Important message for people using ActiveSync (esp Gmail)

Jim Porter

Nov 14, 2012, 9:19:04 PM11/14/12
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
Short version: Gmail uses IMAP in the email app now. If you have a Gmail
account set up, please delete and recreate it once you're on an
up-to-date Gaia build.

Longer version: As of today, the Gaia email app has some big changes for
ActiveSync accounts. Most notably, Gmail no longer uses ActiveSync at
all. We've switched Gmail over to IMAP, which should result in a greatly
improved experience for Gmail users (Gmail's ActiveSync support is
pretty spotty). If you're a Gmail user, please delete your account and
start fresh with a new Gmail account. This will get you onto the IMAP
version, which will help us find any bugs with Gmail/IMAP.

For other ActiveSync users, e.g. Hotmail and Exchange, we've also added
support for automatically determining a good date range for your
folders. By default, we try get roughly 50 messages for each folder. If
you get a lot of messages per day, this means that performance should be
improved, since we'll only get today's messages for you. If you don't
get many messages per day, this means that you'll have access to more
messages by default, since we'll extend the date range.

If you have any questions, or would like more backstory on this change,
just let me know.

- Jim