A script to convert langpack into cvs source tree

Cédric Corazza

Apr 17, 2007, 5:05:19 PM4/17/07

I wrote a bash script to convert xpi langpack into cvs source tree, as
some new locales provided a langpack tree in their bug instead of cvs
source tree, and it is very long to convert that manually (believe me ;) ).

The script can certainly be improved or written in some other language
and I didn't manage yet with the specific stuff from the trunk (like
places for instance). I will do that in the next days.

At the moment, the script is hosted on my personal web site until we
come to a decision on how to deal with it.

For the maintenance of the script, each time a file/directory is
added/removed on the branch/trunk, one have to check if it is already
handled by the current commands. I will do that until we know
where/when/what/how... we handle it. Axel should know ;) .

Well, this kind of a dirty script as you will see, but it works.

Here's the link to the page with a little howto and download link:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cedric.corazza.net/html/langpack2cvstree.html

Cédric

Axel Hecht

Apr 30, 2007, 4:25:26 AM4/30/07

Hi Cedric,

thanks for the script. I'd have hacked it differently, of course ;-),
yet, it's a good start.

Looking at it, netError is probably stripped back wrong, I'm not sure
about other overrides. Given the ambiguity in branding (official vs.
unoffical, BoneCho vs Fireox), I'd disable branding completely, and warn
about that.

Any reason why you implemented calendar and disabled it?

That should get folks a good deal further along though, if they stepped
into the dead-end-road of working directly on a langpack. This together
with what Abdulkadir promised in terms of beautifying the source back up
to en-US should be 95% of it.

Axel

Cédric Corazza

May 1, 2007, 4:36:06 PM5/1/07
Axel Hecht a écrit :

> Looking at it, netError is probably stripped back wrong, I'm not sure
> about other overrides.

I don't understand what you meant there

> Given the ambiguity in branding (official vs.
> unoffical, BoneCho vs Fireox), I'd disable branding completely, and warn
> about that.

Are you talking about the /branding directories? Removing the branding
files from ab-CD locale and add a warning in results.log telling they
are missing was what you thought?

So far I added support for calendar and for trunk. Also, it's not
necessary anymore to unzip the jar. As langpacks for Sunbird come with
two jars, I automated this action. The script is now hosted on the
frenchmozilla cvs.
The html page is updated also :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cedric.corazza.net/html/langpack2cvstree.html

Cédric

Axel Hecht

May 1, 2007, 4:49:46 PM5/1/07
Cédric Corazza wrote:
> Axel Hecht a écrit :
>
>> Looking at it, netError is probably stripped back wrong, I'm not sure
>> about other overrides.
> I don't understand what you meant there

AFAICT, you unpack netError.dtd to dom,
http://mxr.mozilla.org/l10n-mozilla1.8/source/fr/dom/chrome/netError.dtd
though the one in the language pack is likely the one from browser,
http://mxr.mozilla.org/l10n-mozilla1.8/source/fr/browser/chrome/overrides/netError.dtd

> > Given the ambiguity in branding (official vs.
>> unoffical, BoneCho vs Fireox), I'd disable branding completely, and
>> warn about that.
> Are you talking about the /branding directories? Removing the branding
> files from ab-CD locale and add a warning in results.log telling they
> are missing was what you thought?

Yeah.

> So far I added support for calendar and for trunk. Also, it's not
> necessary anymore to unzip the jar. As langpacks for Sunbird come with
> two jars, I automated this action. The script is now hosted on the
> frenchmozilla cvs.
> The html page is updated also :
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cedric.corazza.net/html/langpack2cvstree.html
>
> Cédric

Axel

Cédric Corazza

May 1, 2007, 5:21:54 PM5/1/07
Axel Hecht a écrit :

> AFAICT, you unpack netError.dtd to dom,
> http://mxr.mozilla.org/l10n-mozilla1.8/source/fr/dom/chrome/netError.dtd
> though the one in the language pack is likely the one from browser,
> http://mxr.mozilla.org/l10n-mozilla1.8/source/fr/browser/chrome/overrides/netError.dtd

Ah, OK. You're right. Same for appstrings.properties. I will fix that.

>> > Given the ambiguity in branding (official vs.
>>> unoffical, BoneCho vs Fireox), I'd disable branding completely, and
>>> warn about that.
>> Are you talking about the /branding directories? Removing the branding
>> files from ab-CD locale and add a warning in results.log telling they
>> are missing was what you thought?
>
> Yeah.

OK, I will do that too.

Cédric

Cédric Corazza

May 3, 2007, 2:33:09 PM5/3/07
The branding files are now removed for each product from the new locale
cvs tree and the overrides files are now copied in the right place (this
only concerns Firefox)

Cédric