toolbarbutton coexisting in toolbarpalette and statusbar

Tony C

Sep 23, 2006, 1:53:20 PM9/23/06
When creating a customizable toolbar button in BrowserToolbarPalette
(in FF), moving the button to the statusbar does not seem to be an
option. I am sure there are some deeply seated technical reasons why
this is, but it posed a seriously complex solution for the case where I
needed to have the default location for the button in the statusbar,
but wanted to allow it to be moved via the View->Toolbars->Customize
mechanism.

There seems like there had to be a better way than what I did, so maybe
someone can provide some advice. Here are the two solutions I found
for status and toolbar coexistence of a button and the problems with
them:

Option #1) Use the same mechanism as I found forecastfox uses. Here,
they wrap their controls in a XUL object and "manually" move this to
toolbars via their own options dialog. This works, but it seems silly
to have to provide your own toolbar movement option and mechanism, when
there is already a built in FF mechanism. And the UI treatment about
specifying location and position is certainly not very intuitive for
the general user.

Option #2) Provide both a statusbar and BrowserToolbarPalette
button, and then listen for the events of the button being
removed/added to a toolbar, enabling and disabling the status bar
button as needed. This works, but is really a messy solution
technically, and provides some challenging UI decisions concerning when
the statusbar button should or should not reappear when removing from
another toolbar.

Is there a simpler, more intuitive Option #3 that I am missing?

Philip Chee

Sep 24, 2006, 12:58:12 AM9/24/06
On 23 Sep 2006 10:53:20 -0700, Tony C wrote:

> Is there a simpler, more intuitive Option #3 that I am missing?

Option #3

Install Status Buttons 1.0

<https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1272/>
"Lets you put toolbar buttons at either end of the status-bar. Just drag
them there from the toolbar customisation window, like you would when
adding buttons to the toolbars."

Option #4

Install Toolbar Control

<http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>

Phil

--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>
[ ]Ruling a country is like cooking a small fish. Lao-tzu

Tony C

Sep 24, 2006, 1:30:57 AM9/24/06
Philip Chee wrote:

> Option #3
>
> Install Status Buttons 1.0
> Option #4

I don't really want to make my extension depend on having to install
another extension, but I could look into these to see how they manage
it.

I'd guess these extensions muck with the browser XUL to add a true
toolbar piece as statusbar siblings which cooperate with the toolbar
customization mechanisms. Doing something like that would at least
solve the problem of consistency from the user interface perspective,
so thanks for the pointers.

I guess I am still hoping there is (or one day will be) a way to get
the user-interface consistency without playing all sorts of games with
the XUL, e.g., FF supporting this more natively. But then again, maybe
the Status Buttons mechanism isn't all that complex.

Thanks again.