Source L10n for extensions (ChatZilla, venkman and others)

Robert Kaiser

Sep 8, 2007, 4:03:16 PM9/8/07
to rgi...@hacksrus.com, sil...@warwickcompsoc.co.uk, sam...@sieb.net, gijskru...@gmail.com, time...@mozdev.org, sha...@mozilla.org, bre...@mozilla.org
Hi,

[Posted to dev-l10n as well as ChatZilla and venkman groups and
owners/peers; please follow up to the dev-l10n group/list with
discussion, reactions and followups, so everyone affected can read all
of this discussion in one single place]

You might have seen my recent rush for ChatZilla and venkman source
L10n, and I admit I probably was too eager to get something going that I
stepped on a few people's toes. I want to start a discussion with this
post now to get this all solved the hopefully right way, with
participation of everyone directly affected by this.

I've been informed that what we need for any addition to the L10n CVS
mechanism is a proposal on what's expected to work, and what is not, and
who's expected to do what (Axel called that "concrete agreement" or
"concrete contract" in bug comments).
This means that everyone should know how it affects 'hourly' builds,
nightlies, release builds, and language packs and what release manager,
extension author, and localizers are supposed to do in the process for
the added locale strings of those extensions - in this case ChatZilla.
The contract/agreement should also tell what is supposed to turn the
build red, what turns the build green, when something gets shipped, when
not - everything one needs to know about how our processes will/do work.

I will NOT post this contract here because we obviously need the
extension author(s)/owner(s) to agree. I'm posting my intentions here
and a way how I propose we can move forward on this. This should be a
base for discussion, not something anyone reasonable has already agreed
with - just to make this clear from the beginning.

My main target here is to enable us to ship SeaMonkey 2 in a fully
localized fashion, including ChatZilla and possibly venkman, but not
force localizers to provide those extensions in their language.
As DOM inspector and reporter have other ways of providing L10n which
work in a way that we can ship in a way where a user get them to display
in their language, my planning has no priority for them but should
include figuring out a system that could be applied to them later
(possibly only after the 1.9 cycle that SeaMonkey 2 is based on).

So, the highest priority for me is to get localized SeaMonkey 2 (trunk)
working with optionally localized ChatZilla (and possibly venkman).
If it's easy and nice to do, we should figure out and possibly enable
some way of L10n for XPI packages for those extensions as well as
SeaMonkey builds created with --enable-ui-locale and langpacks.

Localized SeaMonkey 2 is created via repackaging, which takes an en-US
build and replaces its various localizable content with resources for a
different language. Unfortunately we don't have machines running yet
that would do this in an automated fashion, so my first attempt was for
getting --enable-ui-locale working and I figured out a way that would
make some kind of localized XPIs possible.
While the locations of the en-US and actual L10n files are the same for
all those ways of L10n, the Makefile and XPI creation changes might be
more or less different. In this way, my first take on this problem
probably wasn't ideal - but at least the locations of the ChatZilla
files in CVS are correct. So far, so good.
I'll probably work on getting one of my private trunk tinderboxen to run
that repackaging stuff so I can get some idea of what changes we need to
get this working correctly.

I don't know for sure yet, but what we might need there is to have
localizations for the extensions in different files from the extension,
or at least have the non-en-US localizations separately from the main
extension.
Interestingly, ChatZilla currently distributes separate language XPIs to
supplement their extension with add-on locales. They even invented a
locale versioning method to make sure users are having the correct
language pack. Gecko-1.9-based extension manager now can cope with that
itself due to supporting extension dependencies. And this process has
its L10n files separate from the extension itself, which is what
repackaging and even AUS2 might want or prefer to work correctly.

So, to me, it seems that the way to go for those extensions is something
Axel called "dependent langpacks" - which is more or less what ChatZilla
already uses, but with extension dependency added into it (which is
ignored on older applications, so ChatZilla langpacks can easily add
them and still be compatible with older apps).
What this means is that the original extension packages will probably
all include the en-US locale as previously, and additionally we'll have
every existing additional language as a separate extension (both in
SeaMonkey and as XPIs).

How does that idea/proposal sound?
Something you feel comfortable with having?
If not, what alternatives do you see?
What additional processes do we need to go with that?
How can we arrive on a contract/agreement like described in the first
section of this post, maybe based on this solution?

If we arrive at a point that extension owners/peers and L10n people feel
comfortable enough with, I'd be happy to spent some time looking into
how we can make it a reality and work on the needed changes to
Makefiles, etc. - but first, let's get to a point where we agree on how
to do it.
Sorry again for being to eager to get something done in my first
attempt. I felt I needed to get something moving before some doors might
close and we might not get a solution in the 1.9 cycle which we need for
SeaMonkey2 though. I hope we can now come to a solution that will work
for all of us and make our processes smoother all in all.

Robert Kaiser

Gijs Kruitbosch

Sep 9, 2007, 6:13:30 PM9/9/07
to rgi...@hacksrus.com, sil...@warwickcompsoc.co.uk, sam...@sieb.net, time...@mozdev.org, sha...@mozilla.org, bre...@mozilla.org
Hi all,

So, in response to KaiRo's proposals, there's been some discussion,
and it seems to me that for ChatZilla, the best option is what's
described below.

There are two different options to build ChatZilla. It can be built as
a normal extension .xpi file using a build script (makexpi.sh), and it
can be built as part of the SeaMonkey build process (using Makefiles
and all that).

With source l10n, when using makexpi.sh, I think the following should
happen: If you don't specify an AB_CD environment variable with a
language code, or this language code is en-US, it should build the
normal ChatZilla extension .xpi file, like the one you can currently
find on addons.mozilla.org . If you specify an AB_CD environment
variable with a different language code, it should build exactly the
same xpi, and additionally build a small additional xpi that contains
*solely* the localization in the language specified (so none of the
actual ChatZilla code). The installation manifest (install.rdf) in
this locale xpi would have the following properties:
- It should have its own, unique ID (different from that of ChatZilla
as well as the other localizations of ChatZilla).
- It should specify the localizers as the authors and/or contributors.
- It should work with any Firefox release as of version 1.0 (there is
an install.rdf present for such localization xpis in the current
ChatZilla codebase, so don't worry about having to figure this out -
just use the one we give you and you should be fine).
- It should also specify ChatZilla itself as a target app, so it can
be used as an extension localizing ChatZilla when it is a XULRunner
app. This is a matter of adding a few lines to the aforementioned
install.rdf file, and keeping an eye on the min/maxVersions when
ChatZilla updates.
- It *could* have a dependency relation set to the ChatZilla
extension, ensuring that extension updates and the like will go
smoothly - IF AND ONLY IF this does not break earlier versions of
Firefox (ie, 1.0, which didn't know about extension dependencies). It
seems that it doesn't break such versions, but it'd be nice to be
sure.

If you would build ChatZilla as part of SeaMonkey, I'm not really sure
what goes on in the deep bowels of the Mozilla build system. But, as
far as I can tell, this should still use approximately the same
process, in the sense that there is a separate "add-on" which contains
only the localization, and a separate GUID and authors/contributors.

Presumably, we would want to use the same strategy for Venkman
(obviously without the bit about adding a target for Venkman as a
standalone app, as this is pretty useless as it is).

We would like to hear what people think about this, especially if
there are any problems localizers or SeaMonkey people immediately spot
in this approach. If there are no such responses, we will attempt to
implement the above model and get back to you. :-)

Thanks,
Gijs
ChatZilla developer

Robert Kaiser

Sep 9, 2007, 7:15:10 PM9/9/07
Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
> So, in response to KaiRo's proposals, there's been some discussion,
> and it seems to me that for ChatZilla, the best option is what's
> described below.

From what I see, you, Axel and me seem to agree on the solution, which
is very nice to see :)

> - It *could* have a dependency relation set to the ChatZilla
> extension, ensuring that extension updates and the like will go
> smoothly - IF AND ONLY IF this does not break earlier versions of
> Firefox (ie, 1.0, which didn't know about extension dependencies). It
> seems that it doesn't break such versions, but it'd be nice to be
> sure.

I was assured by people who should know (Mossop) that it works this way.
But I agree with you on that we should test this (actually everything we
are doing here) before making an actual public release of that rework.

> If you would build ChatZilla as part of SeaMonkey, I'm not really sure
> what goes on in the deep bowels of the Mozilla build system. But, as
> far as I can tell, this should still use approximately the same
> process, in the sense that there is a separate "add-on" which contains
> only the localization, and a separate GUID and authors/contributors.

Right. Ideally, I'd like the build system to use/generate packages that
are the same as what is being released elsewhere.

Robert Kaiser

Rimas Kudelis

Sep 10, 2007, 7:08:50 AM9/10/07
As a localizer, I really like current process of localizing Firefox,
Thunderbird etc. By that, I mean that I like it when I supply a quality
translation, and don't have to worry about building the final app. The
fact that Seamonkey is being localized differently is IMO one of the
biggest reasons why there's no Lithuanian Seamonkey, for example.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that ChatZilla was going to follow the
same path, and have already uploaded some translated cz files to /l10n/lt/.

However, I really don't understand what the problem is in simply
packaging all available translations together with the extension, like
it is done with Lightning. Would anyone enlighten me on that?

Modularization is cool, of course, but I'm afraid that in this case
being too modular will only create useless trouble for the users - now
they will not only have to download the extension, but also find a
language pack for it?

I think this should be addressed somehow. Perhaps packaging ChatZilla as
a multi-xpi (like is done with Lightning-WCAP now), and only installing
certain localizations (or simply allowing to uninstall unwanted ones)
would do?

RQ

Gijs Kruitbosch

Sep 10, 2007, 11:30:08 AM9/10/07
to Robert Kaiser
Robert Kaiser wrote:

> Rimas Kudelis wrote:
>> However, I really don't understand what the problem is in simply
>> packaging all available translations together with the extension, like
>> it is done with Lightning. Would anyone enlighten me on that?
>
> It just gets _very_ huge if you have a bigger number of localizations.
> Lightning or DOMI could be sooo much smaller in download if they would
> not need to do that.
>
> And actually, I don't want to take the penalty of shipping every
> available localizations to all users of SeaMonkey 2, as we already have
> enough people complaining about the size of SeaMonkey 1.1.x as-is.
> My primary concern is still the suite, but I think it would be good to
> be using more or less the same solution for both the in-suite extensions
> and the separate XPIs.
>
> Perhaps we can find a solution of installing both an extension and its
> fitting language pack at once through AMO - I think that would be the
> nicest solution.
>
> Robert Kaiser

"What he said."

The trade-off for adding all these localization is not trivial - for
ChatZilla's jar file, the en-US locale is about 10-15% of the total
jarfile. Which means if you add 10 or so locales, half the jar (and
hence xpi) is localizations (90% of which the user will not need).
That's not really reasonable.

Only installing some of them from one single download is not possible at
this time, to my knowledge. While you can put multiple add-ons in one
xpi, I don't think that the current add-ons UI lets you pick which of
those you want to install, so doing that would not solve our problem. It
is probably too late in the game for the 1.9 cycle to add UI for that.
And besides, in those cases we would still need the separate
l10n-specific xpi files which were proposed in my earlier post (so your
idea could be a later addition to this).

As far as AMO is concerned - if we could find a solution for that stuff,
that'd be great. I'm not sure how easy it would be - you would have to
ask the AMO folks.

~ Gijs

Benjamin Smedberg

Sep 10, 2007, 11:40:52 AM9/10/07
Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:

>> Perhaps we can find a solution of installing both an extension and its
>> fitting language pack at once through AMO - I think that would be the
>> nicest solution.

This is doable. The extension manager already supports "multi-item packages"
where multiple extensions are bundled into a single XPI. Really all we need
at that point is to have AMO generate a multi-item package of CZ-core plus
the relevant CZ-langpack.

--BDS

Robert Kaiser

Sep 10, 2007, 12:28:36 PM9/10/07

That really sounds good - and the good thing is that AMO is not bound by
1.9 build cycle freezes :)

As CZ still supports a range of older apps as hosts, we just need to
care who does understand that concept and who doesn't, but that can
probably be done on the AMO side of the medal.

Robert Kaiser

Rimas Kudelis

Sep 11, 2007, 12:47:47 AM9/11/07
Gijs Kruitbosch rašė:

> The trade-off for adding all these localization is not trivial - for
> ChatZilla's jar file, the en-US locale is about 10-15% of the total
> jarfile. Which means if you add 10 or so locales, half the jar (and
> hence xpi) is localizations (90% of which the user will not need).
> That's not really reasonable.

First, I was talking about standalone extension here. With SeaMonkey
it's easier, as you know a priori which locale the user wants to use for
Cz when he downloads SM. So, for the SM case, I think it's absolutely OK
to only include one locale.

> Only installing some of them from one single download is not possible at
> this time, to my knowledge. While you can put multiple add-ons in one
> xpi, I don't think that the current add-ons UI lets you pick which of
> those you want to install, so doing that would not solve our problem. It
> is probably too late in the game for the 1.9 cycle to add UI for that.

Is it?

> And besides, in those cases we would still need the separate
> l10n-specific xpi files which were proposed in my earlier post (so your
> idea could be a later addition to this).

Yes. What I'm concerned about is not the way extensions are packaged,
but rather the way they are distributed. I believe that the less
seeking/reading the user has to do to download what he wants, the better.

> As far as AMO is concerned - if we could find a solution for that stuff,
> that'd be great. I'm not sure how easy it would be - you would have to
> ask the AMO folks.

One thing that I'm not sure about is how AMO would find out which locale
I actually want. Will it ask me, or will it make some decisions based on
my IP or my UA language, or what?

RQ

Simon Paquet

Sep 11, 2007, 2:56:31 AM9/11/07
Robert Kaiser wrote on 10. Sep 2007:

Sorry for messing up the threading and replying to Gijs's posting. I
just can't reply to your original post via my web-newsreader.

>>> However, I really don't understand what the problem is in simply
>>> packaging all available translations together with the extension,
>>> like it is done with Lightning. Would anyone enlighten me on that?
>>
>> It just gets _very_ huge if you have a bigger number of
>> localizations. Lightning or DOMI could be sooo much smaller
>> in download if they would not need to do that.
>>
>> And actually, I don't want to take the penalty of shipping every
>> available localizations to all users of SeaMonkey 2, as we already
>> have enough people complaining about the size of SeaMonkey 1.1.x
>> as-is. My primary concern is still the suite, but I think it would
>> be good to be using more or less the same solution for both the
>> in-suite extensions and the separate XPIs.

You're mixing two things together that really have nothing to do with
each other, Robert.

First, it is true that the Lightning XPIs get bigger with the current
approach of the Calendar Project. They grow from 1 MB (en-US only) to
2 MB (with 22 additional languages).

But second, this does in no way relate to the standalone product
(Sunbird is ours, SeaMonkey is yours). This can just be built with
one language and therefore will take no size penalty at all.

Personally I would really like to see, that our build system is
enhanced to produce localized extensions. That would make our job of
producing release builds for Lightning much easier.

Cya
Simon

--
Calendar l10n coordinator
Calendar Website Maintainer: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar

Axel Hecht

Sep 11, 2007, 6:23:01 AM9/11/07

Or we make AMO create multi-item install links, InstallTrigger to the
victory. (Can I run, pretty please? I know I said the xpevil word.)
Which would need to be tested, I don't know how that mixes with
dependencies.

Of course, on top of that, the actual discovery and exposure of
localizations of extensions could use some improvement.

Axel

Gijs Kruitbosch

Sep 11, 2007, 6:32:25 AM9/11/07
to Axel Hecht

Yeah. Apparently I didn't respond to Benjamin's point - I'm very much
aware there are various technical solutions for presenting a locale
extension along with the extension itself - but the real problem, as far
as I'm concerned, is if/how AMO is going to find these add-ons.

~ Gijs

Axel Hecht

Sep 11, 2007, 6:57:44 AM9/11/07
<...>, zip, basically, yes.

Let's make a post on which contracts we currently have. I might be
biased (I am), but I'm missing some release-management parts in the
discussion so far.

With domi and reporter, we currently expose the "contract" via client.mk.

reporter is in LOCALES_browser, and it's not optional.

domi is not in LOCALES_browser, and it's so optional it hurts.

What do these contracts fix? Here are the questions that I can answer,
or make up answers for, depending on client.mk:

- Does this thing need to get localized?
- Who's responsible for bustages?
- Who's responsible for QA?
- Who's responsible for sign-off for shipping?

REPORTER-style contract

reporter is not really an extension in its own right anyway, we really
just use it as an optional package. Thus it's not that bad that the
extensions contract ID isn't perfect.
reporter is part of Firefox, and it's up to the localizer to make sure
it works in her or his localization. The localizer needs to fix the
bustages, needs to organize QA, and signs-off on the localization for
release as part of the sign-off process for the complete localization.

DOMI-style contract

DOMI lives as a regular extension, built as shipped as one big blob. For
the most part, it's up to the DOMI owners to make sure that that
extension doesn't bust Firefox. Localizers sign off on their
localization at the time they make a change and request to be added
back. Not shipping a DOMI localization at release time requires an
explicit action to pull a localization, whereas in the reporter-style,
the localization would just not have been added to the shipped-locales file.

One question that we could ask in addition would be:

- When is a localization built?

Like, we could only start to build localizations of an extension after
it is frozen. That would take out the part of "oh, you changed
something, and now the localization needs to... what?" We'd basically
would move, in firefox-speak, move from cvs to shipped-locales, without
bothering about all-locales at any point in time.
That would require a way for localizers to locally test, though, and to
check if something has a bustage.

These are my experiences and thoughts from a more release- and
process-driven perspective.

Axel

Robert Kaiser

Sep 11, 2007, 9:56:04 AM9/11/07
Axel Hecht wrote:
> <...>, zip, basically, yes.
>
> Let's make a post on which contracts we currently have. I might be
> biased (I am), but I'm missing some release-management parts in the
> discussion so far.

Thanks for bringing those in, I left those out at first because I
thought they probably depend on what the technical solution is - and we
need the module owners in this.

What I'd like to have for SeaMonkey is the following:

> - Does this thing need to get localized?

No, it should be optional.

> - Who's responsible for bustages?
> - Who's responsible for QA?
> - Who's responsible for sign-off for shipping?

Once a localizers opts into doing it and has a first working L10n, I'd
like to hand him over the full responsibility on all of those and the
L10n of the extension will be treated like it was non-optional and a
part of the SeaMonkey L10n for this language. Upon request of the
SeaMonkey L10n owner or the extension L10n owner, the L10n of the
extension can be excluded from builds again.
Sign-off for shipping should be done for full SeaMonkey, which makes it
the responsibility of the SeaMonkey localizer if it's included. I only
want to have one person to talk to when it comes to shipping a SeaMonkey
release. Upon the responsibility of this person, we'd also be able to
exclude the extension L10n from the release for bustage or bad quality.
That's probably also what I had in mind when creating that all-locales
file for ChatZilla.

For shipping the external add-on XPIs, I think the extension owner/peers
need to tell what they have in mind here, the SeaMonkey team of course
can't force a process on them.

So, to take your terms, I basically like to have a reporter-style
contract for the SeaMonkey case with a mechanism for making the
localization of the extension optional and handle it as an extension in
this way.
This is only one side of the medal though, as extension owners want to
independently ship their add-on in different ways, so we need their side
as well and formulate it into a common contract, even if that one might
be two-fold.

Robert Kaiser

Axel Hecht

Sep 11, 2007, 10:20:16 AM9/11/07

I'm not sure if this is right, but let's assume for the moment that it is.

extensions/irc would thus not be part of LOCALES_suite, and localizers
that do want to localize chatzilla had to use MOZ_CO_MODULES to get it?

There would be joint deal between suite/locales/shipped-locales and
extensions/irc/locales/all-locales, too, to formulate the shipping of,
say, chatzilla-ab-CD.jar?

Axel

Robert Kaiser

Sep 11, 2007, 10:54:22 AM9/11/07
Axel Hecht wrote:
> extensions/irc would thus not be part of LOCALES_suite, and localizers
> that do want to localize chatzilla had to use MOZ_CO_MODULES to get it?

It seems that both currently available options might not be what I
really want to have there :(

> There would be joint deal between suite/locales/shipped-locales and
> extensions/irc/locales/all-locales, too, to formulate the shipping of,
> say, chatzilla-ab-CD.jar?

Possibly. But I haven't even figured out the shipped-locales stuff yet
though... I guess anything present in shipped-locales has to be in the
parallel all-locales anyways, right?

Robert Kaiser

Benjamin Smedberg

Sep 11, 2007, 10:54:46 AM9/11/07
Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:

> Yeah. Apparently I didn't respond to Benjamin's point - I'm very much
> aware there are various technical solutions for presenting a locale
> extension along with the extension itself - but the real problem, as far
> as I'm concerned, is if/how AMO is going to find these add-ons.

Which add-ons? Extension locale packs are not regular extensions that you
would browse for apart from the extension their localizing... they would be
tightly associated in the database.

--BDS

Gijs Kruitbosch

Sep 11, 2007, 6:22:56 PM9/11/07
to Benjamin Smedberg

Right, but that'd take considerable effort on the AMO part of things, on
something which we're just now cooking up as some kind of "standard" or
whatever you want to call it. (in fact, I'm positive 'standard' is not
the right name, but it's past midnight and my brain is like mashed
potatoes at the moment... sorry about that)

I don't think this will be done by the time Fx 3 releases, for instance
- and possibly not even when SeaMonkey 2 releases. Heck, I'm not even
sure the AMO people would be willing to add all this complexity at all.

And then, I'm not saying that is a Huge Problem (tm), I'm just being
cautious in promising this nice storyline about AMO magically finding
the right bits for you, because I have no clue on AMO's
readiness/willingness/suitableness to actually do this. Maybe they're
wildly enthousiastic about it and it will get implemented within the
next week, maybe they'll stamp the bug as WONTFIX as soon as it gets
filed, maybe it'll grow to be one of those bugs which sits around for
several years before anything substantial happens. I don't want to give
false promises.

~ Gijs

Robert Kaiser

Sep 11, 2007, 9:38:51 PM9/11/07
Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:

> Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
>> Which add-ons? Extension locale packs are not regular extensions that you
>> would browse for apart from the extension their localizing... they
>> would be
>> tightly associated in the database.
>
> Right, but that'd take considerable effort on the AMO part of things, on
> something which we're just now cooking up as some kind of "standard" or
> whatever you want to call it.

True that it will take some effort for AMO, but you should be aware that
this is actually not a completely new thing we're cooking up, Benjamin
and others had envisioned such a system for some time, that's one reason
why we have those extension dependencies and extension locale packs
already supported in Toolkit 1.9 EM.
Oh, and how do you know that AMO is not going to take the effort of
supporting this?

> I don't think this will be done by the time Fx 3 releases

I think it actually could be done, but we'd need AMO people to tell if
and how it can, it's wron for us to assume they will or will not.
The good thing is that AMO is not bound to Firefox feature and string
freezes in the way the Gecko core is, so they can still work on this
right up until the last week or so before Firefox 3 and even after that
(though I guess for a short time right around the release they will be
overloaded with traffic and don't want additional risk).

Anyways, I think we need to actually have something available they can
use for testing the new feature if we want them to implement it.

Robert Kaiser

Gijs Kruitbosch

Sep 12, 2007, 1:42:20 AM9/12/07
to Robert Kaiser
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
>> Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
>>> Which add-ons? Extension locale packs are not regular extensions that
>>> you
>>> would browse for apart from the extension their localizing... they
>>> would be
>>> tightly associated in the database.
>>
>> Right, but that'd take considerable effort on the AMO part of things,
>> on something which we're just now cooking up as some kind of
>> "standard" or whatever you want to call it.
>
> True that it will take some effort for AMO, but you should be aware that
> this is actually not a completely new thing we're cooking up, Benjamin
> and others had envisioned such a system for some time, that's one reason
> why we have those extension dependencies and extension locale packs
> already supported in Toolkit 1.9 EM.
> Oh, and how do you know that AMO is not going to take the effort of
> supporting this?

I don't. In the part of my post you snipped out I literally said that I
have no clue about this, and simply don't want to make false promises.

~ Gijs

Robert Kaiser

Sep 23, 2007, 9:33:39 AM9/23/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> So, to me, it seems that the way to go for those extensions is something
> Axel called "dependent langpacks" - which is more or less what ChatZilla
> already uses, but with extension dependency added into it (which is
> ignored on older applications, so ChatZilla langpacks can easily add
> them and still be compatible with older apps).
> What this means is that the original extension packages will probably
> all include the en-US locale as previously, and additionally we'll have
> every existing additional language as a separate extension (both in
> SeaMonkey and as XPIs).

As it looks to me that there is basic agreement on this as the technical
solution, I filed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=397246 to
work on this for ChatZilla.
I already have some work in progress lying around on my disk for the
SeaMonkey repackaging case, but I consider this quite experimental for
the moment (and of course this depends on ChatZilla being packaged as an
extension within SeaMonkey, which is a different bug).

This does not mean that this is set in stone - I can't decide that - but
it's the way I'd like to go for SeaMonkey. I consider what I'm doing
with this now some kind of experiment on how this can work, and there
are still some things I need to figure out.
I think we can arrive at a good solution with this though.

Robert Kaiser

Robert Kaiser

Sep 23, 2007, 9:34:50 AM9/23/07
Simon Paquet wrote:
> Personally I would really like to see, that our build system is
> enhanced to produce localized extensions. That would make our job of
> producing release builds for Lightning much easier.

Well, that's why I implemented for ChatZilla and what others heavily
disagreed with, actually.

Robert Kaiser

Robert Kaiser

Sep 23, 2007, 9:39:20 AM9/23/07
Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> Gijs Kruitbosch rašė:

>> As far as AMO is concerned - if we could find a solution for that stuff,
>> that'd be great. I'm not sure how easy it would be - you would have to
>> ask the AMO folks.
>
> One thing that I'm not sure about is how AMO would find out which locale
> I actually want. Will it ask me, or will it make some decisions based on
> my IP or my UA language, or what?

That's something to figure out on the AMO side. I'm quite sure AMO will
not add support for all this as long as there is no demand for it, i.e.
no extension using langpacks requesting those to be better supported by AMO.

IMHO, ChatZilla is a very good test case for AMO implementing that
feature that could be of good use for many others, so I'd like to go
forward with trying to get the technical solution in a working state.

Robert Kaiser

Robert Kaiser

Sep 23, 2007, 9:44:55 AM9/23/07
Axel Hecht wrote:
> With domi and reporter, we currently expose the "contract" via client.mk.

I think expressing a "contract" with localizers and release managers
through a collection of obscure Makefiles (you need to take the
repackaging and other affected Makefiles into account as well) is no
good solution, if a solution at all.

If we have a contract, it needs to be written in clear
understandable-for-all language somewhere, and the Makefiles then merely
need to implement the technical aspect of that contract. If we don't
have it this way, I'd go as far as to say there is no real contract or
clear set of rules.

I'm all for having such an agreement, but in some place that is readable
by someone who's not a build system specialist.

Robert Kaiser

Axel Hecht

Sep 26, 2007, 10:42:06 AM9/26/07

Did anyone actually test that this scheme works? Like, other than in
theory? In all releases/branches/apps that are wanted? This is really
only a build problem at the very end.

I haven't seen a real commitment from the chatzilla devs on this scheme,
either, so I'm unclear on who's owning chatzilla l10n.

Axel

Gijs Kruitbosch

Sep 26, 2007, 12:02:50 PM9/26/07
to Axel Hecht
As outlined in my original reply, the idea of language packs for
extensions has already been used with ChatZilla for quite some time now.
It has worked fine, I don't see any reason why it should stop working.

> I haven't seen a real commitment from the chatzilla devs on this scheme,
> either, so I'm unclear on who's owning chatzilla l10n.

If you mean the language pack extension scheme, see above. If you mean
the way we interact with localizers, that's a different matter.

Up to today, all we did was ship ChatZilla in en-US. If people told us
they had locale packages, we linked them from the homepage. That's about
it. I personally don't think we want a formal "chatzilla l10n" owner or
process at all (but I haven't discussed this with the other devs). What
the localization teams do is their business as far as ChatZilla is
concerned, and we will be happy to link to them and/or ask AMO to link
them from the ChatZilla addon page. We've never had a formal release
process or dates, and I don't see that changing either, which means a
locale freeze or something to that effect would only delay the release
for en-US users, which I don't think is worth it. Toolkit's extension
manager should be smart enough to warn users when you update an
extension that it'll break dependent extensions, and if it doesn't do
that our own code will yell at the user about what happened, and they
should be able to correct it.

What the SeaMonkey L10N people do is up to them. We stop touching
ChatZilla on SeaMonkey immediately after the first release, unless there
are security issues that need to be addressed. We would probably deal
with l10n freezes on seamonkey's side easily as we don't really check in
stuff every day or whatever...

~ Gijs

Robert Kaiser

Sep 26, 2007, 12:02:43 PM9/26/07
Axel Hecht wrote:
> Did anyone actually test that this scheme works? Like, other than in
> theory? In all releases/branches/apps that are wanted? This is really
> only a build problem at the very end.

Well, ChatZilla already has that scheme working (e.g. I only more or
less copied and updated the install.rdf they are already using for their
ChatZilla langpacks, but I only saw French and Russian as actually
using/announcing those on their ChatZilla pages linked from
<http://chatzilla.hacksrus.com/>).

The only element that is new for those is the <em:requires> which Mossop
assures me is definitely just ignored on app versions that don't support it.

And for the case that is the most interesting to me, which is SeaMonkey
trunk, I have tested this repackaging process on Linux at least and know
that it works. Of course, Windows installer needs some more more, I need
to figure this out with our installer specialist, but I think I see a
way to do it.

> I haven't seen a real commitment from the chatzilla devs on this scheme,
> either, so I'm unclear on who's owning chatzilla l10n.

Gijs just told me he's posting in parallel, I guess he can say something
about that :)

Robert Kaiser

Robert Kaiser

Sep 26, 2007, 12:09:48 PM9/26/07
Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
> What the SeaMonkey L10N people do is up to them. We stop touching
> ChatZilla on SeaMonkey immediately after the first release, unless there
> are security issues that need to be addressed. We would probably deal
> with l10n freezes on seamonkey's side easily as we don't really check in
> stuff every day or whatever...

Yes, we're happy to manage that from the SeaMonkey side, as long as we
are allowed to mess with the all-locales file to adjust it to satisfy
localizers' requests :)

Robert Kaiser

Axel Hecht

Sep 27, 2007, 7:14:48 AM9/27/07

This is a recipe for disaster. If the chatzilla folks don't want a
localization process, we shouldn't do one.

I don't see a compelling story here to request AMO resources for this,
too. I could, but there had to be a better plan.

Regarding the "it should just work", that's untested. In particular
things like installing the dependent language pack together with the
chatzilla add-on, i.e., the blocking add-on isn't active yet. Doing
multi-item install triggers, too.

The various update paths are untested, too, I think.

Really, we shouldn't invest a lot (and I won't) until we have all this
actually tested, as I'm not sure if we'd get bugs fixed, if we find
some. In particular not if there's no backup from the extension
community to actually fix something.

Axel