extensions.checkCompatibility.3.1 Changes To True After Crash

WildcatRay

Jun 12, 2010, 9:14:45 AM6/12/10
I tried using T-bird 3.1 RC2 and was encountering regular crashes. I
had added the boolean pref extensions.checkCompatibility.3.1 set to
false to enable my various incompatible extensions so as to isolate
the "bad" one or more of them. However, after each start following a
crash I was finding that the pref was reverting to true from false. I
asked in the Daily Build thread in the mozillazine.org forum if this
was a new and expected behavior, but no one there had the answer. Here
are my questions:

1. Is extensions.checkCompatibility.3.1 set to false the correct pref
to disable compatibility checking of add-ons?

2. Is T-bird 3.1 somehow set to change this pref to true on the start
following a crash?

3. If #2 is true, is there a way to disable this pref, to stop it from
reverting the pref to true?

If it cannot be disabled by the user, I will not upgrade to 3.1 nor
will I encourage anyone else to, either. If the resetting of
extensions.checkCompatibility.3.1 is, in fact, intended, it only
serves to make the task of IDing the "bad" add-on more difficult by
requiring more that just enabling/disabling and restarting the
program. It makes the user have to toggle that pref before doing
anything more.

I discovered this because of being prompted to restart the program
when opening the AoM after the program started up following a crash.
The Restart button was displayed in AoM so that any incompatible
extensions would be disabled on restart. Seeing that several times is
what prompted me to check in Configuration Editor (about:config) and
see that the pref had gone from false to true.

I am not using Add-on Compatibility Reporter.

My extensions:
Console² 0.6.1
FlashGot 1.2.1.23
Forward 0.9
Google Calendar Tab 3.1
Header Design Inc. 1.8.0
Mass Password Reset 1.04
MinimizeToTray revived (MinTrayR) 0.5.4
MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4.1
Nightly Tester Tools 2.0.3
PluginChecker 0.2
QuickPasswords 0.9.8
ReFwdFormatter 0.2.1
Remove Duplicate Messages (Alternate) 0.3.3
Signature Switch 1.6.5
Update Notifier 0.1.5.5.20091210.3

I am using only the default theme.

Please feel free to ask me for any further information. I will do my
best to provide it.

Mark Banner

Jun 13, 2010, 10:30:08 AM6/13/10
On 12/06/2010 14:14, WildcatRay wrote:
> 1. Is extensions.checkCompatibility.3.1 set to false the correct pref
> to disable compatibility checking of add-ons?

Yes.

> 2. Is T-bird 3.1 somehow set to change this pref to true on the start
> following a crash?

No. I took a good look at the code base and I cannot see anything that
would cause this. My only thought would be if it hadn't saved the pref
in the first place i.e. you crashed on shutdown after adding the pref.

Standard8

WildcatRay

Jun 13, 2010, 10:57:28 AM6/13/10
On Jun 13, 10:30 am, Mark Banner <bugzi...@invalid.standard8.plus.com>
wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps now I can get the pref added manually so
that I am not dealing with the reverting of it to true and then ID the
offending add-on. (Fun, fun fun. LOL)

FYI-There are several crashes to refer to:

bp-0ce72879-064c-422e-961f-772ce2100612 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: ~nsHtml5AttributeName
()‎ ] 6/12/2010 1:31 PM
bp-faf1774c-85f6-400e-8fd9-e0cfa2100612 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: releaseStatics ()‎ ]
6/12/2010 1:29 PM
bp-e00c1374-1e59-4d6b-8fc5-4f7ed2100612 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: releaseStatics ()‎ ]
6/12/2010 1:25 PM
bp-fe26ea74-37b9-4f3b-91c0-67e2c2100612 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: releaseStatics ()‎ ]
6/12/2010 1:13 PM
bp-65d043f7-4c88-4f1f-ba47-8ec942100611 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: releaseStatics ()‎ ]
6/11/2010 10:37 AM
bp-9d6ebce9-2217-438a-88c4-51d762100611 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: releaseStatics ()‎ ]
6/11/2010 10:32 AM
bp-26b59259-d44a-48d3-b67c-6694f2100611 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: ~nsHtml5AttributeName
()‎ ] 6/11/2010 10:23 AM
bp-2b4c53f6-dc91-40d4-bdf2-de07f2100611 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: releaseStatics ()‎ ]
6/11/2010 10:01 AM
bp-929c8d3d-0500-496a-9f07-635e72100611 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: ~nsHtml5AttributeName
()‎ ] 6/11/2010 9:58 AM
bp-9fe4a709-1463-4bb7-9ac0-b97df2100611 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: ~nsHtml5AttributeName
()‎ ] 6/11/2010 9:55 AM
bp-a04c3381-f350-463f-80c8-e838c2100611 [ @ arena_dalloc_small |
arena_dalloc | free | nsHtml5AttributeName:: releaseStatics ()‎ ]
6/11/2010 9:53 AM

WildcatRay

Jun 13, 2010, 11:02:19 AM6/13/10
wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps now I can get the pref added manually so

WildcatRay

Jun 14, 2010, 10:48:19 AM6/14/10
A followup: FWIW-I have tried a new profile and am still getting the
same crash signature. Crashes do seem to appear during the starting up
of RC2 because I saw them whether I outright restarted T-bird or
closed and cold started it. So far, the only common denominator
appears to be if I am enabling or disabling one or more of my
extensions. (I have no themes installed. Just using the default
theme.) I have not had time to go through and disable all my
extensions and re-enable them one at a time until I find one that is a
bad actor w/ RC2.

Wayne Mery

Jun 14, 2010, 12:48:33 PM6/14/10

There's not much point in posting unless either:
- you crashed in safe mode and state your crashid
- you narrowed down which extension is causing the crash

your previous crash is
http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/0ce72879-064c-422e-961f-772ce2100612
with extensions
Extension Extension Id Version Current?
Console² {1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe80} 0.6.1 current
FlashGot {19503e42-ca3c-4c27-b1e2-9cdb2170ee34} 1.2.1.23 current
for...@mozdev.org 0.9
googlecalendartab@momo 3.1
Mass Password Reset masspass...@johnathan.nightingale 1.04 current
Nightly Tester Tools {8620c15f-30dc-4dba-a131-7c5d20cf4a29} 2.0.3 current
QuickPasswords QuickPa...@axelg.com 0.9.8 current
{2ab1b709-ba03-4361-abf9-c50b964ff75d} 1.6.5

--
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing
http://www.spreadthunderbird.com/aff/165/

WildcatRay

Jun 14, 2010, 8:51:19 PM6/14/10
On Jun 14, 12:48 pm, Wayne Mery <vseer...@lehigh.edu> wrote:
> On 6/14/2010 10:48 AM, WildcatRay wrote:
>
> There's not much point in posting unless either:
> - you crashed in safe mode and state your crashid
> - you narrowed down which extension is causing the crash

After reading your post, I don't think I am going to do anything more
pursuing this.

I wonder if the higher ups at Mozilla have a better understanding of
what constitutes good customer relations and/or if they are willing to
roll the dice knowing that the release candidate has a latent crasher
in it (not to mention that the crasher apparently does not seem to
engender any sense of urgency among those responsible for the quality
of the product).

Wayne Mery

Jun 14, 2010, 9:24:46 PM6/14/10

I take my bedside manner seriously. Since you seem convinced that you
are being brushed off, disinterest would be expressed quite differently.
I'm simply saying, you haven't provided the information needed to pursue
the issue, i.e. since others can't reproduce based on the amount of
information available it is not actionable. I made a similar request in
the forum, i.e. a crash report in safe mode. You've been around long
enough to know this is a reasonable request. Both here and there, your
posting could have simply been ignored - obviously that was not the case.

Since standard8 could not reproduce your crash, perhaps someone would
need your prefs.js to reproduce.

Note: you seemed to not think me so unkind at
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1417815&start=15

WildcatRay

Jun 16, 2010, 8:39:54 AM6/16/10

Sorry, but saying "There's not much point in posting unless" comes
across more as "Don't bother us. We're busy and could not care less
that you are having a problem." than would "Thank you for bringing
this issue to our attention. Could you try reproducing this crash in
Safe Mode and/or telling us which extension(s) appears to be causing
your crashes." your previous forum post not withstanding.