MDN l10n status update and localization process

Jay Patel

Dec 3, 2010, 7:27:32 PM12/3/10
to Mozilla projects web content localization, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello fellow localizers!

First, I wanted to let you know that a bug from the 11/17 update MDN
that led to 404s for some locales has been fixed... you should all be
able to see your original Deki "home" pages (eg.
https://developer.mozilla.org/ja). We apologize for any inconvenience
this may have caused, we did not intend to break those pages. :-)

Now, on to the good stuff:

As some of you know, we have been busy with updating the MDN website.
We now have a new set of pages that have been live in en-US for a couple
of months and we recently tested localization in German. As we
finalize the strings and get Verbatim ready for the community, I wanted
to provide everyone with an update on where we are now, the decisions
you and your community will have to make, and the upcoming localization
effort we can use your help with.

Until recently, MDC at http://developer.mozilla.org was 100% built on
Dekiwiki. However, we have built a new front-end in Django as a first
step towards our transition to a new Django-based wiki and forums that
will be based on the Kitsune project (SUMO).

While we are still planning out the wiki and forums development and will
definitely be in touch with you to review the requirements and discuss
the proposal you have shared with us (See
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.mdc/browse_thread/thread/2db5c57cb6629b64?pli=1
for an overview of the proposal from himorin, potappo and benoit). That
will most likely be in early 2011, so be ready!

However, we are now ready to transition the localization community to
our new MDN home page (if you choose to) and ask that you help us
translate the new landing pages for Web, Mobile, Add-ons, Mozilla and
Doc Center. For these new pages, we have defined the overall layout,
copy and links and you will be able to translate the copy and update the
links to fit your locale... but you will not be able to add/change any
content. Therefore we wanted to provide each locale with a choice:

Choice 1: Localize the new MDN home page
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/) and point your
http://developer.mozilla.org/<locale> URL to this new page. This will
mean that you will not longer be able to access your old Deki home page,
but you are welcome to move it to somewhere else and update your
links/references to that content if needed. If you decide to preserve
the old Deki home page in a different location, please let us know so we
can coordinate a consistent path for all locales that wish to do that.

Choice 2: Do not localize the new MDN home page and keep your old Deki
home page (eg. https://developer.mozilla.org/ja) so that all traffic to
the MDN home for your locale will see the Deki home page instead of the
new MDN home page.

Whichever you choose, we still ask that you localize the following pages:

Web: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/web
Mobile: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile
Add-ons: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/addons
Mozilla: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/mozilla
Doc Center: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs

Unfortunately, we do not have plans to localize the MDN Forums at this
time... but we will look into localization for the new Django-based
forums in the future.

Also, we are working on a single sign-on solution (SSO) for MDN and will
need you to localize the registration and login pages when they are
ready. We currently are scheduled to release MDN 0.9.3 with the SSO in
early 2011 and will let you know as soon as the strings are frozen and
ready for localization. So look forward to hearing from me again soon.

Fred Wenzel will follow up this message with more details on how your
localization teams can get started on the new MDN pages mentioned
above. Thanks!
- Jay

german pages - add urls into the strings so they can localize labels and
urls

wrap them in gettext tags.

phpbb - not localized (for now)
django - localized app (everyone has the same content)
deki - total flexibility but bad layout

--------------------------------

talk with l10n community about why things are the way they are.
- english locale and engagement to define what to focus on...
- or each locale defines with extra resources
- separate django app for each locale

what are the reason they might want to control the creative and links, etc.

how happy are they are with the localization?
- get 100% localized and have the community QA; get sign-off once they
approve it
- some locales we might not get participation, so make sure it's safe to
push with partial localization
- engage them on a feature by feature basis (tell them about single-signon)
- once we have final copy, file an l10n bug and get them to localize SSO

who wants to localize the MDN home page and landing pages?
svn or verbatim?

----------------------------------

Jay Patel

Dec 3, 2010, 7:32:21 PM12/3/10
to Mozilla projects web content localization, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey everyone...

Sorry, I included some notes in my message... please feel free to ignore
them. ;-) Most of the notes are reflected in my email... and Fred's
email will explain the SVN/Verbatim stuff.

Thanks for all of your patience with MDN... we are finally making
progress and cannot wait to work with the l10n community to make sure
the new wiki is built with all of you in mind.

Have a great weekend everyone.
- Jay

Axel Hecht

Dec 5, 2010, 7:37:59 AM12/5/10
I just wanted to jump in here and wet your appetite on the kitsune wiki
l10n piece. Kadir ran a workshop here at the Balkans event and the
feedback from the communities here was really positive, compared to the
previous tiki experience (not comparing to deki).

Axel

potappo

Feb 28, 2011, 4:42:04 PM2/28/11
to Mozilla projects web content localization, Frederic Wenzel, Jay Patel
Hi,

When MDN Demo Studio launches, do MDN other pages l10n apply?

If so, Japanese localize 100 % MDN, but keep old Deki home.
# Choice 2: Do not localize the new MDN home page and keep your old Deki home

Apply the following other pages l10n, OK;

Regards.

2010/12/4 Jay Patel <j...@mozilla.com>:

potappo
MDC Japanese Translation Leader