Thunderbird's future and SeaMonkey

1 view

Ricardo Palomares Martinez

Jul 26, 2007, 4:02:49 PM7/26/07

I've found with great surprise the news about Mozilla
Foundation/Corporation thinking of dropping Thunderbird as a Mozilla
product:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/mitchell/archives/2007/07/email_futures.html
http://scott-macgregor.org/blog/?p=4

Putting aside comments and thoughts (there are a lot of them in those
blogs comments, and even some people were predicting this kind of
movements [1][2]), how could this affect small community projects like
SeaMonkey and Calendar?

[1] http://www.bengoodger.com/2007/04/the_autonomous_future.html
[2] http://mozillamemory.org/details.php?id=7277&p=1 (look for "I
don’t know how much you want me to talk about this")

Ricardo.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Benoit Renard

Jul 26, 2007, 6:14:21 PM7/26/07
There are more SeaMonkey people working on mailnews than Thunderbird
people, so I'm not worried about it.

Andrew Schultz

Jul 26, 2007, 9:20:11 PM7/26/07
Benoit Renard wrote:
> There are more SeaMonkey people working on mailnews than Thunderbird
> people, so I'm not worried about it.

That's a rather misleading statement. Thunderbird has 2 expert people
working full time and maybe a few other volunteers. SeaMonkey has a few
volunteers who work on mail. Whether or not you can come up with a way
to count more SeaMonkey people than Thunderbird people is an exercise in
arbitrariness. What's clear is that people working on mail for
Thunderbird do a lot more work than SeaMonkey people.

--
Andrew Schultz
ajsc...@verizon.net