installing firefox 3.0.4 on Ubuntu

beef connective tissue

Nov 28, 2008, 5:30:18 AM11/28/08
I downloaded and extracted but I'm still on 3.0.3

possibly the files were extracted to the wrong directory, where should
they be ?

Kevin Brosnan

Nov 28, 2008, 8:58:35 AM11/28/08
to beef connective tissue, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org

On Ubuntu and any other Linux distribution updates are a pushed via
Synaptic updating system. Unless you have a specific reason to use the
download from mozilla.com you should allow Ubuntu to control the
updates. There is a bit of lag between the Mozilla release and the
update from Ubuntu being released. Generally the security fixes
included in the updates are not actively seen in the wild.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Linux#Installing_outside_of_a_package_manager

beef connective tissue

Nov 28, 2008, 11:57:07 AM11/28/08
On Nov 28, 2:58 pm, "Kevin Brosnan" <kbros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 05:30, beef connective tissue
>
> <michaelnewp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I downloaded and extracted but I'm still on 3.0.3
>
> > possibly the files were extracted to the wrong directory, where should
> > they be ?
>
> On Ubuntu and any other Linux distribution updates are a pushed via
> Synaptic updating system. Unless you have a specific reason to use the
> download from mozilla.com you should allow Ubuntu to control the
> updates. There is a bit of lag between the Mozilla release and the
> update from Ubuntu being released. Generally the security fixes
> included in the updates are not actively seen in the wild.
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Linux#Insta...

for some reason this didn't happen :-(

Kevin Brosnan

Nov 28, 2008, 12:10:15 PM11/28/08
to beef connective tissue, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org

Ubuntu 8.10 has Firefox 3.0.4 in the updates
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/web/firefox

It is possible that your system has not picked up the updates.To
manually check "To check for updates yourself, choose System →
Administration → Update Manager and press Check"

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/keeping-safe/C/updates.html

beef connective tissue

Nov 28, 2008, 1:14:12 PM11/28/08
On Nov 28, 6:10 pm, "Kevin Brosnan" <kbros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:57, beef connective tissue
>
> <michaelnewp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 28, 2:58 pm, "Kevin Brosnan" <kbros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> On Ubuntu and any other Linux distribution updates are a pushed via
> >> Synaptic updating system. Unless you have a specific reason to use the
> >> download from mozilla.com you should allow Ubuntu to control the
> >> updates. There is a bit of lag between the Mozilla release and the
> >> update from Ubuntu being released. Generally the security fixes
> >> included in the updates are not actively seen in the wild.
>
> >>http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Linux#Insta...
>
> > for some reason this didn't happen :-(
>
> Ubuntu 8.10 has Firefox 3.0.4 in the updateshttp://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/web/firefox

> It is possible that your system has not picked up the updates.To
> manually check "To check for updates yourself, choose System →
> Administration → Update Manager and press Check"
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/keeping-safe/C/updates.html

if I cancel the 8.10 update, will it start again from where it left
off ?

beef connective tissue

Dec 1, 2008, 2:15:36 PM12/1/08
On Nov 28, 7:14 pm, beef connective tissue <michaelnewp...@yahoo.com>