Firefox Extension Uninstall - and Mozilla

Tom

Oct 27, 2006, 2:32:48 PM10/27/06
Hi Everybody,

I am creating an extension where there must be a menu item to uninstall the
extension. In other words, besides the normal extension uninstall, there
needs to be an additional menu item to uninstall the extension. What is the
recommended way to programmatically uninstall the extension within Firefox?

Additionally this extension will have to work in the Mozilla browser also.
What is the recommended method to uninstall extensions programmatically in
Mozilla?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom -

Eric H. Jung

Oct 27, 2006, 2:59:26 PM10/27/06
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
For Firefox, use

http://www.xulplanet.com/references/xpcomref/ifaces/nsIExtensionManager.html

Hi Everybody,

Thanks,

Tom -

Eric H. Jung

Oct 27, 2006, 3:01:20 PM10/27/06
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
Oops. Hit send too early.
For Firefox, use nsIExtensionManager.uninstallItem(). See:
http://www.xulplanet.com/references/xpcomref/ifaces/nsIExtensionManager.html
Mozilla will be much more difficult as there's no EM. Not sure how you can do it programmatically without invoking an install script (deleting the extension's directories may/may not work--maybe someone else can comment?)

Tom

Oct 30, 2006, 9:01:57 AM10/30/06
Thanks Eric!

I wrote an extension Uninstall for Mozilla a couple years and it was very
difficult and it involved modifying files and all sorts of stuff. I was
hoping someone would have come up with an easier solution by now.

"Eric H. Jung" <eric...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Eric H. Jung

Oct 30, 2006, 4:01:20 PM10/30/06
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org, phili...@gmail.com
There probably is an easier solution in the successor to the Mozilla Suite, SeaMonkey. Phil is a SeaMonkey guru so I've cc'd him. Phil, does SeaMonkey include the Extension Manager or similar component(s) for friendly extension uninstallation?

Philip Chee

Oct 30, 2006, 7:54:47 PM10/30/06
On 31/10/2006 05:01, Eric H. Jung wrote:
> From: Tom <t...@gigasoftdevelopment.com>

>> I wrote an extension Uninstall for Mozilla a couple years and it was
>> very difficult and it involved modifying files and all sorts of
>> stuff. I was hoping someone would have come up with an easier
>> solution by now.

> There probably is an easier solution in the successor to the Mozilla

> Suite, SeaMonkey. Phil is a SeaMonkey guru so I've cc'd him. Phil,
> does SeaMonkey include the Extension Manager or similar component(s)
> for friendly extension uninstallation?

Not in current releases. Experimental SuiteRunner builds have the
Firefox 2.0 AddonManager. The SeaMonkey Council plan that the release
after 1.1 will be a fully toolkitized SuiteRunner.

Currently I use the Chrome Manager from the Mnenhy extension to
uninstall extensions. Unfortunately SeaMonkey extensions can leave bits
of them selves any and everywhere so sometimes I have to go hunt down
and delete leftovers - but that's just me being fussy.

Phil
--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>
[ ](A)bort (R)etry (K)ill innocent bystanders