logging when a user visits a site

1 view

Benji8605

Nov 17, 2006, 10:04:35 AM11/17/06
Does anyone no of, or now if its possible to create a firefox extension
which logs (somewhere in firefox) everytime the user visits a certain
site? Say Ebay for example!? Any help would be massively appriciated!

David E. Ross

Nov 17, 2006, 4:43:27 PM11/17/06

Let me get this clear. You want to log when someone uses your computer
and Firefox to access some Web site. Or is it that you want to log when
anyone in the world accesses a particular Web site?

For the former, an extension might be able to do this. For the latter,
the logging must be done on the Web server.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

Benji8605

Nov 20, 2006, 7:30:02 AM11/20/06
I just want to log when someone on a specific computer accesses a
website in firefox not anyone in the world. Would you have any clue how
to do this?

Any suggestions would be apprieciated!

Cheers,
Ben

David E. Ross

Nov 20, 2006, 10:38:02 AM11/20/06
Benji8605 wrote:
> I just want to log when someone on a specific computer accesses a
> website in firefox not anyone in the world. Would you have any clue how
> to do this?
>
> Any suggestions would be apprieciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Ben
>
> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> Benji8605 wrote:
>>> Does anyone no of, or now if its possible to create a firefox extension
>>> which logs (somewhere in firefox) everytime the user visits a certain
>>> site? Say Ebay for example!? Any help would be massively appriciated!
>>>
>> Let me get this clear. You want to log when someone uses your computer
>> and Firefox to access some Web site. Or is it that you want to log when
>> anyone in the world accesses a particular Web site?
>>
>> For the former, an extension might be able to do this. For the latter,
>> the logging must be done on the Web server.

There are commercial key-loggers available. Some come in packages with
parental-control applications.

Soyapi Mumba

Nov 20, 2006, 11:34:03 AM11/20/06
to Benji8605, dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
Benji8605 wrote:
> I just want to log when someone on a specific computer accesses a
> website in firefox not anyone in the world. Would you have any clue how
> to do this?

Add an event listener to the window object to call your function when a browser
window as loaded.

window.addEvenListener("load", MyExtension.init, false);

In that function, get the current URL. If it's what you're looking for, create
write to a log file.

For more info, check:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window (window.location)
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Code_snippets:File_I/O

- Soyapi
--
Soyapi Mumba
soyapi.blogspot.com

Kumar P

Dec 13, 2006, 5:35:56 AM12/13/06
I am also developing a similar but extended extension. I
want to log the Time-Interval for which URLs has been browsed....
Means i want to log the URL name, its browse start time and browse end
time or browse-duration.

If anyone have any idea let me know.
Thanks