SeaMonkey 2.0 Release Candidate 2

Robert Kaiser

Oct 19, 2009, 10:37:26 AM10/19/09
SeaMonkey 2.0 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download on
the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved in
discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.

Full news article:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/news#2009-10-19

Downloads for all available platforms and languages:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.0rc2

Release notes (preliminary ones for 2.0, RCs don't get separate relnotes):
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.0

System Requirements:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/system-requirements

Newsgroups: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/community#groups
File a bug: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?format=guided
Get Involved: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/get-involved

Robert Kaiser
SeaMonkey project coordinator

Message has been deleted

Niels Peter Hansen

Oct 19, 2009, 11:28:28 AM10/19/09

I've been using the sneak preview and haven't been able to find anything
wrong - even though I've defied all warnings and used it with production
data.
This baby seems pretty stable to me :-)

Niels Peter Hansen

David Wilkinson

Oct 19, 2009, 11:35:26 AM10/19/09
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> SeaMonkey 2.0 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download on
> the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved in
> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.

Thanks for all the great work, Robert!

--
David Wilkinson

Bill Davidsen

Oct 19, 2009, 12:56:07 PM10/19/09
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> SeaMonkey 2.0 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download on
> the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved in
> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.

Is this the same as "build3" or do you need additional testing?

> Full news article:
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/news#2009-10-19
>
> Downloads for all available platforms and languages:
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.0rc2
>
> Release notes (preliminary ones for 2.0, RCs don't get separate relnotes):
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.0
>
> System Requirements:
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/system-requirements
>
> Newsgroups: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/community#groups
> File a bug: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?format=guided
> Get Involved: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/get-involved
>
> Robert Kaiser
> SeaMonkey project coordinator

--
Bill Davidsen <davi...@tmr.com>

Robert Kaiser

Oct 19, 2009, 3:10:00 PM10/19/09
Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> SeaMonkey 2.0 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download
>> on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved in
>> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the
>> product.
>>
> Is this the same as "build3" or do you need additional testing?

This is build3 going public for wider testing. You don't need to re-test
the same things, but we want more people testing it and for more
usecases - if no major issues are found, we'll convert exactly those
builds into the final 2.0 release after all.

Robert Kaiser

WIFT

Oct 19, 2009, 4:48:16 PM10/19/09
Hi there,
sorry, if it has been discussed already or if it doesn't fit here - but
from my point of view SM 2.0 has some "minor glitches". Whne I select
custom installation I'm not able NOT to install the e-mail client (I
already use Thunderbird and don't want to change that - I like programs
separated).
The problem is: even when I have set TB as my default e-mail client,
when I click on a "mailto" link, SeaMonkey tries to do the job instead
of TB (I'm using SM 2 RC2).
I would appreciate if SeaMonkey would be installable completely without
the e-mail client. Give user the choice, please don't descend to "MS
bundling" level ;-).
Thanks.

(w)

--
(Using SeaMonkey since Netscape 3 ;-)

Niels Peter Hansen

Oct 19, 2009, 4:52:50 PM10/19/09

Eh - if you want SeaMonkey without Mail/News then why not try Firefox?

Niels Peter Hansen

WIFT

Oct 19, 2009, 5:17:38 PM10/19/09
Dne 19.10.2009 22:52, Niels Peter Hansen napsal(a):

> Eh - if you want SeaMonkey without Mail/News then why not try Firefox?
>
> Niels Peter Hansen

Because Firefox is not SeaMonkey ;-). Just because they have the same
rendering engine does not mean they can substitute each other. It's
about user experience. The same way I would ask "why using one web
browser when I can use another" ;-) I like SM, I like its preference
settings, I like its features (some of them), I like the way it behaves
and there "is" (sort of) one extension that I like very much and that is
designed specifically for SM: MultiZilla (it doesn't work with FF - but
it doesn't work with SM2 either and the development of it looks stopped,
which is why I'm considering leaving SM at all, but I want to give it
(both SM and MZ) a chance - force of habit ;-).
(w)

NoOp

Oct 19, 2009, 6:39:07 PM10/19/09

See the thread "Seamonkey v2 RC - How to disable email feature?" on
mozilla.support.seamonkey.

Jeff Wieland

Oct 19, 2009, 9:59:09 PM10/19/09

Is anyone else trying to build SeaMonkey 2.0 RC2 on Solaris 10?
I've made significant progress with RC1, but I'm getting hung up
with Cairo-related errors. I'm trying RC2 now.

I'm using the following locally built packages for this:

pkg-config-0.23
libcroco-0.6.2
gettext-0.17
libiconv-1.13.1
glib-2.12.13
atk-1.9.1
cairo-1.2.6
pango-1.14.10
gtk+-2.10.14
--
Jeff Wieland
jjwi...@gmail.com

WIFT

Oct 20, 2009, 3:52:02 AM10/20/09
Dne 20.10.2009 0:39, NoOp napsal(a):

> See the thread "Seamonkey v2 RC - How to disable email feature?" on
> mozilla.support.seamonkey.

Thank you very much, now I see I'm not the only one :).

Peter Weilbacher

Oct 20, 2009, 3:54:07 AM10/20/09
On 20.10.2009 03:59, Jeff Wieland wrote:

> Is anyone else trying to build SeaMonkey 2.0 RC2 on Solaris 10?
> I've made significant progress with RC1, but I'm getting hung up
> with Cairo-related errors. I'm trying RC2 now.
>
> I'm using the following locally built packages for this:
>
> pkg-config-0.23
> libcroco-0.6.2
> gettext-0.17
> libiconv-1.13.1
> glib-2.12.13
> atk-1.9.1
> cairo-1.2.6

That cairo is way too old, does configure not already tell you that?
If you want to use system-cairo I think you should install cairo 1.8.2
(or at least 1.6.x).
Peter.

Benoit Renard

Oct 20, 2009, 6:25:35 AM10/20/09
WIFT wrote:
> Whne I select custom installation I'm not able NOT to install the
> e-mail client (I already use Thunderbird and don't want to change
> that - I like programs separated).

The new installer, which was borrowed from Firefox and Thunderbird, only
supports components packaged as extensions. mailnews is not an
extension, and it would be very hard to make it one.

Other things were given priority over fixing the installer for 2.0. This
will hopefully be fixed for 2.1.

Gerry Hickman

Oct 20, 2009, 12:23:31 PM10/20/09
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> SeaMonkey 2.0 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download on
> the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved in
> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.
>
> Full news article:
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/news#2009-10-19
>
> Downloads for all available platforms and languages:
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.0rc2
>
> Release notes (preliminary ones for 2.0, RCs don't get separate relnotes):
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.0

Thanks, but what I really want to see is what's changed/fixed between
each SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta release and RC release, not just the general
notes for what's new in SM2.0...

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Jens Hatlak

Oct 20, 2009, 12:38:13 PM10/20/09
On 10/20/2009 6:23 PM Gerry Hickman wrote:
> Thanks, but what I really want to see is what's changed/fixed between
> each SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta release and RC release, not just the general
> notes for what's new in SM2.0...

See the second link in my footer. I'll post the changes between Beta 2
and 2.0 final there before the latter is released (i.e. probably at the
end of the week).

HTH

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>
SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker <http://smtt.blogspot.com/>

Robert Kaiser

Oct 24, 2009, 6:58:59 PM10/24/09
Gerry Hickman wrote:
> Thanks, but what I really want to see is what's changed/fixed between
> each SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta release and RC release, not just the general
> notes for what's new in SM2.0...

A bit late, but thanks to Jens here there is the list of changes between
Beta 2 and the RCS/final:
http://smtt.blogspot.com/2009/10/seamonkey-20-goes-gold.html

Robert Kaiser