Thunderbird developer docs

Eric Shepherd

Oct 9, 2006, 4:27:54 PM10/9/06
to dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org
If anyone could help me flesh out the list of needed developer docs
for Thunderbird, I'd appreciate the help. The list is at:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/
User:Sheppy:Thunderbird_documentation_list

If you have comments or thoughts, feel free to edit the page to add
new documents or use the talk page to discuss ideas.

I could especially use help coming up with lists of interfaces that
should be documented, but also need help just getting a good feeling
for what all developers might want to know how to do -- and, for that
matter, what can be done. I don't yet know Thunderbird as well as I
do Firefox. :)

Thanks!

Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
she...@mozilla.com

Mark Banner

Oct 9, 2006, 4:45:11 PM10/9/06
Eric Shepherd wrote:
> If anyone could help me flesh out the list of needed developer docs for
> Thunderbird, I'd appreciate the help. The list is at:

> If you have comments or thoughts, feel free to edit the page to add new

> documents or use the talk page to discuss ideas.

Given that most of the Thunderbird back-end is common with SeaMonkey's
(also known as MailNews) why not make this documentation generic?

I think it would encourage developers (including extensions) to work
with/for both apps and you'd probably get some input from the SeaMonkey
developers as well.

Standard8.

Eric Shepherd

Oct 9, 2006, 5:42:08 PM10/9/06
to Mark Banner, dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Well, yeah, I guess that's the real point. It's just easier for my
feeble mind to think of it as Thunderbird, but in reality it would
certainly apply to both.

Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
she...@mozilla.com

Mark Banner

Oct 10, 2006, 2:03:26 PM10/10/06
to Eric Shepherd
I'm cross-posting these to the SeaMonkey developer list. One or two of
the devs may want to pick it up there as well.

Eric Shepherd wrote:
> If anyone could help me flesh out the list of needed developer docs for
> Thunderbird, I'd appreciate the help. The list is at:
>

> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/User:Sheppy:Thunderbird_documentation_list

> If you have comments or thoughts, feel free to edit the page to add new
> documents or use the talk page to discuss ideas.
>
> I could especially use help coming up with lists of interfaces that
> should be documented, but also need help just getting a good feeling for
> what all developers might want to know how to do -- and, for that
> matter, what can be done. I don't yet know Thunderbird as well as I do
> Firefox. :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric Shepherd
> Developer Documentation Lead
> she...@mozilla.com
>

> On Oct 9, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
>
>> Given that most of the Thunderbird back-end is common with
SeaMonkey's (also known as MailNews) why not make this documentation
generic?

>> I think it would encourage developers (including extensions) to work
with/for both apps and you'd probably get some input from the SeaMonkey
developers as well.

> Well, yeah, I guess that's the real point. It's just easier for my feeble mind to think of it as Thunderbird, but in reality it would certainly apply to both.

Mark Banner

Oct 10, 2006, 2:05:00 PM10/10/06
Eric Shepherd wrote:
> If anyone could help me flesh out the list of needed developer docs for
> Thunderbird, I'd appreciate the help. The list is at:
>
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/User:Sheppy:Thunderbird_documentation_list

Some Address book references that may be useful, and may actually need
to be on devmo, can be found at
http://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Address_Book

I haven't got time at the moment to work out what should be where
unfortunately.

Standard8

Eric Shepherd

Oct 10, 2006, 4:39:07 PM10/10/06
to Mark Banner, dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org
I appreciate that pointer. I'll add it to the list.