About:Tab Progress?

1 view

Omega X

Aug 30, 2009, 3:52:40 PM8/30/09
Has the About:Tab project been put on hold?

I've noticed that both Ubiquity and JetPack gets regular updates. And
both of those are Aza's projects as well. But nothing about the New Tab
feature since April.

Mike Beltzner

Aug 30, 2009, 4:11:08 PM8/30/09
to Omega X, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
On 30-Aug-09, at 3:52 PM, Omega X wrote:

> Has the About:Tab project been put on hold?

I do not believe that the Mozilla Labs team has done a lot more with
the project recently, no.

> I've noticed that both Ubiquity and JetPack gets regular updates.
> And both of those are Aza's projects as well. But nothing about the
> New Tab feature since April.

The last I heard there were some great mockups for the next iteration
of the design (provided by Sean Martell) but since it was a bit of a
performance drain as implemented, work first needed to be done
improving that. The Firefox development team has looked at it a bit,
and we'll re-examine for Firefox 3.7, scheduled for an early 2010
release. In the meantime, we're busy finishing up Firefox 3.6 :)

(FWIW, Ubiquity and JetPack are both Mozilla Labs projects with active
communities, Aza amongst them and providing a great deal of creative
leadership, but it's inaccurate to describe them as projects
"belonging" to someone.)

cheers,
mike

Omega X