[ANNOUNCE] String and code freezes on 1.9.2, Fennec 1.0 and Firefox 3.6

Axel Hecht

Sep 3, 2009, 6:43:20 AM9/3/09
Hi all,

there's good news, we have string and code freezes coming up for Fennec
and Firefox, on 1.9.2.

String freezes:

- toolkit 1.9.2 string-freezes this Friday, Sept 4th
- mobile-browser string-freezes this Friday, Sept 4th
- browser 1.9.2 string-freezes Monday, Sept 14th

I'm not dead-on sure for mobile, but the other two are string freezes
for good. No surprises, only a few strings, get 'em in.

Expect the personas uptake into the addons manager and the old-plugins
alert, and that's about it. Beltzner is keeping this one really slim.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/DeliveryMeetings/2009-09-02 has details.

The code freezes that go along with that are:

Fennec 1.0x:
o September 14 - beta 4 code freeze
o September 18 - beta 4 delivery

Firefox 3.6:
* September 4 - shared code string freeze
* September 14 - string freeze
* September 21 - beta 1 code freeze
* September 29 - beta 1 delivery
* October 12 - rc1 code freeze
* October 20 - rc1 delivery
* early November - final release

We'll open up opt-in threads for both as time comes, for Fennec probably
somewhat in the middle of string freeze. I need to ask Brad if we're
going to get the deb packages before or not.

Also, this is a great time to get your testers on a nightly build and
give you immediate feedback, and to get more contributors in. The bites
are small, and the return value is immediate. So invite folks to check
out the ftp site. To give you an idea how the user counts look, this
week we had about 6k on en-US, 470 on ru, zh-CN 100, es-AR 37, de 36, ja
32, pl 26, zh-TW 19, pt-BR 18, fr 16, en-GB and uk 10, and then es-ES,
it, ko, ar, ja-JP-mac, es-MX, ro, sv-SE, bg, hu, tr with a few, and with
one tester, cs, sk, sl, ca, el ka, nb-NO, nl, pt-PT. If you're not on,
you're not eating dogfood. For dogfood, that might be good, but for
browser, y'know...

Thanks, and if you have questions, ask away, either here or in #l10n.

Axel

Brian King

Sep 3, 2009, 12:54:14 PM9/3/09
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Do any docs exist yet on how to localise Fennec?

- Brian

Brian King
Need free Mozilla project hosting?
http://mozdev.org

Axel Hecht

Sep 3, 2009, 1:06:09 PM9/3/09
On 03.09.09 18:54, Brian King wrote:
> Do any docs exist yet on how to localise Fennec?

I wouldn't call it a doc, but here it goes:

You're translating http://hg.mozilla.org/mobile-browser, in particular,
the stuff beneatch locales/en-US. You put that into the 1.9.2 l10n repo,
into the 'mobile' subdirectory. That's where mobile-browser is when you
actually follow the build instruction inside the gecko repo.

We'll be talking about search etc soon, so leave that alone for now.
Stas is on that right now.

Not really docs, but you get the idea? l10n-merge is on, so start with
some chrome file and you're a go :-)

Axel

Frco. Javier Rial

Sep 4, 2009, 5:02:54 AM9/4/09
On 3 sep, 12:43, Axel Hecht <l...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there's good news, we have string and code freezes coming up for Fennec
> and Firefox, on 1.9.2.
>
> String freezes:
>
> - toolkit 1.9.2 string-freezes this Friday, Sept 4th
> - mobile-browser string-freezes this Friday, Sept 4th
> - browser 1.9.2 string-freezes Monday, Sept 14th
>
> I'm not dead-on sure for mobile, but the other two are string freezes
> for good. No surprises, only a few strings, get 'em in.
>
> Expect the personas uptake into the addons manager and the old-plugins
> alert, and that's about it. Beltzner is keeping this one really slim.
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/DeliveryMeetings/2009-09-02has details.

Pufff.. I'm so sorry, but I'll be on holidays since today, september
4th, until september 21th..
I'll miss the fennec beta 4 and the firefox 3.6 beta 1 dates.

So, I'll try to delegate the translation of new strings in someone
else, but I can't promise anything..

I hope that there will not be any problem with galician final
versions.

Best regards.
Frco. Javier Rial
Galician Localization Team.

Axel Hecht

Sep 4, 2009, 7:41:41 AM9/4/09
to Frco. Javier Rial

Bad timing.

If you have someone stepping up, please let us know, and we'll make sure
that we find some buddies for her or him to get translations landed.

Thanks

Axel

Axel Hecht

Sep 7, 2009, 4:41:46 AM9/7/09
Update, the fennec guys didn't make it yet, I'll update you once I have
more details. That shouldn't keep you from updating your 1.9.2
repositories, of course. FWIW, it's labor day in the US today, too :-/

Axel

Axel Hecht

Sep 10, 2009, 5:28:22 AM9/10/09

another update:

After yesterday's meeting sprint, the fennec string freeze is still not
done, and there's more strings to come.

We're now aiming at freezing mobile-browser this Friday. The mobile team
is currently evaluating what that means for the schedule.

I'm optimistic that all pending bugs are now showing up in this bugzilla
query,
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=[fennec+l10n]&resolution=---&chfieldto=Now.

The strings should be few, so get ahead.

Sorry

Axel

Axel Hecht

Sep 16, 2009, 4:46:08 PM9/16/09

Fennec is going to skip Beta 4 for l10n, the infrastructure isn't ready
yet. There is going to be a Beta 5, timing of which is TBD.

Sorry for the noise.

I'll write another post for fx36 in a few.

Axel