Ubuntu Firefox UA string

Marek Stępień

Oct 26, 2006, 3:52:13 PM10/26/06
I just installed Ubuntu 6.10 and their Firefox's UA string is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; pl-PL; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/0000000000
Firefox/2.0 (Ubuntu-edgy)

Those zeroes look strange, don't you think?

I filed a bug in their bug tracker:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/68459

Also, it seems that for some locales they're using the old ab-CD ids
(e.g. from Fx 1.5 up we've been using "pl" for Polish, not "pl-PL").

--
Marek Stępień <mar...@aviary.pl>
AviaryPL - polski zespół lokalizacyjny Mozilli

nrth...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2006, 5:12:42 PM10/26/06
Marek Stepien wrote:
> I just installed Ubuntu 6.10 and their Firefox's UA string is:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; pl-PL; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/0000000000
> Firefox/2.0 (Ubuntu-edgy)
>
> Those zeroes look strange, don't you think?
>
> I filed a bug in their bug tracker:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/68459

Most likely they didn't set BUILD_OFFICIAL=1

Philip Chee

Oct 26, 2006, 9:54:25 PM10/26/06

Ubuntu inherits all this from Debian. One of the reasons for the
flamewar between debian.legal and mozilla.legal is that the debian
maintainers broke the firefox package on debian with a bunch of wrong
headed changes to the Firefox code.

Phil
--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>
[ ]He does the work of three men: Larry, Moe and Curly.

Mark Pilgrim

Oct 26, 2006, 11:37:35 PM10/26/06
to Philip Chee, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org

FUD. http://web.glandium.org/blog/?p=97

--
Cheers,
-Mark

Robert Sayre

Oct 27, 2006, 1:33:06 AM10/27/06
to Mark Pilgrim, Philip Chee, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
Mark Pilgrim wrote:

> FUD. http://web.glandium.org/blog/?p=97

Hmm, no.

I happen to know that the Debian build broke a few high-profile
websites, because I use them and encountered the breakage. This means
the Debian build was breaking basic Firefox-to-Firefox compatibility,
one of our goals, even though they considered their changes improvements.

BTW, "Debian" is a registered trademark of Software in the Public
Interest, Inc. That blog post should probably have included a cute
little "R" after each mention of Debian.

For example, you can't decide to replace some libraries because you
don't like the tradeoff the upstream Debian maintainer made. Actually,
you can. But you can't call your Linux CD "Debian". Well, you can ask
them first, but if they say no, you're left with Weaselebian or
FreezerDoorbian or something. If you ask a Debian guy about that,
they'll say "that's a bug". Indeed.

-Rob

Mark Pilgrim

Oct 27, 2006, 1:38:48 AM10/27/06
to Robert Sayre, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
On 10/27/06, Robert Sayre <say...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I happen to know that the Debian build broke a few high-profile
> websites, because I use them and encountered the breakage.

Did you file a bug?

--
Cheers,
-Mark

Robert Sayre

Oct 27, 2006, 1:41:44 AM10/27/06
to Mark Pilgrim, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
Mark Pilgrim wrote:

> Did you file a bug?

Informally, yes. But don't you think that rather misses the point of my
message?

-Rob

Robert Kaiser

Oct 27, 2006, 1:16:50 PM10/27/06
Philip Chee schrieb:

> On 26 Oct 2006 14:12:42 -0700, nrth...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Marek Stepien wrote:
>>> I just installed Ubuntu 6.10 and their Firefox's UA string is:
>
>>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; pl-PL; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/0000000000
>>> Firefox/2.0 (Ubuntu-edgy)
>
>>> Those zeroes look strange, don't you think?
>
>>> I filed a bug in their bug tracker:
>>> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/68459
>
>> Most likely they didn't set BUILD_OFFICIAL=1
>
> Ubuntu inherits all this from Debian. One of the reasons for the
> flamewar between debian.legal and mozilla.legal is that the debian
> maintainers broke the firefox package on debian with a bunch of wrong
> headed changes to the Firefox code.

We know the Debian(R) stuff, but ubuntu has special non-Debian
agreements with Mozilla Corporation about shipping a real "Firefox"(R).

And as ubuntu and MoCo are working together in a friendly relationship,
both sides should actually be willing to resolve this issue.

Robert Kaiser