Firefox 3.5 nightly builds?

1 view

John J. Barton

Jun 3, 2009, 12:53:14 AM6/3/09
I ask about this every once in a while, just in case it can make a
difference: Where can we find the Firefox 3.5 nightly builds?

Web search on 'firefox nightly build' gives:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/

It has lots of stuff, but where is the 3.5 nightly build?
Oh, of course, it's under latest-mozilla-1.9.1/. So obvious.

jjb

John J. Barton

Jun 3, 2009, 11:22:31 AM6/3/09
John J. Barton wrote:
> I ask about this every once in a while, just in case it can make a
> difference: Where can we find the Firefox 3.5 nightly builds?
>
> Web search on 'firefox nightly build' gives:
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/

Beltzner suggested updating:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Downloading_Nightly_or_Trunk_Builds
which I did. I also opened a bug (496071)to get a README.TXT into the
page /nightly/ above.

jjb

Mike Beltzner

Jun 3, 2009, 1:04:27 AM6/3/09
to John J. Barton, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org

Glad you were able to find it. Perhaps you'd like to take your
experience and make the documentation at

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Downloading_Nightly_or_Trunk_Builds

better and easier to follow, with more up to date links that explain
what the various nightly builds are. It's especially tricky now that
we have multiple branches, but I'm sure with your help it will be a
much better experience for everyone.

cheers,
mike

Mike Beltzner

Jun 3, 2009, 2:06:19 AM6/3/09
On 3-Jun-09, at 2:09 AM, John J. Barton wrote:

> Mike Beltzner wrote:

>> Glad you were able to find it. Perhaps you'd like to take your
>> experience and make the documentation at
>>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Downloading_Nightly_or_Trunk_Builds

> ok, I wrote something. Of course no one can find that page unless
> they are reading this newsgroup...

Maybe if you were to link helpfully to it from your webpage its page
rank score would increase. Fortunately, MDC is often pointed-to as a
resource for people to go to when they're learning how to get
involved, and that page is part of the normal flow of "getting
started" documentation.

I suppose if you wanted to propose an easier to understand directory
structure for our FTP server, you could file a bug on
mozilla.org::Server Operations

cheers,
mike

Mike Shaver

Jun 3, 2009, 12:04:04 PM6/3/09
to John J. Barton, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
What John means here is "I think it'd be great if it were easier to
find the nightly builds, since they're valuable for testing and
development", but I think his SNARKLOCK key was accidentally set. :-).
He's totally right, of course.

We should do something like nightly.mozilla.org with changelogs and
better links (and bug-filing template links that match the different
builds), for sure. When I get to internet I'll try to elaborate a
plan!

Mike

Gervase Markham

Jun 5, 2009, 1:17:41 PM6/5/09
On 03/06/09 05:53, John J. Barton wrote:
> It has lots of stuff, but where is the 3.5 nightly build?
> Oh, of course, it's under latest-mozilla-1.9.1/. So obvious.

In the past, this problem has been mitigated by the use of symlinks...

Gerv

nibl

Jun 6, 2009, 5:24:44 AM6/6/09
Good point, I had the same problem finding betas/nightly builds.

As Gerv said, many servers use symlinks. For example Debian will have
a "stable" symlink to which name the stable version is currently
running.

For search engines symlinks on FTP servers may not be descriptive
enough so there ought to be a page on MDC which explains the system
and has an updated link.

If you are not involved in mozilla then you won't know which mozilla
branch contains what you are looking for.

I had a similar problem with Xorg, which is even more confusing. I had
to ask some developers for which source files I needed, and even they
had to correct themselves or take a second look.

Mozilla is fairly simple, still, but with more branches it might be
helpful to have a reference table of which code lives where under what
name.

Marcus

Gavin Sharp

Jun 6, 2009, 10:30:23 PM6/6/09
to nibl, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 5:24 AM, nibl<word...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Good point, I had the same problem finding betas/nightly builds.
>
> As Gerv said, many servers use symlinks. For example Debian will have
> a "stable" symlink to which name the stable version is currently
> running.

I've filed bug 496763 asking for latest-firefox-3.0.x and
latest-firefox-3.5.x symlinks.

Gavin