search plugin format final, build changes pending

1 view

Axel Hecht

Jun 2, 2006, 7:22:37 PM6/2/06
Hi folks,

we have settled for the search plugin format, we dropped the OS
namespace in favour of our own. As we need an extension to the OS
format, just going for one mozilla one will make things easier and less
error prone.

I'm having a patch in bug 339783 to fix the build to actually only pick
up the new format, which will add a feature, i.e., if the name fits, it
will pick up the plugins from the en-US directory. This is in particular
for the google plugin, as that one is the best thing we have for the
world (yeah, sounds BIG, huh?).

For the yahoo plugin, there's no good rule to create those
automagically, so please create those yourself. Drop the
<SuggestionURL>, that is still in the making, we'll add that on a case
by case basis as yahoo provides the infrastructure there.

In terms of encodings, please just use utf-8, this is just XML after all.

In terms of the list of search engines, don't just change that, don't
add random flags etc. If you check in fixes to your search engines,
please reference the original approval bug for the .src file, so that we
can cross check easily. I'm hereby giving a whitecard approval for
check-ins that merely convert, but please check in the with the
appropriate comment. If you haven't done, please check in a dummy fix
with the right comment.

As a general hint, we're still not using the Description anywhere in the
UI, so don't spend too much time on getting that somewhere, we just use
the Name.

Thanks and have fun

Axel

Ricardo Palomares Martinez

Jun 3, 2006, 6:56:01 AM6/3/06
Axel Hecht escribió:

> Hi folks,
>
> we have settled for the search plugin format, we dropped the OS
> namespace in favour of our own.

Just to clarify, in this context "OS" means "Open Search" instead of
"Operating System", doesn't it?

Ricardo.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Axel Hecht

Jun 3, 2006, 9:02:58 AM6/3/06
Ricardo Palomares Martinez wrote:
> Axel Hecht escribió:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> we have settled for the search plugin format, we dropped the OS
>> namespace in favour of our own.
>

> Just to clarify, in this context "OS" means "Open Search" instead of
> "Operating System", doesn't it?

Yes it does.

Axel

Michele Dal Corso

Jun 6, 2006, 5:46:23 PM6/6/06
Axel Hecht ha scritto:

> This is in particular
> for the google plugin, as that one is the best thing we have for the
> world (yeah, sounds BIG, huh?).

Axel, it seems that Google suggestions is in English. Is there a way to
localize it? (a flag, or changing domain...)

Thank you,
Michele Dal Corso

Michele Dal Corso

Jun 6, 2006, 6:04:52 PM6/6/06
Michele Dal Corso ha scritto:

I found the solution for google. You should add an attribute

hl=it

where "it" is the iso label for your language, to the Suggestion URL.
For example from:

<SuggestionURL>http://www.google.com/complete/search?csv=t&amp;qu=</SuggestionURL>

<SuggestionURL>http://www.google.com/complete/search?hl=it&amp;csv=t&amp;qu=</SuggestionURL>

It works! Now I will investigate the solution for Yahoo.

Axel: should I rename localized plugins from google.xml to
google-it.xml, like for 1.8.0 branch?

Axel Hecht

Jun 7, 2006, 6:21:46 AM6/7/06
Michele Dal Corso wrote:
> Michele Dal Corso ha scritto:
>> Axel Hecht ha scritto:
>>> This is in particular for the google plugin, as that one is the best
>>> thing we have for the world (yeah, sounds BIG, huh?).
>>
>> Axel, it seems that Google suggestions is in English. Is there a way
>> to localize it? (a flag, or changing domain...)
>
> I found the solution for google. You should add an attribute
>
> hl=it
>
> where "it" is the iso label for your language, to the Suggestion URL.
> For example from:
>
> <SuggestionURL>http://www.google.com/complete/search?csv=t&amp;qu=</SuggestionURL>

> <SuggestionURL>http://www.google.com/complete/search?hl=it&amp;csv=t&amp;qu=</SuggestionURL>

my tests showed that suggest would be lang independent. I'm not sure
what the impact of adding hl=it is if you actually try to search for
something that is in English or French. Could you test that?

> It works! Now I will investigate the solution for Yahoo.

No need to investigate yahoo, we're doing this on our side.

> Axel: should I rename localized plugins from google.xml to
> google-it.xml, like for 1.8.0 branch?

Not for now, I'm still not convinced that we need separate plugins.
Discussing this is actually good, as it shows the odds and ends of
suggest in an intl environment. :-)

Axel

Michele Dal Corso

Jun 7, 2006, 7:40:26 AM6/7/06
Axel Hecht ha scritto:

> my tests showed that suggest would be lang independent. I'm not sure
> what the impact of adding hl=it is if you actually try to search for
> something that is in English or French. Could you test that?

Ok! I tried some incomplete Italian terms and, as you verified, there is
no differences with or without hl=it parameter (it is easy to do the
test inserting the suggestion url in the address bar).
It seems that google prefers English terms :-(

>> Axel: should I rename localized plugins from google.xml to
>> google-it.xml, like for 1.8.0 branch?
>
> Not for now, I'm still not convinced that we need separate plugins.
> Discussing this is actually good, as it shows the odds and ends of
> suggest in an intl environment. :-)

So, I can use eBay.xml for eBay.it and yahoo.xml for it.search.yahoo.com?

Axel Hecht

Jun 7, 2006, 1:06:55 PM6/7/06
Michele Dal Corso wrote:
> Axel Hecht ha scritto:
>
>> my tests showed that suggest would be lang independent. I'm not sure
>> what the impact of adding hl=it is if you actually try to search for
>> something that is in English or French. Could you test that?
>
> Ok! I tried some incomplete Italian terms and, as you verified, there is
> no differences with or without hl=it parameter (it is easy to do the
> test inserting the suggestion url in the address bar).
> It seems that google prefers English terms :-(

I filed bug 340693 on this.

>>> Axel: should I rename localized plugins from google.xml to
>>> google-it.xml, like for 1.8.0 branch?
>>
>> Not for now, I'm still not convinced that we need separate plugins.
>> Discussing this is actually good, as it shows the odds and ends of
>> suggest in an intl environment. :-)
>
> So, I can use eBay.xml for eBay.it and yahoo.xml for it.search.yahoo.com?

Oh, misunderstanding. If you have to modify the plugin, like for yahoo
and eBay, please use unique names, i.e., yahoo-it.xml or eBay-it.xml.

Just google is an extra case here.

Axel