.

>> This will get you the installation-ready XPI langpack. If you need the
>> jar itself (what for?), you can get it from inside that XPI.
>
> I need the .jar to replace the one in my Firefox installation and test the
> translation before submitting patches...

The good news is, you can use the linux lang-pack on windows and mac.

Axel

Robert Kaiser

Nov 23, 2006, 11:17:04 AM11/23/06
Axel Hecht schrieb:

> Damjan Georgievski wrote:
>> Isn't there a simpler way?
>
> Working on it. Sadly, it's not straight simple, because I need to
> recreate the jar building, which means recreating the preprocessing.

It would be nice if one could do

make -f client.mk langpack-ab-CD

and depending on the app to build, this would fetch all needed files
from CVS and build the langpack.

Robert Kaiser

Axel Hecht

Nov 23, 2006, 12:20:39 PM11/23/06

Ad-hoc. langpack-ab-CD needs make-jars.pl to know whether it is supposed
to package into jars or flats. And we need dist.

We really would need to replace configure with something more
lightweight, not that make is, to boot with.

Though this problem may be less painful for a linux system, on the other
hand, it's not that much of a magic to get stuff done there.

I should probably try that again with an build env.

Axel

Robert Kaiser

Nov 24, 2006, 9:58:09 AM11/24/06
Axel Hecht schrieb:

> Though this problem may be less painful for a linux system, on the other
> hand, it's not that much of a magic to get stuff done there.

Well, installing cygwin tools on Windows or Xcode tools on MacOSX solves
this for the other platforms well enough.
This is basically no big magic as well (done both myself for my
tinderboxen), only that cygwin installer is a bit illogical to use for
some end-users (I think with documentation, we can solve this) and Xcode
requires a free registration and a somewhat big download.

Apart from that, the steps for having perl, make and a shell so that
those build scripts run are not too complicated. What we should achieve
is to make it easy to get from there to a langpack (.xpi and/or .jar),
and I think setting up a basic mozconfig (or setting some env vars),
fetching client.mk and using one simple command to get and build the
langpack should do that.

If we expect people to install cvs and a UTF-8 editor and use those to
edit and commit source files, then we can expect those that want to
rebuild a langpack to install some cygwin tools, create a simple
mozconfig and execute two simple cmd/shell commands.

Those that want to use tools for just translation or use web-based tools
are a different "beast" though, and maybe we can provide them some
solution to have a web-based service that they feed with their L10n
files and gives them back the XPI or JAR file.

Robert Kaiser