XPCOM Singleton Question

Alex Iskold

Nov 6, 2006, 8:44:44 PM11/6/06

We have recognized a need to have a singleton component in our application,
which stores the data that can be shared between all Windows.

We have done research and see that we can create a singleton component in
XPCOM.
All we need to do is to store an object, so all of our code is going to
basically do this:

// This is pseudo code
getCreateObject() {
var comp = getSingletonComponent();
var obj = comp.getObject();
if ( obj == null ) {
obj = createObject();
comp.store( obj );
}
return obj;
}

In other words, we are trying to mimic classical flyweight pattern via
singleton XPCOM component.

My question is: is there a service or component that we can use already?
It seems like quote common problem, so I decided to ask.

In the code below the usage would be:

// This is pseudo code
getCreateObject() {
var comp = getSingletonService.createSingleton( "MyUniqueName" );
var obj = comp.getObject();
}

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alex