SeaMonkey slogan(s)

Robert Kaiser

Mar 28, 2007, 11:46:06 AM3/28/07
Hi people,

For the past time, the SeaMonkey project just has taken over the slogan
already in use by the Mozilla suite for its (rare) marketing stuff, and
therefore we're using "all-in-one internet application suite" in many areas.

This is a good description of what our software is, but it's a bit long
and not at all catchy. Firefox's "the browser, reloaded." or
Thunderbird's "reclaim your inbox." sound much better in ears of
potential users, and I believe we also can find something catchier.

When we get more visible with SeaMonkey (community) marketing stuff (see
also <http://home.kairo.at/blog/2007-03/seamonkey_marketing> if you
haven't read it yet), I think we should have a small collection of about
3 slogans we're using at various places, and which ideally are catchy
enough to produce some interest of people who don't know SeaMonkey yet,
so they click on a logo/button with that, follow a URL from a T-shirt
with it or whatever to get informed about our software.

I did a bit of brainstorming to find some possible slogans, and I'd like
to hear from you which ones you really like, which ones you dislike, or
which additional ones you propose. I'll try to do some simple table
summing up what feedback people are giving here, so in your reply,
please prefix slogans you really like with a "+", ones you do really
dislike with a "-" and new ones you propose with nothing or a space.

For some of my proposals, I tried to describe what our software is, some
are playing with the "instant life" slogan of Sea-Monkeys (the brine
shrimp), some are playing with the suite/sweet analogy (those are
probably hard to translate though when we're trying to do localized
marketing material). Here they are:

the suite, reborn.
browser + mail. all in one.
the internet - at your fingertips.
surf & mail. instantly. live.
instant life - on the internet.
live the net. instantly.
browse. mail. compose. chat.
connecting lives. instantly.
the complete internet experience
professional web, mail & more
suite life
internet for professionals
instantly live.
advanced internet
the internet has never been so suite.
suite surfing
tame the suite waters.
it's alive!

I'm curious about your comments :)

Robert Kaiser

Andy Willis

Mar 28, 2007, 12:05:37 PM3/28/07

- the suite, reborn.
- browser + mail. all in one.
+ the internet - at your fingertips.
- surf & mail. instantly. live.
- instant life - on the internet.
- live the net. instantly.
+ browse. mail. compose. chat.
+ connecting lives. instantly.
+ the complete internet experience
/ professional web, mail & more
- suite life
+ internet for professionals
- instantly live.
+ advanced internet
- the internet has never been so suite.
- suite surfing
- tame the suite waters.
- it's alive!

Neil

Mar 28, 2007, 12:51:46 PM3/28/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:

> -the suite, reborn.
> -browser + mail. all in one.
> -the internet - at your fingertips.
> -surf & mail. instantly. live.
> -instant life - on the internet.
> -live the net. instantly.
> +browse. mail. compose. chat.
> -connecting lives. instantly.
> +the complete internet experience
> +professional web, mail & more
> +suite life
> +internet for professionals
> -instantly live.
> +advanced internet
> *the internet has never been so suite.
> +suite surfing
> -tame the suite waters.
> +it's alive!

*+ if prefixed with surfing, - otherwise.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Dominique

Mar 28, 2007, 1:17:24 PM3/28/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:
.../...

- the suite, reborn.
- browser + mail. all in one.
- the internet - at your fingertips.
- surf & mail. instantly. live.
- instant life - on the internet.
+ live the net. instantly.

+ browse. mail. compose. chat.

- connecting lives. instantly.

+ the complete internet experience

- professional web, mail & more
- suite life
- internet for professionals

- instantly live.
+ advanced internet
- the internet has never been so suite.
- suite surfing
- tame the suite waters.

+ it's alive!
Internet mastered
Internet controlled
All internet

Dominique

Giacomo Magnini

Mar 28, 2007, 1:25:52 PM3/28/07
Robert Kaiser ha scritto:

> For some of my proposals, I tried to describe what our software is, some
> are playing with the "instant life" slogan of Sea-Monkeys (the brine
> shrimp), some are playing with the suite/sweet analogy (those are
> probably hard to translate though when we're trying to do localized
> marketing material). Here they are:

In both cases, please don't. The Seamonkey shrimps have never been seen
around here, and trying to translate an analogy like suite/sweet is
simply impossible in Italian. Even the word "suite" is going to give
headaches...

+the suite, reborn.
+browser + mail. all in one.
+the internet - at your fingertips.

-surf & mail. instantly. live.
-instant life - on the internet.
-live the net. instantly.
+browse. mail. compose. chat.
-connecting lives. instantly.
+the complete internet experience
+professional web, mail & more

-suite life
-internet for professionals
-instantly live.
-advanced internet
+the internet has never been so suite. (with surfin' before, but not
easily translated in any form)
-suite surfing
-tame the suite waters.
-it's alive!
total/global/integrated internet experience

Ciao, Giacomo.

Sailfish

Mar 28, 2007, 1:34:29 PM3/28/07
The only Hummer in the browser wars
To cut through the net jungle, use Swiss Army Knife of browsers
For total information preparation, get the Cuisinart of browsers

:-)

--
Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/

Eddie-MacG3

Mar 28, 2007, 1:55:31 PM3/28/07
> Here they are:

+ the suite, reborn.
- browser + mail. all in one.
- the internet - at your fingertips.
- surf & mail. instantly. live.
+ instant life - on the internet.

- live the net. instantly.
- browse. mail. compose. chat.
++ connecting lives. instantly.

+ the complete internet experience
- professional web, mail & more
- suite life
- internet for professionals
- instantly live.
- advanced internet

- the internet has never been so suite.
- suite surfing
- tame the suite waters.
- it's alive!

> I'm curious about your comments :)
>
> Robert Kaiser

Two more "selection criteria":
- not limited to just browsing & mail/news
- not limited to just the Internet

Remember, SeaMonkey, if We have anything to "say" about it, will be
around a Longgggg time, and will doubtless acquire functionality not
even dreamed of right now, what with Add-ons and XUL/SuiteRunner and
who knows what all.

That said, these offer some starting points:
++ connecting lives. instantly.

+ the complete internet experience

First one:
++ connecting lives. instantly:
"connecting lives" has a Ring to it, and an Emotional appeal.
How about: "Your Life, Connected" ?

Next one:

+ the complete internet experience

It fails the "- not limited to just the Internet" test.
But, "the complete ... experience" says something.
>From "Desktop Environment" (also too limiting), and reshuffling:
"A Life Connections Environment"

There, how about that?
"SeaMonkey: A Life Connections Environment"

It plays on a Contact/Relationship Manager theme, but more broadly.

Thanks you,
Eddie Maddox

Ricardo Palomares Martinez

Mar 28, 2007, 1:38:38 PM3/28/07
Robert Kaiser escribió:

I may sound too negative, but I've discarded based on:

-> difficulties to translate to spanish.
-> the brief life of seamonkeys may not be known to a lot of people,
thus could misunderstand slogans playing with "live"; they would
probably find that "internet is always live" so if that's all we
can highlight, then there is no much to look at...
-> the first is too similar to Firefox's slogan, without playing with
it itself. Something along that line could be nice, though.
-> I've selected "professional web, mail & more" over "internet for
professionals" because the second one sounds scaring to me. People
could choose not to look to SeaMonkey based in that they are not
professionals, so they could not qualify for using it. The first
one, on the other hand, suggests a polished and complete product.

Here I go:

- the suite, reborn.
- browser + mail. all in one.
- the internet - at your fingertips.
- surf & mail. instantly. live.
- instant life - on the internet.

- live the net. instantly.

+ browse. mail. compose. chat.

- connecting lives. instantly.

+ the complete internet experience

+ professional web, mail & more

- suite life
- internet for professionals
- instantly live.

+ advanced internet
+ the internet has never been so suite.

- suite surfing
- tame the suite waters.
- it's alive!

I would add a variation of the sentence I stamped in my home-made SM
T-Shirt. The original said "Get all the good stuff at once!", but
maybe replacing "good stuff" with "Internet" is better:

Get all the Internet at once!

An animated GIF button could have this sentence and then iterate over
"Browse", "E-mail", "Chat", "Web authoring", "And more..."

Ricardo.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Ruediger Lahl

Mar 28, 2007, 2:12:38 PM3/28/07
*Robert Kaiser* wrote:

> haven't read it yet), I think we should have a small collection of about
> 3 slogans we're using at various places, and which ideally are catchy
> enough to produce some interest of people who don't know SeaMonkey yet,
> so they click on a logo/button with that, follow a URL from a T-shirt
> with it or whatever to get informed about our software.
>

> I'm curious about your comments :)

Get what you want! SeaMonkey!

Web, Mail, News, Chat? Get what you want! SeaMonkey!

Viruses, Worms, Phishing, Spam? Get what /you/ want! SeaMonkey!

IE, WindowsMail, MSN, Frontpage? Get what _you_ want! SeaMonkey!

What is the prise for the winner? He can make a wish for a
SeaMonkey-feature that the Council build in immediately(The feature
should be a long time goody from Bugzilla.)
--
best regards

Rickles

Mar 28, 2007, 2:37:17 PM3/28/07
> +the suite, reborn.

> browser + mail. all in one.
> -the internet - at your fingertips.

> surf & mail. instantly. live.
> -instant life - on the internet.
> -live the net. instantly.
> +browse. mail. compose. chat.
> -connecting lives. instantly.
> the complete internet experience

> +professional web, mail & more
> -suite life
> -internet for professionals
> instantly live.
> -advanced internet
> -the internet has never been so suite.

> suite surfing
> tame the suite waters.
> it's alive!
>

> I'm curious about your comments :)
>
> Robert Kaiser

How's about this approach:
Internet. Inbox. In One.

Should translate well, since the various issues of 'live' and 'suite'
aren't involved, no?

Robert Kaiser

Mar 28, 2007, 3:00:47 PM3/28/07
Ruediger Lahl schrieb:

> What is the prise for the winner?

There are no prices, and this is not a contest. It's just a try to get
input and leverage the dev community for selecting new slogans.

Note that all those slogans should fit nicely in the space where we
currently have "all-in-on internet application suite" in the extended
logo, visible e.g on our main project page
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/>, i.e. it short be short,
precise, easy to read, catchy, but still leave the main focus to the
SeaMonkey logo and name.

And we want to have at least one easily localizable slogan in our
collection, so we can easily get buttons, etc. in languages we ship our
main software in.

Robert Kaiser

Karsten Düsterloh

Mar 28, 2007, 3:10:19 PM3/28/07
Finding "catchy" phrases is really hard - and almost impossible if you
want to keep it translatable. Localizers should have the best knowledge
of what is "catchy" in their tongue...
So we should concentrate on a witty solution for the "international"
version aka en-US.

We should not, imo, try to mimic slogans of other projects or products,
especially not of Firefox or sea monkeys.

Robert Kaiser aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
- the suite, reborn.

browser + mail. all in one.

- the internet - at your fingertips.
- surf & mail. instantly. live.
- instant life - on the internet.
- live the net. instantly.

- browse. mail. compose. chat.
- connecting lives. instantly.

the complete internet experience
professional web, mail & more
suite life
internet for professionals

- instantly live.
advanced internet

suite surfing
tame the suite waters.

- it's alive!

the internet has never been so suite.

-> our #seamonkey topic variation of this is much "catchier", despite
the lack of mentioning mail/composer/chatzilla/etc.:

+ surfing the net has never been so suite

(Although I actually very much dislike the term 'surfing' with regard to
the internet.)

Karsten
--
Feel free to correct my English. :)

be...@fmg.sk

Mar 28, 2007, 3:28:05 PM3/28/07
+the suite, reborn.
-browser + mail. all in one.
+the internet - at your fingertips.
-surf & mail. instantly. live.
-instant life - on the internet.
-live the net. instantly.
-browse. mail. compose. chat.
-connecting lives. instantly.
+the complete internet experience

+professional web, mail & more
-suite life
-internet for professionals
-instantly live.
+advanced internet
+the internet has never been so suite.

-suite surfing
-tame the suite waters.
+it's alive!

Eddie-MacG3

Mar 28, 2007, 3:38:11 PM3/28/07
> + the complete internet experience

This one has been "+"ed by nearly Everyone.

So, how about something that plays on the idea
of the Internet as the New Silicon Valley?

Eddie

Andrew Schultz

Mar 28, 2007, 3:47:43 PM3/28/07
Most of them look OK to me. The slogans with "instant" and "life" seem
out of place... what about the SeaMonkey experience is "instant"? Will
it be my best friend?

the suite, reborn.
+browser + mail. all in one.

the internet - at your fingertips.

-surf & mail. instantly. live.

-instant life - on the internet.
-live the net. instantly.

+browse. mail. compose. chat.
-connecting lives. instantly.
+the complete internet experience

professional web, mail & more
suite life
internet for professionals

-instantly live.
advanced internet
+the internet has never been so suite.
+suite surfing

tame the suite waters.
it's alive!

--
Andrew Schultz
aj...@buffalo.edu
http://www.sens.buffalo.edu/~ajs42/

Stefan Hermes

Mar 28, 2007, 4:12:27 PM3/28/07
to dev-apps-...@lists.mozilla.org
I vote for:

browse. mail. compose. chat.
the complete internet experience

the internet has never been so suite.

The last one is catchy, and I like it -- but I'm a bit sceptic to it as
an "official" slogan. The first one is the best imo (well, might need to
think of a future calendar as well - "organize" or something?).

/Stefan

Inbox.com is giving away free iPODs, movie tickets and gigabytes!
Learn more about this contest on http://www.inbox.com/contest

Benoit Renard

Mar 28, 2007, 4:30:42 PM3/28/07
+ the suite, reborn.
- browser + mail. all in one.
- the internet - at your fingertips.
- surf & mail. instantly. live. (like M$' Live? :( )

- instant life - on the internet.
- live the net. instantly.
+ browse. mail. compose. chat.
- connecting lives. instantly. (sounds like a bad advertisement)

+ the complete internet experience
- professional web, mail & more (what about regular users?)
- suite life
- internet for professionals (end-users?)
- instantly live. (live... what?)
+ advanced internet
+ the internet has never been so suite.
- suite surfing
+ tame the suite waters.
- it's alive! (only makes sense to people who know the project)

Ruediger Lahl

Mar 28, 2007, 4:44:20 PM3/28/07
*Robert Kaiser* wrote:

> There are no prices, and this is not a contest. It's just a try to get
> input and leverage the dev community for selecting new slogans.

But the idea is nice :-)

http://lahls.de/temp/pic/sm-logo1.png (10KB) ;-)
--
best regards

Georg Maaß

Mar 28, 2007, 5:29:31 PM3/28/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> the internet - at your fingertips.

it it not just internet. It is much more. It is a small office suite. It
has a very simple word processor (composer), it has eMail and other kind
of communication (chatzilla), it has a richt browser with many
additional tools to extend. Together with a callendar it completely can
replace MS-Exechange with its clients IEsel and MS Outlaw.

I very often use the composer to simply create documents, that have
nothing to do with internet, but are just for storage in the archive in
a allways readable barriere free format. To make people angry sent them
a *.docx that no one can read and all forces to buy new hardware and new
software to be able to read that. Documents created with the composer do
not create such trouble.

So it is really a simple "office suite". I use it for this.

Philip Chee

Mar 28, 2007, 9:14:08 PM3/28/07
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:37:17 +0100, Rickles wrote:

> How's about this approach:
> Internet. Inbox. In One.

Internet! Onna Stick! Geddit while its still hot!

CMOT Phil

--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>
[ ]Beam me up, Scotty. This isn't the men's room.

Chris Ilias

Mar 29, 2007, 1:58:02 AM3/29/07
On 28/03/2007 11:46 AM, _Robert Kaiser_ spoke thusly:

> This is a good description of what our software is, but it's a bit long
> and not at all catchy. Firefox's "the browser, reloaded." or
> Thunderbird's "reclaim your inbox." sound much better in ears of
> potential users, and I believe we also can find something catchier.

You like "the browser, reloaded"? If I understand correctly, that slogan
was scrapped a long time ago (2004). It was changed to "Take back the
web." [1] That was then changed to "Rediscover the web," and
Thunderbird's "reclaim your inbox" is an adaption of that.

[1]<https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/marketing-public/2004-February/001150.html>

But on to SeaMonkey...

> I did a bit of brainstorming to find some possible slogans, and I'd like
> to hear from you which ones you really like, which ones you dislike, or
> which additional ones you propose. I'll try to do some simple table
> summing up what feedback people are giving here, so in your reply,
> please prefix slogans you really like with a "+", ones you do really
> dislike with a "-" and new ones you propose with nothing or a space.

-the suite, reborn.
+browser + mail. all in one.
-the internet - at your fingertips.

-surf & mail. instantly. live.

-instant life - on the internet.
-live the net. instantly.

-browse. mail. compose. chat.

-connecting lives. instantly.
+the complete internet experience

-professional web, mail & more

-suite life
-internet for professionals
-instantly live.

-advanced internet
-the internet has never been so suite.

-suite surfing
-tame the suite waters.

-it's alive!

Obviously I dislike almost all of them. Let's avoid inside references,
like "suite". Many people consider Firefox/Thunderbird to be a suite. A
suite can be a number of separate applications offered in one package;
so I'm willing to bet that most people are not going to make the
correlation between "suite" and "all-in-one." It's especially bad, when
combined with a pun (translation issues aside).

One of the reasons the name "SeaMonkey" is bad, is because it says
nothing about what the product is. I say don't bother with any brine
shrimp ideas.

Here's my only current offering:
"One program is all anyone needs"
That has room for change: "One program is all you need," or use
'product' or 'icon' instead of 'program'. Or instead of 'needs', it
could be 'uses'.
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Eddie-MacG3

Mar 29, 2007, 4:19:44 AM3/29/07
Mar 29, 12:58 am, Chris Ilias:
> ... the name "SeaMonkey" ...

> says nothing about what the product is.

The SeaMonkey Internet Productivity Kit

Eddie

3k.st...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2007, 4:38:16 AM3/29/07
+ the suite, reborn.
- browser + mail. all in one.
+ the internet - at your fingertips.
- surf & mail. instantly. live.
- instant life - on the internet.
+ live the net. instantly.

- browse. mail. compose. chat.
+ connecting lives. instantly.
- the complete internet experience
+ professional web, mail & more

- suite life
- internet for professionals
+ instantly live.

+ advanced internet
+ the internet has never been so suite.
- suite surfing
- tame the suite waters.
+ it's alive!

Eddie-MacG3

Mar 29, 2007, 5:07:50 AM3/29/07
Mar 29, 3:19 am, "Eddie-MacG3":

> The SeaMonkey Internet Productivity Kit

The SeaMonkey Internet Productivity Kit

The Silicon Valley Technology Innovation Culture

The SeaMonkey Kit facilitates: Internet Productivity
The Silicon Valley Culture facilitates: Technology Innovation

SeaMonkey mission: Internet Productivity
Silicon Valley mission: Technology Innovation

SeaMonkey key word: Productivity
Silicon Valley key word: Innovation

S..{eaMonk}..ey
S..{ilicon Vall}..ey

Eddie

Eddie-MacG3

Mar 29, 2007, 5:20:09 AM3/29/07
Mar 28, 10:46 am, Robert Kaiser:
> the complete internet experience

The Complete Internet Experience

The SeaMonkey Internet Productivity Kit

Complete <--> Kit
Experience <--> Productivity

The SeaMonkey Internet Productivity Kit provides:
The Complete Internet Experience

Eddie

Neil

Mar 29, 2007, 6:37:16 AM3/29/07
Ricardo Palomares Martinez wrote:

> Get all the Internet at once!

+

Serge Gautherie

Mar 29, 2007, 6:46:07 AM3/29/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:

- the suite, reborn.

browser + mail. all in one.

- the internet - at your fingertips.

- surf & mail. instantly. live.
- instant life - on the internet.

- live the net. instantly.

browse. mail. compose. chat.
- connecting lives. instantly.

the complete internet experience
- professional web, mail & more

- suite life
- internet for professionals

- instantly live.

advanced internet
+ the internet has never been so suite.

suite surfing
- tame the suite waters.

- it's alive!

the suite, continued

Robert Kaiser

Mar 29, 2007, 7:50:04 AM3/29/07
Eddie-MacG3 schrieb:
> Complete <--> Kit

"Kit" is already taken by some other Mozilla animal...

His name is Kit... Developer Kit :)

http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2007/03/22/his-name-is-kit-developer-kit/

Robert Kaiser

Robert Kaiser

Mar 29, 2007, 8:04:10 AM3/29/07
Chris Ilias schrieb:

> You like "the browser, reloaded"? If I understand correctly, that slogan
> was scrapped a long time ago (2004). It was changed to "Take back the
> web." [1] That was then changed to "Rediscover the web," and
> Thunderbird's "reclaim your inbox" is an adaption of that.

Uh, true. Well, they're all catchier than "all-in-one internet
application suite" ;-)
And I don't expect our slogan to be permanent. We can change it, we can
use a small selection of different ones (that's why I was talking of 3)
and we can even leave the "all-in-one internet application suite" in
some places (we probably won't use it in new marketing-only material
though).

> One of the reasons the name "SeaMonkey" is bad, is because it says
> nothing about what the product is. I say don't bother with any brine
> shrimp ideas.

Names like "Firefox", "Camino" or "Thunderbird" (as many others) also
don't say what the product is, so that's no big deal to me.

> Here's my only current offering:
> "One program is all anyone needs"
> That has room for change: "One program is all you need," or use
> 'product' or 'icon' instead of 'program'. Or instead of 'needs', it
> could be 'uses'.

And IMHO it's plain wrong. I need lots and lots of other programs than
SeaMonkey. Like xine, GIMP, kdetv, Konqueror (the file manager), licq,
kwin, the Linux kernel, xmms, just to mention a few of the plethora of
program I need and use.
SeaMonkey is the main Internet app on my computer though. And then, I
think the slogan should probably somehow point into some direction where
one can guess that we're different from Firefox. And it should be short
and easy to grasp. Not easy to do that all at once though :)

Robert Kaiser

Eddie-MacG3

Mar 29, 2007, 10:32:31 AM3/29/07
Mar 29, 6:50 am, Robert Kaiser:

> "Kit" is already taken by some other Mozilla animal...

Sorry, I forgot about that.

The SeaMonkey Internet Productivity Suite, perhaps?

Eddie

Sailfish

Mar 29, 2007, 10:32:59 AM3/29/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> For the past time, the SeaMonkey project just has taken over the slogan
> already in use by the Mozilla suite for its (rare) marketing stuff, and
> therefore we're using "all-in-one internet application suite" in many
> areas.

> This is a good description of what our software is, but it's a bit long
> and not at all catchy. Firefox's "the browser, reloaded." or
> Thunderbird's "reclaim your inbox." sound much better in ears of
> potential users, and I believe we also can find something catchier.
>
> When we get more visible with SeaMonkey (community) marketing stuff (see
> also <http://home.kairo.at/blog/2007-03/seamonkey_marketing> if you
> haven't read it yet), I think we should have a small collection of about
> 3 slogans we're using at various places, and which ideally are catchy
> enough to produce some interest of people who don't know SeaMonkey yet,
> so they click on a logo/button with that, follow a URL from a T-shirt
> with it or whatever to get informed about our software.
>
> I did a bit of brainstorming to find some possible slogans, and I'd like
> to hear from you which ones you really like, which ones you dislike, or
> which additional ones you propose. I'll try to do some simple table
> summing up what feedback people are giving here, so in your reply,
> please prefix slogans you really like with a "+", ones you do really
> dislike with a "-" and new ones you propose with nothing or a space.
>
> For some of my proposals, I tried to describe what our software is, some
> are playing with the "instant life" slogan of Sea-Monkeys (the brine
> shrimp), some are playing with the suite/sweet analogy (those are
> probably hard to translate though when we're trying to do localized
> marketing material). Here they are:
>
> the suite, reborn.
> browser + mail. all in one.
> the internet - at your fingertips.
> surf & mail. instantly. live.
> instant life - on the internet.
> live the net. instantly.
> browse. mail. compose. chat.
> connecting lives. instantly.
> the complete internet experience
> professional web, mail & more
> suite life
> internet for professionals
> instantly live.
> advanced internet

> the internet has never been so suite.
> suite surfing
> tame the suite waters.
> it's alive!
>

> I'm curious about your comments :)

Browser, Mail, Contacts, Composer, IRC - Altogether
Browser, Mail, Contacts, Composer, IRC - "We've got it all"
Seamonkey - One program, many solutions
Seamonkey - A bundle of Internet joy!
Seamonkey - When compatibility matters

My preference is the last one. It's intentionally ambiguous since
compatibility could refer to the relationship of the components to each
other or to emerging standards or even to component workability with
each new release and it applies in all cases.

Robert Kaiser

Mar 29, 2007, 8:05:32 PM3/29/07
Robert Kaiser schrieb:

> Ruediger Lahl schrieb:
>> What is the prise for the winner?
>
> There are no prices, and this is not a contest.

And, actually, there are no prizes either (thanks Chris for pointing me
to that) ;-)

Robert Kaiser

Steve Chapel

Mar 29, 2007, 8:58:54 PM3/29/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> For the past time, the SeaMonkey project just has taken over the slogan
> already in use by the Mozilla suite for its (rare) marketing stuff, and
> therefore we're using "all-in-one internet application suite" in many
> areas.
>
> This is a good description of what our software is, but it's a bit long
> and not at all catchy. Firefox's "the browser, reloaded." or
> Thunderbird's "reclaim your inbox." sound much better in ears of
> potential users, and I believe we also can find something catchier.

I'm sure we can find something catchier. However, it seems to me that
Firefox's target audience is different from SeaMonkey's. Firefox needs
to go for the users currently using Internet Explorer to significantly
increase its share. SeaMonkey's target audience is mostly current users
of the Mozilla Application Suite and Netscape 7 and those looking for a
suite of internet applications
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey:Project_Goals>. The slogan
"all-in-one internet application suite" may not be as catchy as
Firefox's, but it may suit SeaMonkey's target audience better.

Anyway, it's just something to keep in mind while people are evaluating
suggestions. Just because a slogan is catchy doesn't necessarily make it
the right one for SeaMonkey. It should also make SeaMonkey sound
appealing *to the target audience* by differentiating itself from
Firefox. The phrase "internet suite" or something similar just may be
the best one for this target audience, clunky though it may sound to IE
users.

Goolic

Mar 29, 2007, 10:02:43 PM3/29/07
SeaMonkey
+All the web at your hand
+Its all you need

Paul Bergsagel

Mar 29, 2007, 10:11:29 PM3/29/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> For the past time, the SeaMonkey project just has taken over the slogan
> already in use by the Mozilla suite for its (rare) marketing stuff, and
> therefore we're using "all-in-one internet application suite" in many
> areas.
>
> This is a good description of what our software is, but it's a bit long
> and not at all catchy. Firefox's "the browser, reloaded." or
> Thunderbird's "reclaim your inbox." sound much better in ears of
> potential users, and I believe we also can find something catchier.
>
> When we get more visible with SeaMonkey (community) marketing stuff (see
> also <http://home.kairo.at/blog/2007-03/seamonkey_marketing> if you
> haven't read it yet), I think we should have a small collection of about
> 3 slogans we're using at various places, and which ideally are catchy
> enough to produce some interest of people who don't know SeaMonkey yet,
> so they click on a logo/button with that, follow a URL from a T-shirt
> with it or whatever to get informed about our software.
>
> I did a bit of brainstorming to find some possible slogans, and I'd like
> to hear from you which ones you really like, which ones you dislike, or
> which additional ones you propose. I'll try to do some simple table
> summing up what feedback people are giving here, so in your reply,
> please prefix slogans you really like with a "+", ones you do really
> dislike with a "-" and new ones you propose with nothing or a space.
>
> For some of my proposals, I tried to describe what our software is, some
> are playing with the "instant life" slogan of Sea-Monkeys (the brine
> shrimp), some are playing with the suite/sweet analogy (those are
> probably hard to translate though when we're trying to do localized
> marketing material). Here they are:

Alright here are my choices:

-the suite, reborn.
-browser + mail. all in one.
+the internet - at your fingertips.

-surf & mail. instantly. live.

-instant life - on the internet.

live the net. instantly.
browse. mail. compose. chat.

-connecting lives. instantly.
+the complete internet experience

professional web, mail & more

-suite life

internet for professionals
-instantly live.
advanced internet

-the internet has never been so suite.
-suite surfing
-tame the suite waters.
-it's alive!

+The Internet Suite
+Internet Suite

I like to include a small SeaMonkey logo in my signature in email and at
Chat forums. For this to work the icon has to be small. Thus the
description of SeaMonkey is best if it is short and to the point. I like
"The Internet Suite" or "Internet Suite" when using a small SeaMonkey
icon. Something like "the internet - at your fingertips" while I like it
would be too long a description to use with a small SeaMonkey icon to
insert in a signature of an email or chat forum.

j.k...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2007, 8:34:57 AM3/30/07
The [real] Internet Revealed.

Branislav Rozbora

Mar 30, 2007, 9:05:08 AM3/30/07
Here are my suggestions:

comfortable suite
and internet(web) is easy
suite for your comfort
all for your web(internet)

;-)
BR

Tomas Putnoky

Mar 30, 2007, 1:07:52 PM3/30/07
hello, what`s about something like this? http://img109.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chucksf4.jpg

Ruediger Lahl

Mar 30, 2007, 2:22:54 PM3/30/07
*Tomas Putnoky* wrote:

> hello, what`s about something like this?
> http://img109.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chucksf4.jpg

Nice :-)
--
best regards

AliMente

Mar 31, 2007, 6:08:56 AM3/31/07
On 28 Mrz., 21:38, "Eddie-MacG3" <GreatnessG...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > + the complete internet experience
>
> This one has been "+"ed by nearly Everyone.

Right, and I agree. These "suite/sweet" analogies are hard to catch
for non-native speakers. I only understood it when I read which way it
was meant. Like a joke, they are losing much of their interestingness
when they need to be explained first...

Thinking about completeness, what about "One for all"? As in The Three
Musketeers. The story is known around the world so I guess it
translates pretty well into any language.

wormsxulla

Mar 31, 2007, 6:15:29 AM3/31/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:

-the suite, reborn.
-browser + mail. all in one.

-instant life - on the internet.

-live the net. instantly.
-connecting lives. instantly.

-the internet has never been so suite.
-suite surfing
-tame the suite waters.

Brainstorming now:

Be computer-able, get working abilities
You are internet-able, get working abilities
Get. Abilities. Working.
Get your internet abilities to work
Your internet abilities. Working
I want total control.
Total control surfing.

.Surf-ABLE,
..Chat-ABLE,
...Mail-ABLE,
....News-ABLE,
.....Compos-ABLE,
......RELY-able,
.......EXPAND-able:
Chose abilities (chose to be ABLE)

Chose abilites that are just usable.
Seamonkey: USE-able
Chosability. Usability.

Expand your surf

MORE than one and right for YOU

Designed to suit you
Made to suit you
Suit your surf, suit your needs - it works!
Suit your surf, suit your needs - suite works!
Suitable. For you
Seamonkey, the Suit-ability
Seamonkey, the Suit-abilities

Not just one, all the best!

Want more? Get more!
Why just browse? Take power.
You've got the power.

Pro and Play.
Work and Play. Secure.
Secure surfing, Pro powers.

Seamonkey, Surf more, See more, Do more.

Monkey *AND* business. (that one, not sure :-p)
The Monkey with more than one trick
Monkies know more tricks
SeaMonkey, no more tricks.
SeaMonkey, the route to Evolution
SeaMonkey, the root from Evolution
SeaMonkey, From Suite to Evolution

SeaMonkey gives you MORE.
SeaMonkey, because YOU know what YOU need.
Have a Monkey and a smile.

Robert Kaiser

Mar 31, 2007, 7:03:19 AM3/31/07
wormsxulla schrieb:

> SeaMonkey, the route to Evolution
> SeaMonkey, the root from Evolution
> SeaMonkey, From Suite to Evolution

Those can't work, as Evolution is a direct competitor as a mail client.

Also remember that the intention is to write those under the "SeaMonkey"
word, next to the SeaMonkey logo, so no need to duplicate our name
there. Also, the current slogan is long enough to get pretty small in
writing there, so we probably want something shorter.

Thanks for your input though!

Robert Kaiser

werwolf

Mar 31, 2007, 8:43:56 AM3/31/07
Great web-technologies in a small beast.

WERWOLF

HoTMetaL

Mar 31, 2007, 1:27:34 PM3/31/07
> the suite, reborn.

> browser + mail. all in one.
> the internet - at your fingertips.
> surf & mail. instantly. live.
> instant life - on the internet.
> live the net. instantly.
> browse. mail. compose. chat.
> connecting lives. instantly.

> the complete internet experience
> professional web, mail & more
> suite life
> internet for professionals
> instantly live.
> advanced internet
> the internet has never been so suite.
> suite surfing
> tame the suite waters.
> it's alive!
>

> I'm curious about your comments :)
>
> Robert Kaiser

I like the plays on the words "suite" and "live", but understand how
they could create problems in translation. I prefer the simple, yet more
personal variation of a suggestion by another in this thread:

"Your Internet. Your Inbox. In One."

David E. Ross

Mar 31, 2007, 2:48:50 PM3/31/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> For the past time, the SeaMonkey project just has taken over the slogan
> already in use by the Mozilla suite for its (rare) marketing stuff, and
> therefore we're using "all-in-one internet application suite" in many areas.

[snip]

Sometimes even brand names create difficulties in different languages.
As others pointed out, slogans can be even more difficult. This is
because they often involve ideomatic phrasing. Thus, I strongly suggest
that SeaMonkey localizers be tasked to develop localized slogans.

Since <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/> is an English
language page, I see nothing wrong with a slogan that is Anglo-centric
on that page. I like:
How Suite It Is!

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

Eddie-MacG3

Mar 31, 2007, 3:29:51 PM3/31/07
Mar 31, 6:03 am, Robert Kaiser:
> ... we probably want something shorter.

"How airmen earn nicknames"
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/03/airforce_nicknames_070331/
"One earned hers doing her job; tell us how you got yours"
"When Viss returned to her office, her vice commander was there
waiting.
"He started calling me '...,' " she said. "It spread through the wing
headquarters building ... and just kept going."
And going, all the way to cyberspace. The Philadelphia native, serving
with the 7th Bomb Wing, now signs off every e-mail as Carolyn "..."
Viss."

Maybe some out-of-the-rut brainstorming will help in coming up with
something short, witty, meaningful and translatable for SeaMonkey,
too.

Thank you,
Eddie

Scott

Mar 31, 2007, 6:36:30 PM3/31/07
Seamonkey.... Home Suite Home.

Scott

Rolf

Mar 31, 2007, 7:08:05 PM3/31/07
On 2007-03-31 20:48 CET,
David E. Ross wrote:

> Since <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/> is an English
> language page, I see nothing wrong with a slogan that is Anglo-centric
> on that page. I like:
> How Suite It Is!

or how the younger generation probably would express it these days:

How Suite isn't it?

;-)

--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070217
SeaMonkey/1.0.8 - Classic Theme - 266MHz Mobile Pentium II 288MB RAM

alex....@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2007, 1:04:21 AM4/1/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:

> ++ the suite, reborn.
> + browser + mail. all in one.
> + browse. mail. compose. chat.

> + the complete internet experience
> + suite life

All the rest are - for various reasons, but in general they just
didn't stick in my mind. The only other thing I would contribute is:

the internet, evolved

It's simple, yet advanced. :-) And at least in my mind, somewhat
catchy (I don't know if something else has used it though) and
"localisable".

Eddie-MacG3

Apr 1, 2007, 3:57:33 AM4/1/07
Mar 31, 2:29 pm, "Eddie-MacG3":

> Mar 31, 6:03 am, Robert Kaiser:
>
> > ... we probably want something shorter.

SeaMonkey Internet Environment

Eddie

John S. Thomsen

Apr 1, 2007, 4:41:30 AM4/1/07
+SeaMonkey - The Internet Suite
SeaMonkey - Pioneer of the Web

Georg Maaß

Apr 1, 2007, 8:48:38 AM4/1/07
HoTMetaL wrote:

> I like the plays on the words "suite" and "live"

But the music is "street life" not "suite live".

And SeaMonkey is more suite than sugar.

Juhani Tenhunen

Apr 1, 2007, 10:06:25 AM4/1/07
Surf like SeaMonkey on the Web:
navigate, mail, chat -
everything in a free Internet Suite!

E. Juhani Tenhunen
Helsinki, Finland

Rolf

Apr 1, 2007, 4:50:39 PM4/1/07
On 2007-03-28 17:46 CET,
Robert Kaiser wrote:

> and new ones you propose ...

"[[in] the] spirit of a proven concept"

crew...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2007, 7:08:44 PM4/1/07
++ the suite, reborn.
------- browser + mail. all in one.
-------- the internet - at your fingertips.
+ surf & mail. instantly. live.
------- instant life - on the internet.
---------live the net. instantly.
++++ browse. mail. compose. chat.
+connecting lives. instantly.

+ the complete internet experience
++- professional web, mail & more
++ suite life
-+internet for professionals
+- instantly live.
+++ advanced internet
----- the internet has never been so suite.
+ suite surfing
+- tame the suite waters.
-+ it's alive!+-

crew...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2007, 7:10:22 PM4/1/07
+++++ SeaMonkey - Pioneer of the Web

i like this

Dejan St

Apr 2, 2007, 12:44:40 PM4/2/07
I remember times when there was no Firefox and SeaMonkey - just
Mozilla.
I love that time. I am sad that SeaMonkey is trying to compete, even
with its kid brother, FF. Mozilla never needed that. I felt that we
who used Mozilla were trully free from all the problems and fuss all
others had. I felt that I could embrace entire net when I was using
Mozilla.
I surfed with style. Shouldn't SeaMonkey be like that?

Larry Belan

Apr 2, 2007, 12:50:15 PM4/2/07
crew...@gmail.com wrote:
> +++++ SeaMonkey - Pioneer of the Web
>
> i like this

I usually don't have much to say about slogans, but I was thinking of
something similar as:

The Internet: Covered.

but the above slogan made me rethink it a bit:

SeaMonkey: The Original Internet Communicator!

This harks back to the original Netscape Communicator, and does have a
proud history.

My $0.02.

--
Larry

grant...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2007, 3:20:50 PM4/2/07
Some one else suggested

"SeaMonkey DoMonkey"

I like

"Life is suite"

Rodney Whack

Apr 2, 2007, 4:43:06 PM4/2/07
On 3/28/2007 11:46 AM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> For the past time, the SeaMonkey project just has taken over the slogan
> already in use by the Mozilla suite for its (rare) marketing stuff, and
> therefore we're using "all-in-one internet application suite" in many
> areas.
>
> This is a good description of what our software is, but it's a bit long
> and not at all catchy. Firefox's "the browser, reloaded." or
> Thunderbird's "reclaim your inbox." sound much better in ears of
> potential users, and I believe we also can find something catchier.
>
> When we get more visible with SeaMonkey (community) marketing stuff (see
> also <http://home.kairo.at/blog/2007-03/seamonkey_marketing> if you
> haven't read it yet), I think we should have a small collection of about
> 3 slogans we're using at various places, and which ideally are catchy
> enough to produce some interest of people who don't know SeaMonkey yet,
> so they click on a logo/button with that, follow a URL from a T-shirt
> with it or whatever to get informed about our software.
>
> I did a bit of brainstorming to find some possible slogans, and I'd like
> to hear from you which ones you really like, which ones you dislike, or
> which additional ones you propose. I'll try to do some simple table
> summing up what feedback people are giving here, so in your reply,
> please prefix slogans you really like with a "+", ones you do really
> dislike with a "-" and new ones you propose with nothing or a space.
>
> For some of my proposals, I tried to describe what our software is, some
> are playing with the "instant life" slogan of Sea-Monkeys (the brine
> shrimp), some are playing with the suite/sweet analogy (those are
> probably hard to translate though when we're trying to do localized
> marketing material). Here they are:
>
> the suite, reborn.
> browser + mail. all in one.
> the internet - at your fingertips.
> surf & mail. instantly. live.
> instant life - on the internet.
> live the net. instantly.
> browse. mail. compose. chat.
> connecting lives. instantly.
> the complete internet experience
> professional web, mail & more
> suite life
> internet for professionals
> instantly live.
> advanced internet
> the internet has never been so suite.
> suite surfing
> tame the suite waters.
> it's alive!
>

> I'm curious about your comments :)
>
> Robert Kaiser
Has someone already said "How suite it is"?

David L. Ross

Apr 2, 2007, 5:09:16 PM4/2/07
How about "To the moon!"

Of course the idioms and cultural references are getting way too deep
for anyone not familiar with 50 B&W US TV to understand.

David E. Ross

Apr 2, 2007, 8:56:23 PM4/2/07

I believe the "Honeymooners" series is still being broadcast in
syndication. I don't know how "How sweet it is." translates into other
languages, but the series is seen around the world.

Catchy slogans do tend to be very ideomatic. Often, they are hard to
translate. Slogans that use puns (and there are many) are impossible to
translate. That's why, when I originally suggested "How suite it is!",
I also suggested different slogans for different localizations.

Philip Chee

Apr 2, 2007, 9:04:15 PM4/2/07

Hey of all the suggestions yours is the only slogan I like:
"Surf with Style with SeaMonkey!" Keeps with the aquatic theme of
SEAmonkey too. Perhaps we could change the SM logo to a Teenage Mutant
Ninja brineshrip on a surfboard? Nah.

Samurai Surfing Robots Phil

--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>
[ ]If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!

Rodney Whack

Apr 2, 2007, 9:28:28 PM4/2/07
That's a good one :D

spov...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2007, 4:21:24 PM4/4/07
One suite to rule them all.

episco...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2007, 6:48:30 PM4/4/07

"Suite life" and basically any pun on suite - sweet have been done by
a crappy Disney Channel sitcom about full-time hotel employees, so I
think those can basically be scrapped

curio...@googlemail.com

Apr 5, 2007, 8:06:12 AM4/5/07
How about "suits you" :-) simple and easy

regards
Curious

werwolf

Apr 6, 2007, 9:06:51 AM4/6/07
What do you say to this?

Karsten Düsterloh

Apr 6, 2007, 1:10:52 PM4/6/07
curio...@googlemail.com aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:

> How about "suits you" :-) simple and easy

I quite like that one.
Or even in variations: "SeaMonkey - suits me" as a promotion banner, etc.

Karsten
--
Feel free to correct my English. :)

Georg Maaß

Apr 6, 2007, 1:19:16 PM4/6/07
Karsten Düsterloh wrote:

> curio...@googlemail.com aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
>
>>How about "suits you" :-) simple and easy
>

> I quite like that one.
> Or even in variations: "SeaMonkey - suits me" as a promotion banner, etc.

And what's about

SeaMonkey - your suite temptation

sounds similiar to the Milka chocolate commercials

Karsten Düsterloh

Apr 6, 2007, 5:00:36 PM4/6/07
Georg Maaß aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:

> And what's about
>
> SeaMonkey - your suite temptation
>
> sounds similiar to the Milka chocolate commercials

And exactly that's the problem - redoing other's slogans isn't very
stunning or creating imaginative ties to SeaMonkey...

ion

Apr 7, 2007, 6:35:33 PM4/7/07
How about "the internet's back together." This asserts that SeaMonkey
is the single application a user needs for internet tasks, while
harkening back to the Netscape application suite.

suthermix

Apr 9, 2007, 3:02:46 PM4/9/07

Sea Monkey-the tale of evolution

Chris Ilias

Apr 11, 2007, 3:20:14 AM4/11/07
On 07/04/2007 6:35 PM, _ion_ spoke thusly:

> How about "the internet's back together." This asserts that SeaMonkey
> is the single application a user needs for internet tasks, while
> harkening back to the Netscape application suite.

I like the 'together' motif.
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Vicne

Apr 11, 2007, 4:43:43 AM4/11/07
On Mar 28, 5:46 pm, Robert Kaiser <k...@kairo.at> wrote:
> - the suite, reborn.
> + browser + mail. all in one.
> + the internet - at your fingertips.
> - surf & mail. instantly. live.
> - instant life - on the internet.
> - live the net. instantly.
> browse. mail. compose. chat.
> - connecting lives. instantly.

> + the complete internet experience
> + professional web, mail & more
> - suite life
> ++ internet for professionals
> - instantly live.
> + advanced internet
> - the internet has never been so suite.
> - suite surfing
> - tame the suite waters.
> -- it's alive!

I like this one too:

> SeaMonkey - Pioneer of the Web

And on to the brainstorming (sorry, I know I sound old-fashioned) :

(the) Internet, all in one
Integrated communication

I also like to see Seamonkey as a steamer vs FF/TB as small speedy
boats. Small boats may win in races (market share) because they're
lighter, but steamers reliably go their route through storms (browser
wars). And "Sea Monkey" is not a bad name for a steamer :-).
Does that inspire someone ?

Vicne

Karsten Düsterloh

Apr 11, 2007, 4:22:12 PM4/11/07
Vicne aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:

> I also like to see Seamonkey as a steamer vs FF/TB as small speedy
> boats. Small boats may win in races (market share) because they're
> lighter, but steamers reliably go their route through storms (browser
> wars). And "Sea Monkey" is not a bad name for a steamer :-).
> Does that inspire someone ?

Weeeeell, certain steamers were sunk by human hubris, so I'm not sure I
want to follow your path here... ;-)

Neil

Apr 12, 2007, 4:18:45 PM4/12/07
Karsten Düsterloh wrote:

So, we have to watch out in case Debian releases IceBerg?

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

hinotori

Apr 13, 2007, 3:21:53 PM4/13/07
Is it you energy?
The slogan which I considered is・・・

"The life without a boundary line."

See you.

jonadab.the...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2007, 8:31:32 PM4/14/07
> the suite, reborn.
Requires WAY too much background knowledge.

> browser + mail. all in one.

> surf & mail. instantly. live.

These two are too complex, and they don't even cover the whole suite.

> the internet - at your fingertips.

Perhaps.

> instant life - on the internet.

> live the net. instantly.
I like the direction these are taking, but they are both trying to
make
two separate points, and a slogan really needs to hit *one* point.
I would try to boil them down, perhaps something along these lines:
* life on the internet
* live the net

Of these, I like "live the net" best, but only in an audio or audio-
visual
medium, where the pronunciation of "live" can be heard so that it
comes across as a verb. For print, I would prefer "life on the
internet".

If you really want to hit the idea of instantness (which I'm not sure
is really one of Seamonkey's strong points, but...) then perhaps
something like one of these:
* instant internet
* the instant life
But I prefer the others.

> browse. mail. compose. chat.
Hmmm... on the one hand, it's four ideas. But on the other
hand each idea is expressed in a single word, which I like, and
the four ideas arguably go together to create a single idea.

> connecting lives. instantly.
If this could be reworked into a single three-word sentence,
you might have something. I'm not sure how to word that,
though.

> the complete internet experience
Perhaps.

> professional web, mail & more

Way too complicated.

> suite life
Requires too much background knowledge, and is also based on a
pun, which makes it hard to take seriously.

> internet for professionals
I find it hard to get excited about this one.

> instantly live.
Maybe, but it seems too vague to me.

> advanced internet
One thing I've learned, working at a public library, is that the word
"advanced" scares people away.

> the internet has never been so suite.

> suite surfing
> tame the suite waters.

Wow, some slogan writer really likes the word "suite". Most people,
however, just aren't going to understand what the internet has to do
with a set of rooms in a building. Requires too much background
information.

> it's alive!
With the right marketing campaign, that could be made to work.
Potentially. But serious creative work would be required.

All said, I really like "live the net" (in audio or audio/video
media)
or else "life on the internet" (if it has to work in print). It's a
simple
idea, and an easy one to paint in a positive light. It can be used
in a flexible variety of ways, with advertisements and whatnot
covering different /aspects/ of life on the net.

For instance, one time you could have a thirty-year-old woman
sending email to her kids, and that's "life on the net". Another
time you have a fourteen-year-old girl chatting with her friends
from school, and that's "life on the net". Another time you've
got a grad student blogging his chem-lab experiences and
swapping stories with people who are out there working in
the field, and that's "life on the net". And so on.

And you can still also take the approach that some of those
other slogans would force you into, and spotlight several
of the major components of the suite in a single feature,
and sum it up with "That's my life on the net", implying that
this software can do everything, manage your whole life,
all in one package. On the internnet.

There's just room for a lot of different approaches with a
slogan like that. "Life on the net." I like it.

The only caveat I would point out is that it seems obvious,
so it might be worth doing a quick search to check that it
hasn't already been taken. It would be a shame to launch
with a slogan and then find out that somebody considers
your new slogan to be their prior intellectual property.

unfm...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2007, 3:24:04 PM4/23/07
How about:
Redefine the internet
Rediscover the internet
or as someone said, it's more than just the internet, but a whole
office suite:

Redefine your office...

Meghan

than.p...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2007, 4:16:40 AM4/24/07

- the suite, reborn.
- browser + mail. all in one.
- the internet - at your fingertips.

- surf & mail. instantly. live.
- instant life - on the internet.
- live the net. instantly.

- browse. mail. compose. chat.

- connecting lives. instantly.
+ the complete internet experience

- professional web, mail & more
- suite life
- internet for professionals
- instantly live.
- advanced internet

- the internet has never been so suite.
- suite surfing
- tame the suite waters.

- it's alive!

internet suit(e)s you!
suit(e)s me fine!
a suite for all

Ken Herron

Apr 24, 2007, 5:13:42 PM4/24/07
Sorry for the late entry. I didn't see anyone else suggest these, but
perhaps I overlooked someone:

"The amazing Seamonkey! Just add Internet."

or simply

"Just add Internet."

Michal Kec (MiK)

Apr 25, 2007, 4:39:30 PM4/25/07
to dev-apps-...@lists.mozilla.org
> please prefix slogans you really like with a "+", ones you do really
> dislike with a "-" and new ones you propose with nothing or a space.

+ instant life - on the internet.
+ connecting lives. instantly.

+ the complete internet experience

+ internet for professionals
+ advanced internet
+ the internet has never been so suite.

> I'm curious about your comments :)

1. SeaMonkey is integrated
More than just a browser.
More / better than you expected.
Integrated / comprehensive experience.
Integrated / comprehensive solution.

2. SeaMonkey is powerful
Who controls the SeaMonkey controls the Internet. :-)
Control the net - get SeaMonkey.

3. SeaMonkey is friendly
Just suits me. ;-)

MiK

PS: One suite to rule them all.

Robert Wyatt

Apr 25, 2007, 5:53:28 PM4/25/07
"Nothing but 'net."

Chris Ilias

Apr 28, 2007, 6:58:43 PM4/28/07
On 25/04/2007 4:39 PM, _Michal Kec (MiK)_ spoke thusly:

> 2. SeaMonkey is powerful
> Who controls the SeaMonkey controls the Internet. :-)
> Control the net - get SeaMonkey.

I like the "control" theme. SeaMonkey's UI is supposed to be more
in-depth, than other browsers. Tout the idea of being in more control of
your internet experience.

Andy Willis

Apr 28, 2007, 8:37:00 PM4/28/07
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 25/04/2007 4:39 PM, _Michal Kec (MiK)_ spoke thusly:
>> 2. SeaMonkey is powerful
>> Who controls the SeaMonkey controls the Internet. :-)
>> Control the net - get SeaMonkey.
>
> I like the "control" theme. SeaMonkey's UI is supposed to be more
> in-depth, than other browsers. Tout the idea of being in more control of
> your internet experience.
I concur, I like the "control" theme as well.
Andy

Benoit Renard

Apr 29, 2007, 6:20:44 PM4/29/07
I like it as well, though the slogans take it from the wrong angle.
Using SeaMonkey won't let you control the Internet, but control /your
Internet experience/.

Karsten Düsterloh

Apr 29, 2007, 7:00:57 PM4/29/07
Benoit Renard aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:

> I like it as well, though the slogans take it from the wrong angle.
> Using SeaMonkey won't let you control the Internet, but control /your
> Internet experience/.

This is quite a relief since I intend to change my HD without migrating
all of its data... *_*

Robert Kaiser

May 19, 2007, 12:53:09 PM5/19/07
Robert Kaiser schrieb:

> I'm curious about your comments :)

Here are the results of that first round of finding the new slogan(s)
for future SeaMonkey artwork. I counted every + as adding 1 point to the
score, every - as subtracting 1 point, only counting one plus or minus
per person and slogan proposal.

First let's look at the initial proposals:

the complete internet experience +14
browse. mail. compose. chat. +5
advanced internet +3
professional web, mail & more +1
surfing the internet has never been so suite. +1
the suite, reborn. -2
it's alive! -6
the internet - at your fingertips. -6
browser + mail. all in one. -8
internet for professionals -9
suite surfing -9
connecting lives. instantly. -10
suite life -10
tame the suite waters. -12
instantly live. -13
live the net. instantly. -13
surf & mail. instantly. live. -14
instant life - on the internet. -16

And here is the list of additional proposals that came up during the
discussions:

Control the net +2
Pioneer of the Web +2
suits you +2
Designed to suit you +1
Get all the Internet at once! +1
Internet. Inbox. In One. +1
A bundle of Internet joy! 0
A Life Connections Environment 0
all for your web(internet) 0
All internet 0
All the web at your hand 0
and internet(web) is easy 0
because YOU know what YOU need. 0
Browser, Mail, Contacts, Composer, IRC - "We've got it all" 0
Browser, Mail, Contacts, Composer, IRC - Altogether 0
Chosability. Usability. 0
comfortable suite 0
For total information preparation, get the Cuisinart of browsers 0
Get what you want! 0
Great web-technologies in a small beast. 0
Home Suite Home. 0
How Suite It Is! 0
Integrated communication 0
Integrated experience. 0
Internet controlled 0
Internet mastered 0
It's all you need 0
Just add Internet. 0
Life is suite 0
More than just a browser. 0
More than you expected. 0
Nothing but 'net. 0
One for all 0
One program is all anyone needs 0
One program, many solutions 0
One suite to rule them all. 0
Redefine the internet 0
spirit of a proven concept 0
Suitable. For you 0
suite for your comfort 0
Surf more, See more, Do more. 0
The [real] Internet Revealed. 0
The Internet Productivity Kit 0
The Internet Suite 0
the Internet, all in one 0
the internet, evolved 0
the internet's back together. 0
The life without a boundary line. 0
The only Hummer in the browser wars 0
The Original Internet Communicator! 0
the suite, continued 0
the Suit-abilities 0
To cut through the net jungle, use Swiss Army Knife of browsers 0
Total control surfing. 0
total/global/integrated internet experience 0
When compatibility matters 0
Work and Play. Secure. 0
You've got the power. 0
Your Life, Connected 0
your suite temptation 0

The question now is what to do with those results. How to find a winner
or several winners (We could probably use up to about three slogans on
web buttons, etc.)?

Robert Kaiser

Georg Maaß

May 19, 2007, 1:44:26 PM5/19/07
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> The question now is what to do with those results. How to find a winner
> or several winners (We could probably use up to about three slogans on
> web buttons, etc.)?
>
> Robert Kaiser

You may repeat them all in a pool of slogans for selecting one to be
displayed at browser start using the calculated ranking to control how
often each is repeated.

Robert Kaiser

May 19, 2007, 5:43:28 PM5/19/07
Georg Maaß schrieb:

Those slogans are _only_ thought for marketing material like web-page
link buttons, etc. That was the whole purpose for this thread.

We will not display any slogan on browser start in the near future, and
the splash screen we currently have on 1.x versions will stay unchanged.

Robert Kaiser

Asrail

May 19, 2007, 7:04:39 PM5/19/07
Robert Kaiser, 19-05-2007 13:53:

> Robert Kaiser schrieb:
>> I'm curious about your comments :)
>
> Here are the results of that first round of finding the new slogan(s)
> for future SeaMonkey artwork. I counted every + as adding 1 point to the
> score, every - as subtracting 1 point, only counting one plus or minus
> per person and slogan proposal.
>
> First let's look at the initial proposals:
> [...]

> The question now is what to do with those results. How to find a winner
> or several winners (We could probably use up to about three slogans on
> web buttons, etc.)?

a) Use the three with more votes

b) Make a second round with only the options that got a positive number
of votes.

I would propose each person choosing the three best for him and counting
+1 for each slogan (no -1).

So we probably would avoid to choosing slogans likely one to another
(voting is more complex than gaming).

Chris Ilias

May 20, 2007, 1:28:18 AM5/20/07
On 19/05/2007 12:53 PM, _Robert Kaiser_ spoke thusly:
> Control the net +2

FWIW, I didn't like "Control the net". I just like the 'control' theme.
'Control' of your internet experience, not the net.

> The question now is what to do with those results. How to find a winner
> or several winners (We could probably use up to about three slogans on
> web buttons, etc.)?

I would assume, the same way the product name was chosen.

Robert Kaiser

May 20, 2007, 6:55:21 AM5/20/07
Chris Ilias schrieb:

> On 19/05/2007 12:53 PM, _Robert Kaiser_ spoke thusly:
>> The question now is what to do with those results. How to find a
>> winner or several winners (We could probably use up to about three
>> slogans on web buttons, etc.)?
>
> I would assume, the same way the product name was chosen.

That was a complete in-Council process.

Such slogans for web buttons, etc. are mainly for the community to use,
and theoretically, you could use any slogan when linking to SeaMonkey on
your website as long as you follow the trademark policy (which is not
public yet).
So selecting slogans to use for stuff that gets on our collection of
marketing material is a mere guideline, and the slogan(s) can even be
changed easily enough later on (Firefox also has the third different
slogan right now, AFAIK).

Because of all that, I think an open community-process here in the
newsgroup is a better approach.

What about going with another round of voting in here, but without any
new proposals (I guess we have enough of those already), and excluding
all which had negative sum in the first round.
The question is if we do 1) another +/- round among the remaining ones,
or 2) does everyone get the chance to nominate his 2 favorites or 3)
something completely different?

Robert Kaiser

Message has been deleted

Robert Kaiser

May 20, 2007, 6:56:15 AM5/20/07
Chris Ilias schrieb:

> On 19/05/2007 12:53 PM, _Robert Kaiser_ spoke thusly:
>> The question now is what to do with those results. How to find a
>> winner or several winners (We could probably use up to about three
>> slogans on web buttons, etc.)?
>
> I would assume, the same way the product name was chosen.

That was a complete in-Council process.

Such slogans for web buttons, etc. are mainly for the community to use,
and theoretically, you could use any slogan when linking to SeaMonkey on
your website as long as you follow the trademark policy (which is not
public yet).
So selecting slogans to use for stuff that gets on our collection of
marketing material is a mere guideline, and the slogan(s) can even be
changed easily enough later on (Firefox also has the third different
slogan right now, AFAIK).

Because of all that, I think an open community-process here in the
newsgroup is a better approach.

What about going with another round of voting in here, but without any
new proposals (I guess we have enough of those already), and excluding
all which had negative sum in the first round.
The question is if we do 1) another +/- round among the remaining ones,

or 2) does everyone get the chance to nominate his 3 favorites or 3)