Firefox browser problem: width:30ex does not respect font

Xah Lee

Oct 11, 2006, 9:50:04 AM10/11/06
Look at this page
http://xahlee.org/emacs/wrap-url.html
Look at it in Firebox, look at it in Safari, in Opera, and look at it
in Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The only fucked up case, is Firefox.
Namely, that it does not respect the font used when dealing with
«width:80ex».
The way to test this visually, is by this code:
<pre style="border:thin black solid;
width:30ex">iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii</pre>

See also:
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/responsible_license.html
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/bug_report_attitude.html

Xah
x...@xahlee.org
http://xahlee.org/

gato2006chile

Oct 11, 2006, 11:53:22 AM10/11/06
Xah Lee escribió:
ex one ex is the x-height of a font (x-height is usually about half
the font-size)

Xah Lee

Oct 13, 2006, 8:09:26 AM10/13/06
Ben C wrote:
« It does respect the font. Try it with a few fonts-- the width of the
box varies.»

Thanks. I just created a page here and tested it:
http://xahlee.org/js/width-ex.html

You are right that Firefox respect font when considering ex.
However, it turns out, FireFox is still incorrect. While, Safari and
Opera are correct. (the iCab browser does the worst here. It doesn't
respect font at all)

«You can fix your problem instead by using a shrink-to-fit box by
making it absolutely positioned, floated, or using a table. Obviously
the content may need other changes if these have other unwanted
sideeffects.»

mm... interesting suggestions. Thanks. One thing that won't work with
FireFox is display:table. When using display:table, FireFox will omit
spaces between adjacent <span>, and it will also render line breaks
inside <pre> incorrectly.
(see here for the former:
http://xahlee.org/js/linebreak_after_tag.html)

(IE doesn't shrink wrap the border for display:table at all)

Perhaps i'll try floated or absolutely positioned...

Xah
x...@xahlee.org
http://xahlee.org/

Ben C wrote:

> On 2006-10-11, Xah Lee <x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
> > Look at this page
> > http://xahlee.org/emacs/wrap-url.html
> > Look at it in Firebox, look at it in Safari, in Opera, and look at it
> > in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
> >
> > The only fucked up case, is Firefox.
> > Namely, that it does not respect the font used when dealing with
> > «width:80ex».
> > The way to test this visually, is by this code:
> ><pre style="border:thin black solid;
> > width:30ex">iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii</pre>
>

> It does respect the font. Try it with a few fonts-- the width of the box
> varies.
>
> "ex" is a measurement of font _height_. The font used for <pre> is often
> something like Courier, in which the x is short and fat. So 30 x-heights
> is not wide enough for 30 'x's.
>
> Note also that if the user isn't using a monospaced font for <pre> (they
> usually do, but don't have to) this wouldn't work even if 1ex were the
> width of an ex.
>
> You can fix your problem instead by using a shrink-to-fit box by making
> it absolutely positioned, floated, or using a table. Obviously the
> content may need other changes if these have other unwanted sideeffects.

Xah Lee

Oct 31, 2006, 8:54:13 PM10/31/06
is there a way to make the various tool bars in FireFox vertical or
pull off?
e.g. on the side like in IE or Opera?

I have tabs, web dev tool bar, bookmark bar, nav bar, stumbleupon bar,
and they take too much space on top.

Xah
x...@xahlee.org
http://xahlee.org/

Hass

Nov 1, 2006, 9:03:50 AM11/1/06
There are extensions for this...

pxclassic.net/misc/tbx.xpi

To use this, create a new toolbar (View>Toolbars>Customize...>Add New
Toolbar), then drag and drop your navbar buttons etc to the new
toolbar(s). Then right-click the new bar and choose the location.
Uncheck Navigation Toolbar under View>Toolbars and your done.

For tabs, TMP gives you an option to display tabs on the side or
bottom...

http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2582

Hope that helps.

~hhh

Brian Polidoro

Nov 1, 2006, 11:13:36 AM11/1/06

This makes me think of the one thing I saw that I thought was good about
Netscape 8: the multibar.
http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/product/multibar.jsp
Although I never actually tried using it. And I don't have any extra
toolbars.

I still had hoped someone would make a Firefox extension like this.

Brian Polidoro

ehume

Nov 1, 2006, 8:24:35 PM11/1/06
There is a more modern extension for doing this:

Toolbar Control

http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html#toolbarc