Help us create a cool video for the Firefox 3.5 launch

afra...@mozilla.com

Apr 17, 2009, 7:49:24 PM4/17/09
Hi everyone,

I'm working on creating a short video to showcase Open Video for the
Firefox 3.5 launch and I would love your help!

The idea is to create a 30 second clip for the First Run and What's
New pages. It will show Mozilla community members from around the
world thanking people for downloading Firefox (in their own
language).

We went around the office to tape a "demo" of it so you can get an
idea of what we'll be creating, you can check it out here
http://people.mozilla.com/~afranquet/thankyou/MozThankYoudemo.ogg

If you can participate, please email me at alix at mozilla dot com and
I'll help you figure out how to get started. If you don't have
recording equipment we might still be able to find a way for you to
submit something, so don't be shy!

Please let me know by Tuesday April 21st if you are interested in
participating.

Thanks for your help!

-alix

Julen

Apr 18, 2009, 7:43:11 AM4/18/09
to dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org

Hi Alix,

First of all, thank you for taking into account our work and giving us
this opportunity to say Firefox users 'thank you'.

As I am a member of a small locale (in terms of users) I have some comments:

Firefox has near 70 localizations, and the video has to be around 30
seconds so in a situation where each locale wants to take part in the
video, it gives us less than a second per person. Not ideal.

I can't guess how many people would like to take part here, and I
think you probably want to have all the major locales present in the
video (en-*, de, fr, es-*, pl, it, ja-*, zh-*, ...).

But I wonder if you will be selecting people based on the number of
speakers, Firefox download numbers, Firefox usage rate, randomly, or
you'll be just accepting as many different languages as possible.

Thanks again,
Julen.

Ehsan Akhgari

Apr 18, 2009, 12:06:44 PM4/18/09
to Mozilla projects web content localization
I guess we wouldn't need people with languages that are already spoken
on the demo? (Talking about Persian, BTW it was wonderful to see that
it's been included in the demo video!) :-)

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

Pascal Chevrel

Apr 18, 2009, 4:02:15 PM4/18/09
Le 18.04.2009 18:06, Ehsan Akhgari a écrit :
> I guess we wouldn't need people with languages that are already spoken
> on the demo? (Talking about Persian, BTW it was wonderful to see that
> it's been included in the demo video!) :-)
>
> --
> Ehsan
> <http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

I guesss that out of all the small videos Alix will receive, the
languages chosen will not be because they are from top locales but based
on the quality of video and how good and convincing the person is in
front of the camera :)

Pascal

Mic

Apr 19, 2009, 5:19:43 PM4/19/09

i don't know if this is a good idea, or how feasible it is but what
about getting every locale (that can) to say one word in common e.g.,
Firefox or Thank you (in their own language) or some such and then it
could be used as part of a merge video like they do in music videos
(the only one that comes to mind as an example is the Michael Jackson
video that first used this technique)
just a thought
anyway it sounds like a great idea Alix and I hope you get lots of
good content

best to everyone
mic

Ehsan Akhgari

Apr 20, 2009, 7:36:20 AM4/20/09
to Mozilla projects web content localization

I guess my question was more along the lines of: do locales which
already appear in the demo video need to volunteer as well?

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

afra...@mozilla.com

Apr 20, 2009, 2:15:14 PM4/20/09
On Apr 18, 4:43 am, Julen <jul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But I wonder if you will be selecting people based on the number of
> speakers, Firefox download numbers, Firefox usage rate, randomly, or
> you'll be just accepting as many different languages as possible.

Hi Julen

To clarify, we'll be accepting as many as possible, and the selection
for the 30 second video will be partly based on quality (remember the
goal is to showcase open video as well!) and also what blends in well
with the other videos. I definitely intend to showcase all videos in a
longer clip, if we receive more clips than will fit in 30 seconds.

I've already received a few emails from communities interested in
participating, and I still hope to get more in the next few days so
please email me and I'll give you more details about the plan.

Thanks!

alix

afra...@mozilla.com

Apr 20, 2009, 2:17:22 PM4/20/09
On Apr 20, 4:36 am, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess my question was more along the lines of: do locales which
> already appear in the demo video need to volunteer as well?

Hi Ehsan,

yes, we welcome all locales! The ones that appear in the video are
there because it's a sample of the languages that people in the
Mountain View office speak. The final video won't have any of those
clips so definitely contact me if you're interested in the project,
regardless of what's in the demo.

alix

afra...@mozilla.com

Apr 20, 2009, 2:21:50 PM4/20/09
On Apr 19, 2:19 pm, Mic <michalmber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i don't know if this is a good idea, or how feasible it is but what
> about getting every locale (that can) to say one word in common e.g.,
> Firefox or Thank you (in their own language) or some such and then it
> could be used as part of a merge video like they do in music videos
> (the only one that comes to mind as an example is the Michael Jackson
> video that first used this technique)
> just a thought
> anyway it sounds like a great idea Alix and I hope you get lots of
> good content

Hi Mic,

Since it's the first time we try it, we're waiting to see what we get
before deciding on the final look of the video. Ideally it will be
similar to the demo, but your idea of merging them is interesting
too!

By the way, if I get many volunteers for video projects, just know
that I have a big list of other fun clips we could all create together
after this one :-)

alix

afra...@mozilla.com

Apr 20, 2009, 5:18:54 PM4/20/09
On Apr 18, 1:02 pm, Pascal Chevrel <pascal.chev...@free.fr> wrote:
> I guesss that out of all the small videos Alix will receive, the
> languages chosen will not be because they are from top locales but based
> on the quality of video and how good and convincing the person is in
> front of the camera :)

Absolutely, we're even providing a quick tutorial to help you make
your next video. It goes over some of the basics like lighting and
sound. You can see it here right now, but it will eventually live on
the community marketing guide (http://contribute.mozilla.org/
Marketing) and Sfx:

http://people.mozilla.com/~afranquet/thankyou/MozVideoTutorial.ogg
http://people.mozilla.com/~afranquet/thankyou/MozVideoTutorial.mp4

(we're working on fixing the delay between audio and video in the ogg
version)

alix