Tracert extension feasible?

Daniel Kogan

Sep 27, 2006, 1:43:52 PM9/27/06
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all,
I want to develop a "trace route" extension to Firefox. The main problem that I see is that XPCOM network library does supports only TCP/IP protocol, but not the necessary ICMP/IP.
Is that true? If it is, then – is there a way to somehow incorporate an external dll file that does “tracert” into the FF extension? (Obviously, I want that extension to be easily installable to any machine, by simply running the .xpi file)
Any ideas would be highly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Daniel

---------------------------------

M00n£19h7$h4Ð0w

Nov 5, 2006, 5:46:09 AM11/5/06
i dont know if its possible, but i think it would be very useful!

"Daniel Kogan" <kogan...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi all,
> I want to develop a "trace route" extension to Firefox. The main problem
> that I see is that XPCOM network library does supports only TCP/IP
> protocol, but not the necessary ICMP/IP.

> Is that true? If it is, then - is there a way to somehow incorporate

gNeandr

Nov 5, 2006, 6:10:16 AM11/5/06
Am 27.09.2006 19:43 schrieb »Daniel Kogan«

Hello,
the following code is part of "SmartSync" - XPI .. this one calls a .dll .
},
runProcess: function(sPath, bWait, oArgs)
{
// ok.
var cmdLine = sPath;

// create an nsILocalFile for the executable
var file =
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/local;1"].createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsILocalFile);
file.initWithPath(cmdLine);

// create an nsIProcess
var process =
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/process/util;1"].createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsIProcess);
process.init(file);

// Run the process.
// If first param is true, calling process will be blocked until
called process terminates.
// Second and third params are used to pass command-line arguments to
the process.
//var args = ["argument1", "argument2"];
var args=new Array();
if(oArgs)
if(oArgs.push)
args=oArgs;

process.run(bWait, args, args.length);
},

Eric H. Jung

Nov 5, 2006, 1:00:55 PM11/5/06
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
Um, that runs an executable... it doesn't call a function in a DLL.

process.run(bWait, args, args.length);
},

gNeandr

Nov 5, 2006, 3:42:49 PM11/5/06
Sorry Daniel, you are right ... thought it's a DLL, but isn't.

But on my "WINxp" machine tracert.exe is stored in "C:\WINDOWS\system32"
and runs from cmd-prompt:

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\gW>tracert -d news.google.de

Routenverfolgung zu news.l.google.com [64.233.183.147] über maximal 30
Abschnitte:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.178.1
2 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
3 42 ms 42 ms 42 ms 217.0.74.186
4 43 ms 43 ms 43 ms 62.154.43.130
5 49 ms 48 ms 48 ms 4.68.110.189
6 49 ms 48 ms 49 ms 4.68.119.65
7 52 ms 52 ms 52 ms 212.187.128.30
8 53 ms 52 ms 52 ms 4.68.118.176
9 46 ms 46 ms 46 ms 62.67.38.226
10 48 ms 64 ms 61 ms 72.14.236.196
11 57 ms 56 ms 57 ms 72.14.232.208
12 58 ms 73 ms 58 ms 72.14.232.141
13 59 ms 58 ms 58 ms 72.14.233.77
14 61 ms 61 ms 59 ms 216.239.43.30
15 59 ms 59 ms 58 ms 64.233.183.147

Ablaufverfolgung beendet.

So ... what's the point?

Am 05.11.2006 19:00 schrieb »Eric H. Jung«

David E. Ross

Nov 6, 2006, 10:57:16 AM11/6/06
M00n£19h7$h4Ð0w wrote:
> i dont know if its possible, but i think it would be very useful!
>

> "Daniel Kogan" <kogan...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Hi all,
>> I want to develop a "trace route" extension to Firefox. The main problem
>> that I see is that XPCOM network library does supports only TCP/IP
>> protocol, but not the necessary ICMP/IP.
>> Is that true? If it is, then - is there a way to somehow incorporate
>> an external dll file that does "tracert" into the FF extension?
>> (Obviously, I want that extension to be easily installable to any machine,
>> by simply running the .xpi file)
>> Any ideas would be highly appreciated!!
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel

On my PC with WinXP, I use Cyberkit, a freeware application that does
ping, TraceRoute, WhoIs queries, and DNS lookups.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>