Landing libxul on comm-central

Mark Banner

Sep 22, 2010, 4:15:56 AM9/22/10
Just to let folks (who build Thunderbird/SeaMonkey from comm-central)
know, we're trying to land the libxul work on trunk today.

I've just landed the Thunderbird part of the patch whilst investigating
some SeaMonkey issues.

If you don't want to build the libxul version, you'll need to change
your mozconfigs to specify:

ac_add_options --disable-libxul
ac_add_options --disable-ipc

(although we've not turned on ipc yet, add it now for when we do).

This will get you the old-style shared build.

If you do want to build with libxul, and you want to do a partial
rebuild e.g. for a change in mailnews, then you will need to do:

make -C <objdir>/mailnews
make -C <objdir>/mozilla/toolkit/library

Link times are currently quite slow on at least Mac, but the
mozilla-central folks are working on improving that.

I'll write a bit more about how this affects everything later, just
wanted to get the build options out.

Standard8

Philip Chee

Sep 22, 2010, 6:20:58 AM9/22/10
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:15:56 +0100, Mark Banner wrote:

> If you do want to build with libxul, and you want to do a partial
> rebuild e.g. for a change in mailnews, then you will need to do:
>
> make -C <objdir>/mailnews
> make -C <objdir>/mozilla/toolkit/library

I normally use:
make -C <objdir> tier_app
Do I have to explicitly build <objdir>/mozilla/toolkit/library ?
And if I do is it before or after tier_app.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>

Mark Banner

Sep 22, 2010, 8:12:08 AM9/22/10
On 22/09/2010 11:20, Philip Chee wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:15:56 +0100, Mark Banner wrote:
>
>> If you do want to build with libxul, and you want to do a partial
>> rebuild e.g. for a change in mailnews, then you will need to do:
>>
>> make -C<objdir>/mailnews
>> make -C<objdir>/mozilla/toolkit/library
>
> I normally use:
> make -C<objdir> tier_app
> Do I have to explicitly build<objdir>/mozilla/toolkit/library ?
> And if I do is it before or after tier_app.

The way we've done libxul (at the moment), means that mailnews/, suite/
and mail/ are now under tier_platform. mozilla/toolkit/library is also
part of that tier.

So if you wanted to rebuild using tiers, you'd need to do tier_platform
and tier_app.

Standard8

Justin Wood (Callek)

Sep 22, 2010, 9:48:36 PM9/22/10

Though this applies to compiled code, if you are doing XUL code we
should still work just fine for suite/ and mail/ as tier_app. Unless I
forgot something.

But certainly better to be safe here....

--
~Justin Wood (Callek)

Nomis101

Sep 24, 2010, 2:28:49 PM9/24/10
> Link times are currently quite slow on at least Mac, but the
> mozilla-central folks are working on improving that.

Is this the reason why the startup time of the Mac libxul builds is so
slow now? On the old static builds I clicked the dock icon, it jumped
once and Thunderbird was opened. Now with the libxul builds the dock
icon jumps twice before Thunderbird is opened.

Ludovic Hirlimann

Sep 24, 2010, 3:46:32 PM9/24/10
to Nomis101

I didn't notice , but I'm not launching the app often either.

Can you try to quantify that and post a bug ?

Ludo
--
Ludovic Hirlimann MozillaMessaging QA lead
http://www.spreadthunderbird.com/aff/79/2

Nomis101

Sep 25, 2010, 11:21:15 AM9/25/10
On 24 Sep., 21:46, Ludovic Hirlimann <ludo...@mozillamessaging.com>
wrote:

It's difficult to quantify. I've tried a lot of methods to measure the
startup time of Thunderbird, without success. And quantifying the
startup time with a stopwatch seems not really feasible for me. But
since the latest tracemonkey merge, the startup time is now fast
again. So maybe this was only a short term phenomenon, but I will keep
an eye on this.