Quick Launch (aka Turbo mode) . . .

Laurence

Oct 2, 2007, 5:08:39 AM10/2/07
What is to become of SeaMonkey's Quick Launch (aka Turbo Mode) function?
I read that some people want it to be removed.

When enabled, the increase in speed of any of it's components loading is
very noticeable. We know that not everyone has the latest or superfast
CPU, and there are those who do not have the inclination, desire, need
or money to upgrade their hardware. However by keeping the Quick Launch
feature intact in SeaMonkey, it makes any of it's Internet components
respond quickly, thus providing another measure of satisfaction to the
user.

I myself am not a coder, but if those advocating for its removal is
mostly, or solely, due to that feature being somewhat buggy, would it
not be worth attempting to first clean up and make repairs to the code
and see if it works better. And then hopefully keep it in SeaMonkey, as
a preference option, for people to use who could actually benefit from it.

If it is a possibility, and not a shut and closed matter, would you
please consider this. Thank you.

Laurence

Tony Mechelynck

Oct 2, 2007, 9:00:35 AM10/2/07
Laurence wrote:
> What is to become of SeaMonkey's Quick Launch (aka Turbo Mode) function?
> I read that some people want it to be removed.

I saw a "bug" at bugzilla recently about removing it, and it was about to be
"fixed" (i.e., the Turbo Mode removed from the main browser code). The
comments mentioned that you could still use the Minimize to Tray extension to
get the same result (albeit only /a posteriori/ and not at startup).

Alas, I can't find that bug number back now that I need it.

> When enabled, the increase in speed of any of it's components loading is
> very noticeable. We know that not everyone has the latest or superfast
> CPU, and there are those who do not have the inclination, desire, need
> or money to upgrade their hardware. However by keeping the Quick Launch
> feature intact in SeaMonkey, it makes any of it's Internet components
> respond quickly, thus providing another measure of satisfaction to the
> user.
>
> I myself am not a coder, but if those advocating for its removal is
> mostly, or solely, due to that feature being somewhat buggy, would it
> not be worth attempting to first clean up and make repairs to the code
> and see if it works better. And then hopefully keep it in SeaMonkey, as
> a preference option, for people to use who could actually benefit from it.
>
> If it is a possibility, and not a shut and closed matter, would you
> please consider this. Thank you.
>
> Laurence

If you aren't a coder yourself, meaning you aren't willing to step up and
maintain it by constantly fixing any bugs in it yourself, I don't think you'll
have much success in reviving that option. AFAICT, in the current state of
affairs, it's nothing more than a zombie waiting for the next release to
appear so it can R.I.P.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
What I want is all of the power and none of the responsibility.

Robert Kaiser

Oct 2, 2007, 9:12:26 AM10/2/07
Laurence wrote:
> What is to become of SeaMonkey's Quick Launch (aka Turbo Mode) function?
> I read that some people want it to be removed.

The problem is not *wanting* to remove it but it actually is *needing*
to remove it. The "new toolkit" code does not support it, so the bits
and pieces we have left over in trunk nightlies are just not working any
more and need to be removed.
When system tray icon code comes into toolkit, which is planned, someone
could possibly create a replacement for most things "turbo" does in
SeaMonkey 1.x but as long as that's not there, that function is dead and
the old code does not work any more, so it's being removed.

Robert Kaiser

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla

Oct 2, 2007, 9:57:40 AM10/2/07

What exactly is this new toolkit? The name "new toolkit" was first used
a few years ago when David Hyatt started to work on Phoenix, but I keep
seeing it and keep wondering what this "new toolkit" code really is;
because to me it simply does not exist as such other than a XBL rewrite?!?

--
Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
- MultiZilla Project Team Lead

Philip Chee

Oct 2, 2007, 10:06:11 AM10/2/07
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:57:40 +0200, Michael Vincent van Rantwijk,
MultiZilla wrote:

> What exactly is this new toolkit? The name "new toolkit" was first used
> a few years ago when David Hyatt started to work on Phoenix, but I keep
> seeing it and keep wondering what this "new toolkit" code really is;
> because to me it simply does not exist as such other than a XBL rewrite?!?

"New" toolkit: <http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/toolkit/>

Phil

--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>
[ ]Multitask- Make twice the mistakes in ˝ the time.

Simon Paquet

Oct 2, 2007, 10:24:44 AM10/2/07
Tony Mechelynck wrote on 02. Oct 2007:

>> What is to become of SeaMonkey's Quick Launch (aka Turbo Mode)
>> function? I read that some people want it to be removed.

> I saw a "bug" at bugzilla recently about removing it, and it was
> about to be "fixed" (i.e., the Turbo Mode removed from the main
> browser code).

Yes, bug 361682 – Remove "turbo mode" from suiterunner builds.

--
Simon

Robert Kaiser

Oct 2, 2007, 10:32:13 AM10/2/07
Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
> What exactly is this new toolkit? The name "new toolkit" was first used
> a few years ago when David Hyatt started to work on Phoenix, but I keep
> seeing it and keep wondering what this "new toolkit" code really is;
> because to me it simply does not exist as such other than a XBL rewrite?!?

The term is usually used to differentiate between the "old xpfe" code
that was used by the old suite up to SeaMonkey 1.x and describe all the
rewritten framework done for Firefox and used in Thunderbird, Sunbird,
XULRunner and others - including SeaMonkey trunk.

This includes new versions of the XBL widgets, some of which are
rewritten, some of which are just copies of the old xpfe versions, and
some of which are completely new, like <prefwindow> etc.
Also included in this "new toolkit" are things like the new extension
management framework, the new chrome registry that is tied in with it as
well as the new startup stuff - and then all the components like the new
download manager backend, the new login manager and lots of others are
also considered parts of the "new toolkit".

I hope I could clear this up a bit.

Robert Kaiser

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla

Oct 2, 2007, 12:00:01 PM10/2/07
Philip Chee wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:57:40 +0200, Michael Vincent van Rantwijk,
> MultiZilla wrote:
>
>> What exactly is this new toolkit? The name "new toolkit" was first used
>> a few years ago when David Hyatt started to work on Phoenix, but I keep
>> seeing it and keep wondering what this "new toolkit" code really is;
>> because to me it simply does not exist as such other than a XBL rewrite?!?
>
> "New" toolkit: <http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/toolkit/>
>
> Phil

Right, so what exactly doesn't work with this code? I have a hard time
believing that it is the CSS, JS, XUL, XBL or IDL files, but hey we're
here to learn new thing every single day.

BTW: Glad to see you back well again :)

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla

Oct 2, 2007, 12:06:23 PM10/2/07

Thank you Robert. Forgive me my ignorance; but I think about "toolkit"
just about what you (and Philip) described it is, a 'simple' rewrite of
CSS, JS, XUL and XBL code and thus that was why I can't understand why
the rewritten code would fail to work with Quick Launch.

Simon Paquet

Oct 2, 2007, 5:38:35 PM10/2/07
And on the seventh day Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla spoke:

>> This includes new versions of the XBL widgets, some of which are
>> rewritten, some of which are just copies of the old xpfe versions, and
>> some of which are completely new, like <prefwindow> etc.
>> Also included in this "new toolkit" are things like the
>> new extension management framework, the new chrome registry that is

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> tied in with it as well as the new startup stuff - and then all the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Thank you Robert. Forgive me my ignorance; but I think about "toolkit"
>just about what you (and Philip) described it is, a 'simple' rewrite of
>CSS, JS, XUL and XBL code and thus that was why I can't understand why
>the rewritten code would fail to work with Quick Launch.

I took the liberty to mark all the parts of the new toolkit that aren't
just pure xml, xul, xbl, css and js.

All these areas come into play when the application starts and are
therefore very relevant as to why the old turbo mode is no longer
working.

Simon
--
Calendar l10n coordinator
Calendar Website Maintainer: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla

Oct 2, 2007, 10:48:08 PM10/2/07
Simon Paquet wrote:
> And on the seventh day Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla spoke:
>
>>> This includes new versions of the XBL widgets, some of which are
>>> rewritten, some of which are just copies of the old xpfe versions, and
>>> some of which are completely new, like <prefwindow> etc.
>>> Also included in this "new toolkit" are things like the
>>> new extension management framework, the new chrome registry that is
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> tied in with it as well as the new startup stuff - and then all the
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Thank you Robert. Forgive me my ignorance; but I think about "toolkit"
>> just about what you (and Philip) described it is, a 'simple' rewrite of
>> CSS, JS, XUL and XBL code and thus that was why I can't understand why
>> the rewritten code would fail to work with Quick Launch.
>
> I took the liberty to mark all the parts of the new toolkit that aren't
> just pure xml, xul, xbl, css and js.
>
> All these areas come into play when the application starts and are
> therefore very relevant as to why the old turbo mode is no longer
> working.
>
> Simon

Thank you Simon, but IMHO that "new extension management" is mostly a JS
component, and most of the chrome registry already worked with SeaMonkey
v1.5 right? So I guess we're boiling down to the "new startup stuff"
which is what exactly? Checking for updates? Calling the binary diff
tool in order to binary patch the application binary?

The thing is that I am trying to narrow the scope of this giant called
"the new toolkit" to just the file or part(s) of SeaMonkey (or should I
say Mozilla Application Platform?) which fails to work these days with
Quick Launch i.e. what *exactly* changed and make it fail.

I'm aware that Brendan stands behind in terms of the "no more restarts"
for Mozilla Firefox 3 (when add-ons) are being installed/updated) and
that might as well be another issue, but then again I am still trying to
get to the bottom of it in a new learning curve.

Note: I don't use/rely on Quick Launch myself, but a RAM disk wich does
the job even better (in my case a proprietary software tool) when I
build SeaMonkey every day.

Thanks again,

Neil

Oct 3, 2007, 5:05:44 AM10/3/07
Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:

> The thing is that I am trying to narrow the scope of this giant called
> "the new toolkit" to just the file or part(s) of SeaMonkey (or should
> I say Mozilla Application Platform?) which fails to work these days
> with Quick Launch i.e. what *exactly* changed and make it fail.

Basically toolkit\xre is a rewrite of xpfe\bootstrap to support stuff
such as nsIXULAppInfo (which SeaMonkey emulates on the branch), the
toolkit profile service (which uses profiles.ini instead of
registry.dat), toolkit command line handlers, automatic updates,
restarting, crash reporting and probably other stuff I've overlooked.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.