Spanish localizations, status quo and beyond

Axel Hecht

Oct 10, 2007, 1:39:37 PM10/10/07

I'd like to see a joint effort of our existing Spanish localization
teams together with new volunteers from other Spanish-speaking parts of
the world to give us better local user experience throughout.

I expect that there should be things in the mozilla eco-system that just
call for sharing resources. The probably most relevant seems to be user
support to me, if one's browser fell on the floor, I doubt you really
care on whether the answer is in Argentinian or Spanish Spanish, as long
as you get it quickly. So SUMO sounds like one, and MDC, too.

Sharing resources on the code side is going to be a tad more tricky. Let
me propose something:

- First, we should find out the differences between the various
versions, as much as they impact the browser (or mail). If all
interested parties could start off with an in-depth review of the two
existing localizations es-AR and es-ES, and report findings that they'd
consider bugs just as well as an estimate on how different their variant
would be compared to one of the two, that'd be a great starting point.

- Secondly, some students at seneca picked up a project to work on an
architecture that would allow us to post-process one localization to
create another one. With the input from the first step, it'd be
interesting to see if that's a feasable solution for the Spanishs of the
World, or if that would only help us for all the places that use British
English.

I'd hope that we could then make a concrete plan on how to get the best
localizations of Firefox to Spanish-speaking users without wasting a lot
of resources, and without having to fix single bugs a dozen times for each.

What are your thoughts?

Axel