[ANNOUNCE] Firefox 4 and Firefox Mobile (Fennec) 4 getting ready on l10n-central.

Axel Hecht

Oct 17, 2010, 2:36:23 PM10/17/10

this is a call out for all localizers who have been waiting for Firefox
4 (desktop and mobile) to get stable.

Stable we are, at least as stable as it gets. Strings are frozen for
both applications, up to nits around the current betas, update 7 for
desktop, update 2 for mobile.

As you probably seen from posts on planet and elsewhere, Firefox 4 and
in particular Gecko 2 carries a ton of really cool stuff. But not all is
going as planned, so we're throwing plans away and do new ones.

* We're not going to make any plans depending on the 2.0 branch *

That branch is going to come, but not in time. Thus, we're going to get
our localizations in shape to ship on l10n-central, now. When we branch,
we'll branch, and do our best to make that as little pain as we can.

For that, we'll help you now to get a proper setup. Not only for now,
but also such that we'll know enough about your setup that once we
branch for 2.0, we can help you quickly then.

The team of helpers here is me, stas, and gandalf. Please try to reach
us on the irc channel #l10n, with your favorite client or via the http
interface mibbit,
https://www.mibbit.com/?url=irc://irc.mozilla.org/l10n. In our
experience, mail is insufficient. We'll experiment with facebook and
twitter, though. Contact details below.

Preparation work you can do:
- For windows folks, update your MozillaBuild,
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Developer_Guide/Build_Instructions/Windows_Prerequisites#MozillaBuild
- All other platforms, get a current version of Mercurial. 1.6.x is
current, independent of what your distro says ;-)

The executive summary is:

- your localization work is on l10n-central/ab-CD. If you're not already
working there, please ask for help.
- en-US strings are in mozilla-central, and mobile-browser for mobile.

If that's too quick for you, that's cool. Please drop by and get your
own guide, it's gonna be rather straight forward if we walk you through
from scratch. Debugging things that went wrong is a cumbersome
experience for all of us.

If you're a community member that would like to help, please drop a mail
to the three of us and Seth. We'll welcome your help gladly, but we
would like to bootstrap you with the plan before you jump in.

Thanks, and see you online

Axel

PS: Contact details:

irc: Pike, stas, gandalf, on #l10n. Please use the channel so that we
can distribute the load. This is the preferred channel.

twitter: axelhecht, 5tas, zbraniecki
fb: http://www.facebook.com/axel.hecht, http://www.facebook.com/stasm,
http://www.facebook.com/zbraniecki